"Lost" Diary -- Greatest Hits

5/17/2007 11:53 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

Tonight's episode is a Charlie flashback one, so obviously I am anticipating his (hopefully painful) demise. If you haven't been with me since the beginning, I hate Charlie. I think his character is useless on the show and it doesn't help things that the actor who plays him is dating Evangeline Lilly, who plays Kate. You can't be the worst character on one of my favorite shows AND date someone that hot. Just ain't right. So I apologize in advance if I spend half this episode begging for Charlie to die.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes. I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. This week the crew is Ari, Lauren, Marisa, April and Matt. April made cupcakes tonight and Charlie might die -- what more could I want? Let's roll:
Lost
10:00 -- "No matter what I do, you're gonna die, Charlie." -- Desmond, from a few weeks back. Please don't be a liar, Desmond. Please, please, please.

10:01 -- Someone goes running through the beach, grabs a boat, and makes off with it into the ocean. Couldn't really see who it was, but it looked like Karl, Alex's boyfriend.

10:02 -- "I don't know, stuff? Probably secret stuff." -- Hurley. Sawyer's attempts at humor have worn thin on me, but Hurley's have not.

10:03 -- When was the last time we saw so many characters together? Feels like the old band is back together.

10:04 -- Jack's speech was awesome. Seriously, I am ready to go and fight the Others right now (except for Henry Gale, of course). It was like he channeled his inner "Braveheart." The entire room just broke out in applause. Anyone who complained that Jack has turned into a (female cat) can rest rest easy now. Just one question: Why exactly did he blow up the tree?

10:07 -- Before this flashback starts, I am making a pledge: I will only say nice things about Charlie until he dies. This pledge only lasts for this episode. What are the odds I can keep it?

10:08 -- As soon as Lauren realized it was a Charlie flashback episode, she yelled out, "It's your night, Dan!" Don't jinx it Lauren.

10:09 -- Um, Charlie has nice handwriting.

10:10 -- "Look on the bright side: you're not really dead, right?" -- Naomi. Right?

10:11 -- The Others have a station, the Looking Glass, that jams all signals off the island, including Danielle's distress signal that has been playing for 16 years. Maybe if she explored the island a bit, she could have learned some of this stuff sooner.

10:12 -- Let's see ... um, Charlie is ... nice to Aaron ... when he isn't kidnapping him and dragging him into the ocean. Wait, does that count?

10:13 -- So, apparently, Charlie has to die for there to be a rescue. Seems like a fair trade to me, right? But wait ... they aren't getting rescued in the next two episodes (Hello? Three more seasons!) so there is no way the helicopter comes and Charlie can't die (at least not like that). Oh man, I am getting a bad feeling.

10:17 -- Um, Charlie was a cute kid.

10:18 -- So let's review now: the episode is called "Greatest Hits" and it's starting to feel like Charlie's flashback scenes are the most memorable moments of his life -- one might call them the greatest hits. Is this an homage to Charlie? A swan song? I am starting to get excited again.

10:19 -- It seems Charlie drowns to death. Slow and painful, I like that.

10:20 -- Charlie volunteers to swim to the hatch and flip the switch. He's admirable, I'll give him that.

10:21 -- Oh dear lord, I have never been so happy to see a middle-aged interracial couple in my whole life. I speak for every single "Lost" fan when I say this: We missed you, Rose and Bernard.
Lost
10:22 -- I am usually turned off to "Lost's" sappier moments, except when Sun and Jin are involved.

10:23 -- The boat from the beginning of the episode swims ashore, and lo and behold, it's Karl, who happens to take a nasty open-sand tackle from Sayid.

10:24 -- "No, they're coming tonight ... They're coming right now!" -- Karl. Uh oh.

10:27 -- "Here's your gun back." Henry Gale to Alex. How much do I love this man?

10:28 -- Whoa, so Henry Gale is planning on taking any women they can find and killing any men who get in their way. You're making it hard for me to love you, Henry.

10:29 -- Alex is the one who warned Karl to warn the Losties. Why exactly do the Others let her hang around when they make plans?

10:30 -- "Is he my father?" -- Alex. Wow, this is like that scene in "Empire Strikes Back" when Luke finds out Darth Vader is really his dad -- only the exact opposite.

10:31 -- "They know, Karl. But thanks." -- Juliet.

10:32 -- Two things about Jack's second "Braveheart" speech of the night. First of all, I'll say it again: welcome back, Jack. Glad you go your cajones back from Juliet's purse. Second, if Desmond is going to try and do something to help save Charlie, I will black out with rage. Just saying.

10:33 -- Another Charlie greatest hit and I can see why. Oh, it's because of his brother and the ring. Eh, I guess that was nice.

10:35 -- Odds Charlie gives Aaron the ring?

10:36 -- Guess not.

