"Lost" Diary -- Greatest Hits

5/17/2007 11:53 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hey, it's Daniel from TMZ here, back with another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

Tonight's episode is a Charlie flashback one, so obviously I am anticipating his (hopefully painful) demise. If you haven't been with me since the beginning, I hate Charlie. I think his character is useless on the show and it doesn't help things that the actor who plays him is dating Evangeline Lilly, who plays Kate. You can't be the worst character on one of my favorite shows AND date someone that hot. Just ain't right. So I apologize in advance if I spend half this episode begging for Charlie to die.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes. I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. This week the crew is Ari, Lauren, Marisa, April and Matt. April made cupcakes tonight and Charlie might die -- what more could I want? Let's roll:
Lost
10:00 -- "No matter what I do, you're gonna die, Charlie." -- Desmond, from a few weeks back. Please don't be a liar, Desmond. Please, please, please.

10:01 -- Someone goes running through the beach, grabs a boat, and makes off with it into the ocean. Couldn't really see who it was, but it looked like Karl, Alex's boyfriend.

10:02 -- "I don't know, stuff? Probably secret stuff." -- Hurley. Sawyer's attempts at humor have worn thin on me, but Hurley's have not.

10:03 -- When was the last time we saw so many characters together? Feels like the old band is back together.

10:04 -- Jack's speech was awesome. Seriously, I am ready to go and fight the Others right now (except for Henry Gale, of course). It was like he channeled his inner "Braveheart." The entire room just broke out in applause. Anyone who complained that Jack has turned into a (female cat) can rest rest easy now. Just one question: Why exactly did he blow up the tree?

10:07 -- Before this flashback starts, I am making a pledge: I will only say nice things about Charlie until he dies. This pledge only lasts for this episode. What are the odds I can keep it?

10:08 -- As soon as Lauren realized it was a Charlie flashback episode, she yelled out, "It's your night, Dan!" Don't jinx it Lauren.

10:09 -- Um, Charlie has nice handwriting.

10:10 -- "Look on the bright side: you're not really dead, right?" -- Naomi. Right?

10:11 -- The Others have a station, the Looking Glass, that jams all signals off the island, including Danielle's distress signal that has been playing for 16 years. Maybe if she explored the island a bit, she could have learned some of this stuff sooner.

10:12 -- Let's see ... um, Charlie is ... nice to Aaron ... when he isn't kidnapping him and dragging him into the ocean. Wait, does that count?

10:13 -- So, apparently, Charlie has to die for there to be a rescue. Seems like a fair trade to me, right? But wait ... they aren't getting rescued in the next two episodes (Hello? Three more seasons!) so there is no way the helicopter comes and Charlie can't die (at least not like that). Oh man, I am getting a bad feeling.

10:17 -- Um, Charlie was a cute kid.

10:18 -- So let's review now: the episode is called "Greatest Hits" and it's starting to feel like Charlie's flashback scenes are the most memorable moments of his life -- one might call them the greatest hits. Is this an homage to Charlie? A swan song? I am starting to get excited again.

10:19 -- It seems Charlie drowns to death. Slow and painful, I like that.

10:20 -- Charlie volunteers to swim to the hatch and flip the switch. He's admirable, I'll give him that.

10:21 -- Oh dear lord, I have never been so happy to see a middle-aged interracial couple in my whole life. I speak for every single "Lost" fan when I say this: We missed you, Rose and Bernard.
Lost
10:22 -- I am usually turned off to "Lost's" sappier moments, except when Sun and Jin are involved.

10:23 -- The boat from the beginning of the episode swims ashore, and lo and behold, it's Karl, who happens to take a nasty open-sand tackle from Sayid.

10:24 -- "No, they're coming tonight ... They're coming right now!" -- Karl. Uh oh.

10:27 -- "Here's your gun back." Henry Gale to Alex. How much do I love this man?

10:28 -- Whoa, so Henry Gale is planning on taking any women they can find and killing any men who get in their way. You're making it hard for me to love you, Henry.

10:29 -- Alex is the one who warned Karl to warn the Losties. Why exactly do the Others let her hang around when they make plans?

10:30 -- "Is he my father?" -- Alex. Wow, this is like that scene in "Empire Strikes Back" when Luke finds out Darth Vader is really his dad -- only the exact opposite.

10:31 -- "They know, Karl. But thanks." -- Juliet.

10:32 -- Two things about Jack's second "Braveheart" speech of the night. First of all, I'll say it again: welcome back, Jack. Glad you go your cajones back from Juliet's purse. Second, if Desmond is going to try and do something to help save Charlie, I will black out with rage. Just saying.

10:33 -- Another Charlie greatest hit and I can see why. Oh, it's because of his brother and the ring. Eh, I guess that was nice.

10:35 -- Odds Charlie gives Aaron the ring?

10:36 -- Guess not.

