Police Drummer Calls Sting "Petulant Pansy"

6/1/2007 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The Police are getting savaged for a craptacularly "lame" performance on their comeback tour -- by their own drummer, no less, who's also slamming the band's bassist and lead singer (some guy named Sting) for a flubbed jump.

Stewart Copeland vents -- at length -- on his personal website about the band's Wednesday night gig in Vancouver, just the second on their big comeback tour, when a slew of miscues and musical mishaps result in what Copeland thinks is an "ubeLIEVably [sic] lame" show. Copeland complains that he and the band can't get any synchronicity on their opening number, "Message in a Bottle," and then rolls his eyes at Sting as he can't quite get a dramatic leap timed correctly. "The mighty Sting momentarily looks like a petulant pansy instead of the god of rock."

To be fair, Copeland doesn't spare himself the rod, saying he made "a complete hash" of a time-change in "Walking on the Moon," and in the end, everyone's happy. "We fall into each other's arms laughing hysterically," says Copeland.

anandamide

Go easy on Sting, poor fella has got a lot of issues to deal with:

dude

classic rock lives on Dang don't get so upset, I think the police suck so what! Metal rules! Try listening to The Haunted, It will rip your head off!

rminva

I'll gladly pay to see a "bad" concert by the Police....it would still be way better than the other options out there right now....the sold out tour speaks for itself.

Someone said...it's not 1978 anymore...too bad. As always, pop music sucked, and still does, but at least everything else on "FM" radio was diverse and creative. With a few exceptions, it all sounds the same these days. Very few acts stand the test of time, and like it or not, the Police are one of those acts. I don't think there is anyone on the radio right now that people will be lining up to see in 25 years.

huh?

rminva...excellent post! Just look at the Billboard top ten on any given week. 95% rap and the remainder is American Idol drivel. Radio is a wasteland and unlistenable. Today's acts are here today gone tomorrow. All corporate puppets with no creativity whatsoever. "Dan"...sorry to come down on you so hard before I heard your response. Metal is fine. At least you're not into crap....ummm....i mean rap.

plo

iT'S GOOD TO KNOW WHEN TO GIVE IT UP. IT'S EMBARRASSING IF YOU DON'T.

sk8rgurl

This isn't a shocker...they were great when they started... then their direction turned into something totally opposite... and, truth be told (in my head), the couple of Police shows i went to were never outstanding....but i'm a concert whore with good ears and they didn't cut it...i just basically needed the ticket for my collection.....but you get one chance, if you mess up, i'll give you another chance... if your show still sucks after that, no more money from me....
It must be so awful to be on the road on a tour that's started like crap

Standards are badly needed.

19 evemustlookelikesteve - Newer isn't always better. A few years in the saddle will teach you that. Glad you like the handle I assigned you. It made me laugh to see you resuse it. I may not agree with you, but you have the right to your opinion. Thanks for the opposing view and the laugh.

TraceyC

To each his own...but I'm a fan club member and attended the fan club show and it was awesome!!! Not sure what some people are basing their opinion on, but I think they did a good job of putting their show together. I'm looking forward to seeing them again!!....oh, and they were great back in the 80's too!

Paul

Who needs these retards.

Paul

Cream made them look like retards at their reunion shows.

^v^

Oh who cares? They all are so old that no one cares what they are doing or sound like now.

Granny Pants

Cranky old bitches!

dude

They sucked back then, why should they be any better now?

Brit is a f*ck up

ROCK ON!!

lori

I think he was being kind of funny. I was there Wednesday and I have to say that it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. There were a couple of glitches but ya know what? It was just 3 guys on a stage making excellent music. No lipsynching, no costume changes, no fireworks. Excellent show.
Actually stayed at the same hotel as the band and got to see Sting and Trudie, who were really nice.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments