Paris -- I'm Not Above the Law

5/9/2007 4:39 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Paris Hilton has issued the following statement through attorney Richard Hutton:

"After reading the media's coverage of my court hearing, I feel the need to correct what I believe are misperceptions about me. I absolutely realize how serious driving under the influence is. I could not live with myself if anyone was injured or killed while I was driving while impaired. Clearly, no one should -- no matter how slightly.

I am ready to face the consequences of violating probation.

No one is above the law. I surely am not. I do not expect to be treated better than anyone else who violated probation. However, my hope is that I will not be treated worse."

rjinchi

what a load - obviously written by her atty. Paris - big clue here is that there were no typos or mis-spellings..... now where is that petition> maybe I will SIHN it now. She needs to do time for violating probation. Atty tricks shouldnt work to keep her out of jail.

Richard

Hi.

This comment is not just for Paris Hilton, but for us all. Hold on to Peace. No matter where, no matter what, Hold on to Peace. No one is perfect. The human experience is not about perfection. However, we can hold on to Peace.

I like the world of entertainment. Paris Hilton may be viewed as a person that is only famous for being famous. But that's okay. One of the things that Entertainment does is help us forget about the daily trials we may go through, just from the living of our lives. I am a major fan of Anna Nicole Smith. Though she did several professional entertainment things, she has been viewed as a person famous for being famous. However, when I come home in the evening, and want to forget about the world outside for awhile, Anna Nicole Smith helped me to do that. In a way, Paris does to. Just by seeing them do what they do. Entertainment is about the moment, and how it fills the moment with pleasure, be it through what you see and or hear. Entertainment can be serious. But apart of the beauty of entertainment is that it's not a matter of life and death. It's an avenue that helps lighten the load on the mind.

Give Peace some focus. You will be better for it. I'm not a religious person. I don't believe in religious practices. I know that Peace is apart of the solution to any problem. Hold on to Peace. No matter where, no matter what, Hold on to Peace.

Missy

I can not believe we are waisting our time on this BS. Dont you people realize that we are paying for her to go to jail. Send her lil tail home with a fine and some community service....and then let it go!! If she gets caught again...which I am sure she want, then we can give her a little stiffer punishment. But we have others out there that need to go to jail worse then some probation violator...Paris Hilton. People please!

You Go California

Now she is not above the law???? Just the other day she was all over the media saying how unfair she was treated, how her sentence was unwarranted and how she did not deserve it. Did Jesus himself come down from Heaven and hit this b*tch over the head with a magic wand or something? I am not buying it. Nice save Paris. It is too late. You are transparent as glass.

Rob

You people think she is treated unfair ? She broke the law once. Then she broke it again knowing she wasn't supposed to drive. Who cares that someone told her she could. She has to take responsibility for herself. If her PR/attorneys told her she could drive it is still her fault. The law doesn't care who told her. The probably tell her she is a great actress also....NOT !! And to top it all off, she showed up 18 minutes late for court.

Court

45 days is ridiculous. A week behind bars should open her eyes if all this nonsense hasn't already. A week will still show Paris can't get away with everything and that she is not above the law. I know the courts want to use her as an example, but that WOULD be treating her worse than others. A week would do the trick.

newsjunkie

Dear Paris;

please have E! get there camera crews ready so we all can tune in to your new
REALITY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CANT WAIT!!!!

try2befair

Broke probation twice, first two she obviously didn't learn. Kids might be safer from the drunks like Hilton and co. if these rich snots realize they are not above the law. Have fun in prison bitch, now you'll be treated like anyone else that breaks the law!

WTF?

JEALOUS HATERS!!! ALL OF YOU!

I BET 90% OF YOU HAVE DRANK AND DROVE......IF YOU WEREN'T JEALOUS, YOU WOULDN'T CARE.

LEAVE HER ALONE! YOUR JUST FEEDING INTO HER IGNORANCE.......

TO HER MOTHER- GUESS YOU SHOULD HAVE RAISED YOUR DAUGHTER INSTEAD OF THE TURNSTYLE OF NANNIES YOU HAD!........SHAME ON YOU!

veronica_2288

I'm feel sorry for her. Yes, she should do her time. However, she is being treated like some cold blooded killer. She didn't hurt anyone, other then herself. She is 26yrs old, in my book just a kid. I'm not saying she shouldn't be punished, she should. But her crime isn't so bad that she needs to be treated like a big time criminal.

tami

How is it that her license is no longer suspended if she never took the class??? I believe most states have a similar law that you must take some kind of a driver's safety class before you can reinstate a suspended license. A suspension doesn't just magically lift off of your license, unless of course, you are Paris Hilton!

TonyToniTone

THIS is why you hire a GOOD DUI lawyer. Though... it's too little too late! She should have said this the moment the verdict was read, but she didn't. Why? Because she very well does think she IS above the law.

b rad

I find it entirely hilarious when people defend Paris saying she has been mistreated and doesn't deserve this sentence. She got a DUI, then drove with a suspended liscence, and then drove AGAIN with the same suspended liscence. A 45 day sentence for dangerous misbehavior and an obvious disregard for the law is in no way mistreatment. It's about time she is being held accountable for her actions.

UH...OHHHH!

I am ready to face the consequences of violating probation.

Then stop acting like a baby & take your punishment.
Be glad you didn't have an accident & get a FELONY.
Your whinning is annoying.
If you were acting mature you would have shown up early for court.
You are NOT above the law...........
Or are you?
Seems if you look at TMZ enough everytime you turn around celebs are breaking the law & basicly skating..........
Guess just the commoner deserves to pay massive fines & spend time in jail.

TMZ where in the hell is your coverage of Howard Stern & the Inquest of Daniel & the eviction of Horizons?
THAT is what we care to hear about after you spoon feeding us for eons & now zip on it...............
GIVE US what we want............
It is news & it is reportable.
Stick to the FACTS & the attorney threats shouldn't keep you from reporting what we want to read.
If not I'm out of here..................

Always wondering too when you hear of these teenyboppers & their drinking issues..........Are they even all legal drinking ages?

stanley

TO ALL OF YOU, INCLUDING PARIS! I GOT A DUI AND WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO VIOLATE MY PROBATION. I WAS SENTENCED TO SIXTY (60) DAYS IN JAIL IN THE SUMMER OF 2005! I ENDED UP DOING 51 DAYS WITH "GOOD TIME". SO TO THOSE OF YOU WHO SAY HER 45 DAYS ARE UNJUST, TRUST ME SHE IS GETTING OFF EASY!!!!!!!!!