10:41 -- Charlie is good at fending off muggers with a guitar. Wasn't Charlie playing the same song in the same place as he was in Desmond's weird flashback episode from earlier this year? Oh, and by the way, the girl that Charlie saved was Sayid's girlfriend, Nadia. Small world, huh?
Lost
10:42 -- If Charlie is making a list of the five greatest moments in his life, what reason does he have to write one down every 15 minutes?

10:43 -- "Nothing is going to happen to me, Rose." -- Bernard. Uh oh.

10:44
-- "Then I am staying too." -- Rose. Double uh oh. This can't be good.

10:45 -- "I like you better since you got back, Jack." -- Rose. Man, I missed her. She said what we ALL were thinking.

10:46 -- Jack's "Braveheart" speeches were good. But Sayid matched him with the "you're our leader, so act like one" speech.

10:47 -- Charlie's "goodbye" to Hurley was touching. Doesn't change anything between us though, Charlie. Your death is still my Christmas morning. Santa better come down that chimney in the next 13 minutes!

10:50 -- The suspense of the Others' raid is killing me!

10:51 -- Ah ha! I knew Charlie left Aaron that ring. Too easy.

10:52 -- Into the ocean go Charlie and Desmond ...

10:53 -- Charlie's number one memory is meeting Claire -- how sweet. Of course, it's sooooooo sweet that I am now 100% certain he's going to die.
Lost
10:55 -- Desmond is trying to take Charlie's place. Do not take this moment from me. I don't ask for much, brutha! Let the little hobbit die!!!

10:56 -- Desmond, no, please stop. Come on Charlie, be a man!!!!

10:57 -- Yes!!! Charlie, I've never loved you more. But did you really need to hit him in the head with an oar?

10:58 -- Please, I can't take another week of this. Just let him die before this episode ends.

10:59 -- "I'm alive!" -- Charlie. Yeah, I see that.

11:00 -- Hmmm, chicks with guns. Desmond didn't see that coming, did he?

That was like the "Mission: Impossible" version of "Lost." It had the foot to the pedal from the opening scene to the very last moment. I have never been more exhausted watching an hour of television in my life. The anticipation involved with everything that was going on nearly gave me a heart attack. I need a shower and a nap.

This episode was really just a bridge between last week's episode and next week's finale. But what a bridge it was! Jack was back to his old self and Rose and Bernard were just back. That alone is enough to give this episode an A. Except for the fact that ...

... CHARLIE DIDN'T DIE!!! I SAT THROUGH CHARLIE FLASHBACKS FOR NOTHING!!!

So I have to give the episode a B. You can't NOT kill Charlie -- when you set him up to die so perfectly -- and expect to get an A from me. Not happening.

As for Charlie not dying, well, I'll be alright. Don't worry about me. I mean, it's just a TV show ... right?

Final thoughts: We shouldn't be surprised that the Looking Glass wasn't what we thought it would be. Juliet said that all she knew about it was what Henry Gale told her and -- surprise, surprise -- he lied. There is more going on in that station than we realize -- another way off the island, maybe? Or perhaps it is the real way off the island.

Time for this week's question: Why does God hate me? Seriously, WTF?!?! Just kill Charlie already, please! OK, seriously. Here is my real question ... I have asked this one multiple times, but with only one episode left, it's fitting to ask it again. The producers of "Lost" come up to you and say, "We'll solve one mystery for you in the finale, which one do you want?" What do you choose?

As for other "Lost" Diary business, I thought the Q&A went well, and I'll definitely do another one. You can send your questions to questions@thelostdiary.com and the article will appear Monday at Noon ET on www.thelostdiary.com. Now that we've got one under our belts, you can see the kinds of questions I chose, so feel free to have fun with it. (Ed.'s note: Click here for this week's Q&A)

See you next week.

Howard

Guess they just want to torture you by not killing Charlie! :) IMO, I don't think Charlie is going to die.. well, not yet according to next week's preview. So what's in the looking glass? I'm sure they have ways to communicating to the real world there, since they have jamming device. Who are those ladies? How do they survive in there? Another submarine? Maybe diver suit?

Next week sure will be a booming finale!

c

In the previews for next week 's finale Mikayel is in the "Looking Glass" with the women and Charlie. It is kind of ironic given he has only one good eye. Should be good. Bye bye Bernard...and why wasn't Sawyer one of the sharp shooters?

~valerie~

I would love to know what exactly happened when they stopped putting the numbers in the computer...

i cant believe that Charlie did NOT die in this episode..

Whitney

Daniel,
I agree...B for this one. I'm so sorry that Charlie didn't die--but you have to admit, this episode DID give you some hope, right?! However, it looks to me like Desmond is either going to save Charlie or they are both going to be captured and held down in the Looking Glass for awhile. Maybe, if you are lucky, Charlie will be tortured (:

If I could have one mystery solved for next week's finale, it would just be to know that Locke is still alive. With three more years left, I don't think I want to know too much more than that for now.

By the way--did you see how Charlie holds a pen? Totally weird and hobbit -like!
Thanks and see you here next week !

Lyss

Daniel,
If the Lost Easter Egg site is right, Christmas is coming NEXT week.

