Rapper Backs Off "Snitching" Comments

4/26/2007 2:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Cam'ronCam'ron is apologizing for his comments on Sunday's "60 Minutes," where he told Anderson Cooper that he wouldn't turn in a serial killer if he were living next door to one. Good thing he doesn't host a radio show.

As part of a story about snitching, Cam'ron said, "If I knew the serial killer was living next door to me? I wouldn't call and tell anybody on him -- but I'd probably move. But I'm not going to call and be like, 'The serial killer's in 4E.'" Word?

In a statement, Cam'ron tried to explain what he said, "Where I come from, once word gets out that you've cooperated with the police that only makes you a bigger target of criminal violence. That is a dark reality in so many neighborhoods like mine across America. I'm not saying it's right, but it's reality."

Cam'ron went on -- "Looking back now, I can see how those comments could be viewed as offensive, especially to those who have suffered their own personal tragedies or to those who put their lives on the line to protect our citizens from crime," the rap star said in a statement issued today. "Please understand that I was expressing my own personal frustration at my own personal circumstances. I in no way was intending to be malicious or harmful. I apologize deeply for this error in judgment."

aSiF

I love the way no one called out #9 for his racist comment. I'm guessing he's got a small member, mommy didn't love him enough and daddy told him he was stupid. Poor, Poor limited mentality.

TH

So much for blacks wanting to be treated and viewed as equals. The 60 Minutes segment was eye-opening and enlightening, and underscores a rather perverted lack of social and moral conscience for themselves, their community and human values. With this type of hostility and hatred towards themselves, which ids perpetrated by rappers, religious (and political leaders), and the black community at large, it's no wonder why this group just doesn't get it. They are their own worst enemy. They're self-destructing themselves and the rest of us are supposed to feel sorry for them. Not any more.

wth

this guy is sick to the bone , he will move away and not warn people in the neighood a seial killer is their neighbour. what a lowlife human he is .hope people stop buying any crap he sings . never heard of him before til i saw AC on cnn.

getthefout

These people who "Don't Snitch" should GROW THE HELL UP! Maybe one day when they mother, brother, sister etc....gets shot they will learn that all they are being is WEAK and SCARED!
What a bunch of LOSERS!

Funny Girl

I hope somebody shoots you and then nobody will tell who did it!

jessiedee

Who the hell writes for this guy?

Stephanie

Sounds more like cowardice to me.

Jessica

So instead of trying to help his community by stopping violence he is just going to keep his mouth shut and let it keep happening. No wonder his car got jacked in DC. He deserves it.

museone

its easy to live in a safe environment, and grow up differently, maybe priveliged, and criticize the dont snitch code

Kel

Listen, it's not right but that's the way it is in a lot a places. Let me tell you what happened to my brother. He lives in Queens in a pretty nice area. He called the cops. He called the building superintendent. He came home the next day and got jumped by 5 guys wlith pipes and bats. 4 cracked ribs , a skull fracture, and a broken nose. The cops want him to testify in court do you think it's he should?, well do you. He's still in and out of the hospital. Next time he'll take the law into his own hands!!

monique

Why apologize? Camron meant what he said, unfortunately. This type of ignorant thinking and behavior is contributing to the climate of crime and chaos in SOME communities.

Stephanie

Dianew, you fool. Idiocy comes in all colors.

aSiF

#35 - Sharpton was on 360 last night condeming Camron - I hate to be the one to stick up for the "Rev" because he's a poverty pimp. Perhaps you could get to some actual news sites so you can get informed.

Sara

It's a real shame that Cam'ron and others that come from neighborhoods like his have this mind-set. I think Cam'ron is ignorant to begin with and do not believe his apology was sincere or even thoughtful. This is why we have violence because those that threaten people to the point where they "let something go" only invites more violence. It makes the criminal feel invicible and that's the last thing we need to promote in this world is violence.

Tired and Ready for A Nap

Hypothetical Question ....

If this guy lived next door to a serial killer who, God forbid, kills someone close to me andthe serial killer is arrested and charged with the murder(s), what would happen if it became public knowledge that this guy KNEW that his neighbor was a serial killer. Would he, or anyone else who didn't tell, be able to be charged as an accessory to a murder because they knew the intent/predisposition of the neighbor and did NOTHING to warn others / tell the police?