Alec Baldwin's

Threatening Message to Daughter

4/22/2007 4:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

An enraged Alec Baldwin unleashed a volcanic tirade of threats and insults on his 11-year-old daughter, Ireland, calling her a "thoughtless little pig," and bashing her mother Kim Basinger -- and TMZ has obtained the whole thing unfiltered and raw. And we've learned, a family law judge was so alarmed after hearing the tape, she has temporarily barred Baldwin from having any contact with his child.

Alec Baldwin Daughter Phone Message
After Ireland failed to answer her father's scheduled morning phone call from New York on April 11, Alec went berserk on her voice mail, saying "Once again, I have made an ass of myself trying to get to a phone," adding, "you have insulted me for the last time."

Switching his train of thought, Baldwin then exercised his incredible parenting skills and took a shot at his ex-wife, declaring, "I don't give a damn that you're 12-years-old or 11-years-old, or a child, or that your mother is a thoughtless pain in the ass who doesn't care about what you do." The irate Baldwin went on to say, "You've made me feel like s**t" and threatened to "straighten your ass out."

"This crap you pull on me with this goddamn phone situation that you would never dream of doing to your mother," screamed Baldwin, "and you do it to me constantly over and over again."

Before hanging up, Baldwin warned the child, "You better be ready Friday the 20th to meet with me." That's tomorrow.

We've learned that on Wednesday, Los Angeles County Superior Court commissioner Maren Nelson heard the tape and temporarily suspended Baldwin's visitation rights. A hearing is set for May 4, where the judge could permanently deny Baldwin visitation or contact with Ireland.

Calls to Basinger's attorneys, celebrity lawyers Neal Hersh and Judy Bogen, were not returned.

Baldwin's lawyer, Vicki Greene, told TMZ, "Whatever happened yesterday was sealed and confidential. What you're telling me you've got you shouldn't have."

UPDATE: Basinger's publicist, Annette Wolfe, told TMZ: "The voicemail speaks for itself."

UPDATE: A friend of Alec Baldwin's just contacted TMZ to say that the actor called Ireland last week and apologized for his outburst. The friend added that Ireland is the most important thing in the world to Alec and that he is frustrated because over the last six years, Kim has "tried everything" to alienate Ireland from him.

UPDATE: Alec Baldwin's spokesperson released the following statement to the TV show "EXTRA": "In the best interest of the child, Alec will do what the mother is pathologically incapable of doing ... keeping his mouth shut and obeying the court order. The mother and her lawyer leaked this sealed material in violation of a court order. Although Alec acknowledges that he should have used different language in parenting his child, everyone who knows him privately knows what he has been put through for the past six years."

cdn

Parenting from a distance can be lonely and unappreciated.

His actions were stupid and hurtful. Shame on you for your behavior no matter how understandable that level of frustration can be. Welcome to being a parent of a soon to be teenager. Its only going to get worse. Yelling and insulting gets you no were. Time for some family counceling.

But he should absolutely be in her life with instructions and guidance for everyone involved.
AND
Shame on whoever aired the dirty laundry - that is the one who should be judged here.

CDN

Lin

Some of the comments here scare me more than Alec's out of control tirade against his child. What is wrong with people that they excuse a grown man talking to his young duaghter in this fashion? And have people failed to notice that this message was quite threatening as well? I DON'T CARE IF THIS JERK WAS FRUSTRATED! I DON'T CARE IF KIM B IS TO BLAME AND HAS PLAYED GAMES WITH THE CHILD'S HEAD! None of that matters! An adult should exersize self control and should not stoop to name calling and threatening a child....how much more effective it would have been if he had said to her, " I love you and yet you persist in ignoring my pre-arranged phone calls. I go out of my way to connect with you and would do anything to preserve my relationship with you, and when you won't pick up the phone, you hurt me and you hurt our relatonship....." Why not be an adult and not a bully? Blaming Kim is the usual failure to accept respnsoiiblity for one's actions. Even his apology was not a real apology. I am not letting Kim B off the hook either. IT appears as if these are two immature, spiteful people in the process of tearing apart a child. What a shame.

Em

Ya, he probably shouldn't have cussed. There isn't really an excuse. However, if there is a judge out there with a kid and they accuse Baldwin of being some kind of aweful parent and deny rights- they ARE HYPOCRITES. I don't believe there is a single parent that goes an entire child's lifetime without yelling at them-maybe not cussing. But Alec's tone was not unusual to a normal parent. That kid probably is a spoiled brat- she has parents that are celebrities come on. I am happy that he cares enough about her to not want her to act the way she does.
I wonder what would happen if everyone who wrote comments here and got to judge on this case had their dirty laundry waved out for the world to see. How embarrassing. I bet you would be the last "to cast the first stone".

Serenity

All of you people that are supporting Alec Baldwin and say that he just lost his temper with his daughter and she's probably just a spoiled brat....I have one thing to say....you all are a bunch of "stupid pigs"....I figured since Alec could be forgiven for it it must not be wrong to say. All you have to do is enter verbal abuse into your browser and you can read the defination of it....it doesn't matter if he can't stand Kim and wishes her the worst in the world that DOES NOT give him the right to talk to his daughter that way....we teach our children before they do anything out of anger to count to 10 I also think this rule should carry to adulthood. Words hurt, people, just as much if not more than fists.....bruises on the outside heal but bruises on the inside never heal....I was never abused by my parents verbally or otherwise but was verbally abused by a guy I dated for 3 years and it's been 10 years now and I have never forgotten those words and probably never will.

