Akon Axed by Verizon Over Simulated Rape

5/4/2007 4:44 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Rapper Akon has been fired by Verizon -- and is being threatened with prosecution -- after he reportedly simulated a rape of a 15-year-old on stage during a concert in Trinidad a few weeks ago.

Verizon promoted Akon as one of the musicians on its mobile-phone music service, and said it would no longer sponsor the Gwen Stefani tour in which Akon, who recently performed on "American Idol," is the opening act.

The rapper invited 15-year-old Danah Alleyne onto the stage, and the girl obliged, thinking that she was entering a dance contest to win a "trip to Africa," as Akon promised. But when Alleyne "won" the contest, the "trip to Africa" turned out to be an on-stage encounter with Akon during which her "head was hitting the floor, said Alleyne to the Trinidad Express (via FOX News).

In its account of the incident, the Trinidad Express said that the "Smack That" rapper was "turning, twisting and even flipping [the girl's] body," while "mimicking sexual positions" and sandwiching the girl with the assistance of another performer. The Security Minister Fitzgerald Hinds said, in FOX News' report, that Akon should be prosecuted.

This isn't the first time Akon has done some sketchy work on stage. TMZ obtained exclusive footage of Tara Reid getting the Akon treatment during a party at the Sundance Film Festival.

A rep for Verizon told TMZ they were sponsoring Akon and made a decision this week to end the relationship for, as they called it, "reasons." Beyond that, the rep would not elaborate.

Shonny

Stanz- If you knew anything at all about the story then you would know that her father approved of it saying his daughter won dance competitions and is just a victim of todays hip hop society. So now that everyone has heard about it he disapproves of it. So get your all your facts together before you actually comment and call it rape of any kind.

fmvei

That was just utterly disgusting and demoralizing. How could something like that be put on a stage? proves of his stupidity in coreography.
and yet thousands of teenagers look up to you and listen to your music, what an ass.

Shonny

#16- why don't you do the research on the whole situation and then get back at me. cause you appear to know nothing.

Shannon

Jessica:
That has nothing to do with the fact that it was simulated RAPE!!!!

W

What a PIG!!

ivy

Shonny -- if everything you say is true, why did Verizon drop their sponsorship?

TT

Did he know how old she was before he brought her on-stage? I wouldn't think that he generally IDs people before bringing them on stage. Are parents aware of what hiphop concerts are like before they decide to let there kids go? Even the Timberlake concert had lots of sexual references and swearing. As an adult, I like that concerts have adult content, but it isn't always the place for kids... just like bars, casinos, etc.

ivy

Shonny is a rapist.

Mechelle

#10... did you see the tape? He is throwing her around like a dog...I am sure she was bruised after that. I am so glad verizon pulled............

AKON IS A PUNK ASS BITCH. SOMEONE SHOULD THROW YOUR ASS AROUND LIKE THAT BITCH!

Nuno Horta

I bet he thought noone would check it because it was been done in Trinidad..
Set an example!!! SHAME ON YOU!!!
The bigger the power, the more the abuse......

Jessica

Shannon-I guarantee she wasn't hatin' that!! Look at her in the still shots....she's smiling and holding on to him. Ten bucks says that if he took her back stage she would have LOVED it. Now she's crying rape to get money. THATS why rape victims don't get taken seriously.

CK

I just saw him last weekend in concert and until now have loved his music. But now....what an asshole, how dare he do this to an underage girl, in front of people, after lying to her as to why she was on stage. I hope Gwen drops his disgusting ass too!!!! What a f_____ jerk!!

Vivian Chapman

Shame shame on him..throw the book at him!!!! This "type" has gotten away with too much too long...a 15 year old.my God!!!!

Catalina

I just watched the video. I like his music, but what he did was riddiculous. Fake sex is not dancing. That girl must have had a head ach at the very least by the time he was done with her. I'll be 10 bucks that sharpton won't comment on this.

Traycee

I still don't believe this girl was 15 years old. I've seen other pics of her on the web and she looks like a grown a$$ woman. While I don't warrant Akon's actions during his performance, I think attempting to prosecute him is going too far. IF she was in fact 15...what was she doing there in the first place??? There's so many questions to be asked regarding this entire situation.