Kelly Slater Politickin' in the Pipeline

6/28/2007 3:01 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Surfboard art goes political! kelly slater

After losing a heat in the Rip Curl surf contest in Chile, reigning eight-time Foster's ASP World Champion Kelly Slater was photographed rockin' a surfboard with a statement. The board art mockingly puts Abu Ghraib images in the iPod silhouette advertisement style.

Slater is not known for having much to say on anything -- except winning. Guess he does now ... or maybe he just digs the wicked graphics!

Uh?

Umm, I bet he likes the graphics....Can't imagine he is smart enough to have a cerebral opinion about Abu Ghraib...

BOEING 787

I'm sure John Gibson is going to have a field day making a bearly coheasive commentarial rant on Hollywood liberals on FOX news, I'm sure Bill and Hannity will catch the spark.

you are entitled to my opinion

who?

Granny Pants

Torture in the prison not ok huh? I wish they'd thown them out of a burning window of the 105th floor of a high rise building.

kwanda

BoBo - YOU RIGHT ON MAN! and even THAT would have been too good for them!

Ash

He is HOT & talented! I'd love to learn surfing with him any day!

Ash

#6, BOBO Justice...YEAH! Good post, honey :)

Nance

what an IDIOT

matt

From surfline.com what Kelly said about the board art (at bottom).

WTF-Kelly actually has tried very hard to be a positive image on young surfers constantly telling them not to do drugs and to stay in school. And although Kelly's acedemic career was eclipsed by his prosurfing career when he turned 18, he carried an A average through highschool, while balancing his acedemics with his amateur surfing career. I think it paid of for him, he has won 8 world titles, makes plenty of money, dates supermodels and celebrities, and has redefined modern surfing- all while remaining a humble decent person.

What Kelly said about the board art.

"It's my favorite images of the war...no, not really. It's just a poster a friend of mine made to bring some awareness to what's happening in iRaq and a funny play on iPods. Pop culture meets political awareness.
Bruce Gilbert, my traveling partner and one of my best friends, started doing posters with this image on them.

It was originally made with numbers of troops and Iraqis killed to date but it's far outdated and the numbers are way up there now -- around 3500 US troops and between 700,000 and a million Iraqis killed since the beginning of the war!

Why is Paris Hilton going to a halfway house for three weeks bigger news than 500 Iraqis a day being killed in their own country everyday as well as lots of American troops? This is not to mention the injured, which is about ten times higher than the casualties. It's life-changing for so many people. A crime of humanity.

But wait...I'm off track. I just liked the way the colors looked, I guess. Yeah, that's all."

--Kelly

kwanda

oh wow, i wish we all could be as cool as you!!!! and as NOT POLITICAL too

Granny Pants

GO BOBO JUSTICE ! Hey XBox, Quicksilver and Honda, are ya listening?

URLIFEWASOC

all this means is more publicity for him and his sponsors! FREE PUBLICITY IS GOOD PUBLICITY!!!!

Gloria Picchetti

Slater is using his board to talk about surf boarding in the water to have fun instead of waterboarding to create more war instead of peace and understanding.

Granny Pants

Go BoBo. and BITE ME Quicksilver.

ugh!