10:41 -- Charlie is good at fending off muggers with a guitar. Wasn't Charlie playing the same song in the same place as he was in Desmond's weird flashback episode from earlier this year? Oh, and by the way, the girl that Charlie saved was Sayid's girlfriend, Nadia. Small world, huh?
Lost
10:42 -- If Charlie is making a list of the five greatest moments in his life, what reason does he have to write one down every 15 minutes?

10:43 -- "Nothing is going to happen to me, Rose." -- Bernard. Uh oh.

10:44
-- "Then I am staying too." -- Rose. Double uh oh. This can't be good.

10:45 -- "I like you better since you got back, Jack." -- Rose. Man, I missed her. She said what we ALL were thinking.

10:46 -- Jack's "Braveheart" speeches were good. But Sayid matched him with the "you're our leader, so act like one" speech.

10:47 -- Charlie's "goodbye" to Hurley was touching. Doesn't change anything between us though, Charlie. Your death is still my Christmas morning. Santa better come down that chimney in the next 13 minutes!

10:50 -- The suspense of the Others' raid is killing me!

10:51 -- Ah ha! I knew Charlie left Aaron that ring. Too easy.

10:52 -- Into the ocean go Charlie and Desmond ...

10:53 -- Charlie's number one memory is meeting Claire -- how sweet. Of course, it's sooooooo sweet that I am now 100% certain he's going to die.
Lost
10:55 -- Desmond is trying to take Charlie's place. Do not take this moment from me. I don't ask for much, brutha! Let the little hobbit die!!!

10:56 -- Desmond, no, please stop. Come on Charlie, be a man!!!!

10:57 -- Yes!!! Charlie, I've never loved you more. But did you really need to hit him in the head with an oar?

10:58 -- Please, I can't take another week of this. Just let him die before this episode ends.

10:59 -- "I'm alive!" -- Charlie. Yeah, I see that.

11:00 -- Hmmm, chicks with guns. Desmond didn't see that coming, did he?

That was like the "Mission: Impossible" version of "Lost." It had the foot to the pedal from the opening scene to the very last moment. I have never been more exhausted watching an hour of television in my life. The anticipation involved with everything that was going on nearly gave me a heart attack. I need a shower and a nap.

This episode was really just a bridge between last week's episode and next week's finale. But what a bridge it was! Jack was back to his old self and Rose and Bernard were just back. That alone is enough to give this episode an A. Except for the fact that ...

... CHARLIE DIDN'T DIE!!! I SAT THROUGH CHARLIE FLASHBACKS FOR NOTHING!!!

So I have to give the episode a B. You can't NOT kill Charlie -- when you set him up to die so perfectly -- and expect to get an A from me. Not happening.

As for Charlie not dying, well, I'll be alright. Don't worry about me. I mean, it's just a TV show ... right?

Final thoughts: We shouldn't be surprised that the Looking Glass wasn't what we thought it would be. Juliet said that all she knew about it was what Henry Gale told her and -- surprise, surprise -- he lied. There is more going on in that station than we realize -- another way off the island, maybe? Or perhaps it is the real way off the island.

Time for this week's question: Why does God hate me? Seriously, WTF?!?! Just kill Charlie already, please! OK, seriously. Here is my real question ... I have asked this one multiple times, but with only one episode left, it's fitting to ask it again. The producers of "Lost" come up to you and say, "We'll solve one mystery for you in the finale, which one do you want?" What do you choose?

As for other "Lost" Diary business, I thought the Q&A went well, and I'll definitely do another one. You can send your questions to questions@thelostdiary.com and the article will appear Monday at Noon ET on www.thelostdiary.com. Now that we've got one under our belts, you can see the kinds of questions I chose, so feel free to have fun with it. (Ed.'s note: Click here for this week's Q&A)

See you next week.

c

didn't walt have special powers? did he see the future or cause things to happen?

Alyssa

I want to know the following....
1.) What the hell happened to Walt & his father?
2.) Does this mysterious Jacob help save Locke?
3.) What does this looking glass thing actually do and who are those women?
4.) Who dies in the season finale?
5.) Will Ben capture more people and if so, where will he take them now?

Ana

This episode was like when you go warm-up your car on a cold day: your not going anywhere but your gearing up for when you do. Next week is gonna be GOOD.

DANIEL:
I know I had to confess to you about my "break down" the other day (I read the synopsis of what was going in last nights episode AND the season finale! *gasp* on a spoiler site) and you asked me if it would ruin it for me.....well there was really nothing to ruin, it was slow episode for me.
PS. Everything came true, so I gues the spoiler was real.....I was hoping it wasn't :(

GOOD MOMENTS
---When Jack is talking about how Danielle has been helping bring dynamite, and the cameral shows Sayid's face....He looked soo turned on by Danielle’s apparent Rambo tendencies!!! It was funny.

---Seriously, what was Alex doing to the bunny?