Brian

What he did is what any parent in America has done to there children at some point in time. Matter of fact if more parents got into there kids little behinds we wouldn't have all this crazy madness going on in the world today, As for me I in the same situation as Mr Baldwin is with a nasty divorce custody case, and you do have manipulitive bitter parents out there who brain wash there children.So i supposed if he diciplined her if she had done something terribly wrong to cause her to get a spanking. Would that also be abuse? I think you people need to stay out of people affairs and private matters and let them deal with what their dealing with as a family. I say kudos to Mr. Baldwin cause who knows how many times he probably called before and she didnt pick up the phone, so there for she probably was being a rotton little pig!!!!!!!!!

Whitney

I don't think this voicemail is really as bad as people are making it seem. Its obvious that he has reached the end of his rope and finally had to express his disgust. We as the public have absolutely no idea what is going on behind the scenes in this relationship. Judging from this message there is alot that is going on and we as complete outsiders do not have the right to base or judge anyone for actions when we don't even know all the facts!!!

Bon

EVERYBODY makes mistakes and EVERYBODY loses their temper or takes out their frustration on the wrong person every now and then. The sad part is that Mr. Baldwin is a celebrity and all his secrets and mistakes are out in the open in public view. The same people that cast judgement against Mr. Baldwin and the first ones to cast the first stones are the same people that have said and done much worse than this. Some of you may not even remember some the stupid crap that ya'll have said because ya'll were to wasted to remember anything. TMZ you have done a disservice to parents everywhere by putting his business out there. Family business stays at home. I'm not saying that what he did was ok....what I am saying is that this man is obviously going through a lot of stress with the divorce and the costady battle. And just because he made a mistake does not mean that he is a bad or abusive parent. This just means he's like every other imperfect parent that loves their children.

Andrew Nelson

I am not a fan of Mr. Baldwin's politics, but it is reprehensible that his message to his daughter was leaked to the media. I know he loves his daughter and was probably trying to correct his daughters behavior in wording that he and she knows would correct it, or a least get her attention.

R.H.

I am appalled at how many people feel it was ok for Alec Baldwin to yell at his daughter like that. Most of those people wrote about children learning to respect their parents. I always thought the best way to teach a child was to display the very behavior that you want them to learn. Also, most girls with abusive fathers will grow up to marry abusive men. It's time for parents to own up to the horrible job they are doing in raising today's children.

R.H.

Before you decide whether Alec Baldwin's comments were abusive or not, think about this. If someone said that to you, and then they died before you saw them again, how would you remember them?

Pamela Gallagher

I don't think Alec should lose visitation rights with his daughter. I do believe what he said to his daughter was very wrong, but we have all yelled at our children and said innapropriate things only to regret it later. I am sure he realizes what he said was wrong, it is unfortunate that everyone in America has to hear about it. Let him and his daughter work this out together, it is important that she has her father in her life.....

susu

I totally understand how a parent could lose it and hurt the wrong person, but in his case he is angry all the time anyway. He probably thrives on anger..I've been around enough people in my life that are angry all the time anyway.The day they brought Ireland home, Alec Baldwin sprayed whipped cream all over a cameraman's camera. She probably should have figured it out then, but she was in love But living with someone like that gets real old real fast..

Stoopboy

I dont give a rats ass what he said on the message. Neither should anyone else. He didnt say he was going to hurt anyone.
The problem is the wife giving him limits. Noone should have limits unless they are a criminal already. He is the father and he should get 50/50 on everything.
Everyone gets angry and if you felt disrespected, im sure you would let the other person know it. If he wasnt LIMITED to a certain time of day to call then he wouldnt get so angry if the other person didnt even have the phone turned on. Sounds like it happened a few other times by him being so angry. So until you WALK in his shoes, dont pass judgement. I am not divorced or have kids anywhere else. I have 1 son(5) and there are many times when he drives me crazy when i tell him to brush his teeth,take a bath, and many other simple things in life. Its easier to deal with because he is "THERE" unlike Mr Baldwin's daughter who is "MILES AWAY" from him, so its alot harder to deal with because he doesnt know if its done on purpose.
LEAVE HIM ALONE, its a famil affair.
Of course the lawyers love it because they are vampires and will suck more "blood money" out of them.

RafiM

I understand his frustration, having gone through something similar when my ex-wife violated a court order and moved out of state. There's an enormous, overwhelming amount of frustration that takes a hold of you and can very easily make you irrational. On the other hand, I sort of remember reading a story after their breakup where Kim said that he was constantly abusive and always berated her. Could this be Kharma working its magic?

Kit

I just heard the entire voicemail and it made my hair stand on end. It was much worse than I thought and went on and on in a violent, threatening tone. I was stunned, and I am an adult. Can you imagine what an 11 year old girl felt like being talked to her by her FATHER like she was a piece of crap? If Alec was like this during their marriage I can see why Kim wants to keep him away from their daughter. I like Alec but that rant was beyond what any father should say to his daughter and I bet this wasn't the first time. It was evil, if I had been Ireland I would have been terrified to be alone with this man. CRAZY!!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments