McConaughey: Method Actor?

5/22/2007 1:28 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Matthew McConaughey was performing some kind of island ritual while shooting his upcoming movie, "Surfer Dude." Or was he?

McConaughey was spotted at Malibu beach yesterday ... covered in mud, prancing around while carrying a couple of giant palm leaves and strutting like a chicken.

Or as Matt likes to call it "Monday morning."

liz

DRUGS. Lots of them. People do stuff like that on DRUGS. // It's apparent, too. I mean, the sloooooow draw he has when he talks..he's fried his damn brain.

DEBRA

lol looks like an island chant of some kind...um yes im sure he owns a shirt.but for now it's called going on the beach...

hoho

i think it's called the 'thank-you-for-letting-me-make-millions-being-a-goofwad' dance......

Queen of Whatever

probably smoking pot again? what happened to his bongos?

david

so...why isn't he naked?

kim

that is so funny
first of all i think it has something to do with the movie he is making
second of all if it doesn't it does not mean he is disturbed it shows someone joking around and do you honestly think he isn't aware he is being watched and filmed ?
please he is probably doing it just to see what all the stalkers that follow him around are going to write about him the next day so he can sit back and have a good laugh

Bobby Lees the one

He just got some good weed.

Robin

I don't care what he does... as long as he's always shirt-less when he does it!

My baby's perfect!

He and Britney Spears should get together.

Annie

I think I can interpret his mumbling and motions. He's saying "please pay attention to me! please look at me and talk about me on the internet!"

umyeah

um...maybe he's practicing for a movie?

Teddy

If I weren't so dull and borning I'd be doing the same thing.
Richard

Lori67

If he were a Native American and performing a ritual, would we be making fun of him? He is in touch with NATURE and apparently this is something to do with it. Who are we to mock what we don't understand?

Okeedokee

Well, that doesn't like anywhere in Malibu that I know of, and those locals definitely look far south of the 90210. I'll buy into the ritual dance BS, but the faceplant at the end.....that definitely looks substance induced!!!

Linda in CT

Matthew is the most gorgeous fella around today, great actor, great body, great personality AND an individual! And he could care less what anybody thinks. You never hear of him being mean or fresh to fans or anything really bad about him. So he does what he wants and he enjoys life in his own way, so what?
And he has the MOST GORGEOUS SMILE I have ever seen. If his smile does NOT make you weak in the knees, then you must not like MEN!!!!