---"These are my greatest hits..." --Charlie. I gotta admit that left me a lil' faclempt....

c

the whole kate/jack/sawyer/juliet thing is supposed to come to a head in the finale. supposedly there are surprises in store. thank goodness he is not into claire! we don't need to go there.

Michael Hess

I loved last night's episode and I think that Desmond's vision could still come true, it might even be the final seconds of the finale next week.

The mystery I would want solved is why does the island "heal" some people like Locke and Rose, but not other people like Boone and Shannon?

Or what is the smoke monster?

Or why is Jacob asking for Locke's help? And is Jacob Wild Bill Hickock from Deadwood? I mean they have had enough of the other actors from Deadwood on Lost, and Jacob's voice sounded exactly like Wild Bill's.

DKDTE

OK. I agree. I give it a B. I LOVED your 10:21 comment about Rose and Bernard. I laughed out loud at my desk.

Here's my main thought...Do you think Juliette KNEW that there would be people down there (Looking Glass) waiting for Charlie and she lied about only knowing what Ben tells her? I think there is still a good possibility that she is evil incarnate.

As for which mystery I would like solved...I think the whole Jacob thing. Why is he invisible? Who is he? Why does he need help?

See ya Monday. Have a great weekend!

gail

Ok...Looking Glass, White Rabbits, where is Alice? I have been racking my brain to remember all the little details in "Alice in the Looking Glass" to try and tie some of the island mysteries together. Unfortunately it has been a very long time since I read the book! Anyone else have any theories on this?
There are so many questions I would like answered that I can't just pick one. I just hope that when the series ends they do tie up all the loose ends, like the sequence of numbers, what happened when they quit entering them in the computer, the polar bear, why Hurley doesn't lose weight (!) and many more!

Maura

Kate's gonna die...thats why Jack says I love you
Jack is going to kill Juliet
Mike and Walt are definitely gonna make an appearance in the finale....

thoughts

SarahZ

CHARLIE CAN NOT DIE! Im sorry Daniel and all other Charlie haters out there but after last nights episode I just simply can not allow it! The writers really were able to draw you into his charachter. The entire episode I kept thinking of how happy Daniel would be and hoping he would get his wish.
But by 9:58pm I was Screaming at my TV and balling my eyes out anticipating Charlies time was up. I agree with a previuos poster that Charlie really has come a long way. Gave up heroin, helping to raise Aaron, confessed to Sun, cares a great deal about Claire. And he does provide a friendship with Hugo that I think would be very hard to replace. I dunno but last nights episode really make me ....well love the guy! He seems like a good man now.

Oh and it was nice to finally see a happy father moment when his Dad caught him in the pool.

Freckles(Kelly)

Mornin' all my fellow Losties!! Daniel, great post. I thought about you all night throughout the episode, and had the image of you and your buds dancing around the room singing "Ding Dong Charlies dead, drown to death like Desmond said, Ding DOng Charlie is Deaaadd" (to the tune of Ding Dong the Witch is dead from the Wizard of Oz) I was even prepared to make the Charlie is dead drink of the evening!
I thought it was an OK episode, not chocked full of info like the last few. Guess they're just setting us up for next week. DON"T FORGET ABOUT TONIGHTS RECAP SHOW!!!
As for your question, I don't think I could choose just one, so here are my top picks:
I would like to know where Walt and Michael are.
Is Locke really dead?
Who REALLY is incharge? Jacob, Henry Gale, or age-defying-eyeliner-hottie Richard?
Who or what is smokie?
How were the plane passengers picked? They seemed to all have some connection, yet Henry seemed suprised when the plane came down.
I can't go on, there are entirely to many to ask.....I'll keep up and post others that I think of. I'm supposed to be finishing reapholstering another set of chairs right now. I'm not having any Desmond visions, that they're actually going to be finished today!!

A

ana:
what's up girlfriend? I was totally having mixed feeling for Charlie last night. what's up with that? But believe me I would in no way have sacrificed Des for him. They did this to me with Ana Lucia too (made me start to care about someone I'd hated up to that point right before they kill them off) but I didn't know she was going to die ahead of time.

Daniel: I don't know what to put as the mystery I most want solved, I have to think about it.

DId you see that the ex No Longer a Lost Fan is now a fan again. How can you resist this show???

RENEE

Curious as to why they kept us in the dark with Desmonds "flash" of Charlies sacrifical death? Does he really see Charlie die? Or did this same course of events pan out this way without Charlies death, but having him do something heroic to salvage his otherwise less than magnificent life?

The big question???? Why these people, what is the common thread that links them all together??? Was the crash fate or chance???

A

hey SarahZ, I just answered you over at the Lost Diary site. I didn't know you were a fan of Charlie! OH NO! LOL

jack and kate

am i the only person who isnt charmed by rose and barnard.. i dont like

LaFemmeNikita

Question I want answered ... Which side is Juliet on?