I never lost faith in Jack , sorry...(I wuv him!) Anyway....I cannot wait for next week. I missed Rose more than I knew!

More cowbell

Daniel, everyone's going to say this, but we were ALL thinking of you last night. Sorry, though, about Charlie. I have to say that I'm sappy and I don't want anyone to die. Not Ben, not Juliet, not Rose and Bernard, and not Charile. I like them all.

I think a few people last week said that they thought Rose and Bernard would come back just to be killed off. Sadly, I think they may be right.

Oh yeah, and what's with white rabbits? Alex, uh, that was GROSS!

So the finale will give us lots more characters for next season, which will be kind of cool. Note those two were both women...are they ALL women down there at the bottom of the ocean?

Hmmm, which question would I want answered...It's hard to say without wanting everything answered and thus ending the show. I guess I'd like to know whose side Juliet is really on. Cuz I'm still not convinced it's the Losties. Or maybe, where the heck are Michael and Walt???

Later, Brutha!

Tracy

Very boring episode I was very dissapointed. I didn't get anything from this episode at all unless I am missing something.

Crys

Don't forget to catch the Lost special tonight after Grey's finale.

As for a mystery I want solved. One of them would be; Answer why Richard hasn't aged.

robin

Just a thought.... are the chicks in the station others that either ran away so they would not get preggers and die, or is Ben hiding the women he claimed "died in childbirth" at the station to maintain control of everyone else.

gbop

Oh Daniel, my husband & talk as much about how you're going to react to an episode as the episode itself. Sorry Brutha, wasn't your week, though I had high hopes it would be...

TheMediaConnedUs

Okay Daniel, that's it, I'm officially addicted to your recap! You had me LMFAO while I was reading this. And I agree with poster #1, I was starting to feel sorry for Charlie as well, sorry Daniel. As far as getting a question answered, I would really like to... oh geez, it's been so long and there are so many I can't even choose. Thanks for the giggles Daniel and crew!

Kim

I want to say I really love your blog; it's the highlight of my mornings on Thursdays, and I look forward to it from the minute "Lost" ends Wednesday nights. I think you're funny and I like that, rather than trying to dissect everything that happens (which I think is really cool and fun, but there's a lot of it that goes on on other sites), you're just a fan like the rest of us, freaking out when something awesome or unbelievable happens, and getting just as excited.

That said, this episode was an A. I don't like Henry Gale (who, you're right, will ALWAYS be Henry Gale), but I thought his episode was awesome. I HATE Juliet, but even the flashbacks involving her were really good. No, Charlie didn't die, although we have a few deaths to go, so I wouldn't say he's quite off the hook yet, but this was a really great episode, not just in terms of Charlie himself, but also in terms of the series. Jack's speech was amazing, and I got chills watching him, I loved the moment between Alex and Karl, I don't know that I've ever seen Henry Gale look angrier than when he shoved Alex's gun towards her, it was the return of Rose and Bernard, my two favorite minor characters, that kiss between Charlie and Claire was too sweet, and Hurley and Charlie hugging was awesome. Not to mention the fact that the 815ers are united once more and gearing up to fight the Others. This was an awesome episode, and it really did deserve an A from you, despite Charlie not dying. I don't think one character not dying is a good reason for this episode not to get an A.

As for mysteries...who is Jacob, and why did he ask Locke to help him? Also, how come we haven't seen the DeGroots? We got a whole Dharma flashback, where were they?

Madam Mimm

Daniel, I felt for you when Charlie didn't die- although I must admit that this episode redeemed him in my eyes and I am not so ready for him to kick the bucket now. Anyone who walks willingly to the slaughter to save their family (and Claire and Aaron are his family in all the ways that count) gets an automatic pass from me.
As for the question I most want answered- it' would have to be Jacob- who/what is he? how did he get there? what can he do? what are his "powers"? Up until last week I would have most wanted to know about the Smoke Monster- what the hell is that thing if it's not nanobots? But the invisible man who hates flashlights and loves paintings of dogs is too intriguing to pass up.
Thanks for the Lost Diary-- first thing on Thursday I make a cup o' joe and pull up tmz to see of the new edition has posted-- it makes my mornings much improved.

Leah B

Is it possible that Desmond's flashbacks are not all completely accurate? For one, I think that the scene where Charlie was singing was the exact scene from Desmond's flashback episode, except it ended differently, which could show that it didn't really happen the way Desmond remembered it, or saw it. Or I'm totally off. My point is, if Desmond is seeing Charlie die, he may not really die, the scene just ends differently.

I loved last night. I stood up and cheered too when Jack said they'd blow them all to hell. I missed him! And that speech made him hotter!

Good blog! Sorry it didn't work out for you with Charlie's death!

jenirow

Does anyone else hope Locke may not be dead? And doesn't it seem like the homeboys are turning against our creepy weasel friend Henry? And didn't anyone think to try and cut the cable from the beach and see if that disabled the jamming transmission? By the way I still think Jack is a small cat and Juliet owns him...