Mel Gibson: Costa Rica Loco!

7/16/2007 6:29 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Actor/director/hater Mel Gibson, 51, was photographed in a bar in Nicoya, Costa Rica -- looking like he was having a swell time with the local chicas. Salud!

Mel has purchased a multi-million dollar mansion in C.R., and he was welcomed by President Oscar Arias. Mr. Gibson is said to be planning charitable contributions to the natives.

Gibson was arrested last July on suspicion of drunk driving and went on an anti-semitic tirade.

Finally exposed - shes a wierdo

Hey Harvey Levin, maybe you should take a look at the picture before you have your high school dropout "columnist" write such ridiculous & provocative headlines & text. If you check the picture, that's a bottle of water in front of Mel. Also, Cantinas in South America & Costa Rica are also restaurants. So, before you start intimating that Mel's drinking in a bar, you should do your homework. Last thing you want is a lawsuit because of your nasty bitchy columnist...

YAWN

And, of course, if there is a bottle of water in front of him, that means that he has not had a drop or alcohol at all. This is a bar, after all, and I think we should all commend Mel for drinking water in a bar. He has been drinking water because the picture shows a water bottle in front of him and pictures are never never staged and never wrong. He apparently is merely "drunk on life".

cmb21

perhaps Mel needs an ankle monitor? Tracey Morgan told me this weekend that he feels, "inspired in my sobriety." Could the same be a possibility for Mel? Let's get him one of those inspiring accesories and find out.

KRISTI THE LAWYER

THAT PICTURE LOOK SO FAKE

just me

I guess the chaos Gibson's neighbor brought upon his once peaceful Malibu neighborhood became too much to tolerate, so bad it might be enough to turn a Catholic family man into a jumble of frazzled nerves and send him on a drunk driving rampage. Hope he found the peace and quiet he wants for his family in his new Costa Rica neighborhood.

noitall

***** HEY, MELLY BOY..... Lookin' stoned and right at home !!!

char

FAKE PHOTO!

Ginger

The picture actually reeks of body odor!

Stacy

Hey Mel....I,m a single mom that lost her job, health, and now it looks like my house. If I get a tan, will I qualify for a charitable contribution?

PUH-LEASE!!!

Nice water bottle plant, duh.

you are f*ing stalkers

That part of CR is full of old gringos who buy up the property (pricing out the locals), don't bother to learn Spanish, and become raging alcoholics. It's because prostitution is legal, which i agree with, but it attracts an unsavory bunch.

chillout music girl

I am sure all the costa rican hookers were circling him like a shark.
They usually have to attack the normal tourist, but a hollywood star wow!!!
Hooker heaven indeed...

Hmmmm...

Guy sure looks fried to me. Notice how everybody else's eyes are looking directly at the camera and he seems to be blearily focusing off into the distance? And do you know how many celebs now hide Vodka in water bottles? Lindsey taught him well.

George Bush Hates Freedom

You know what, I usually really dislike racists and hypocrites, but Mel seems like he's probably relatively down-to -earth in icomparison to other mega-stars. He's still a schmuck though. And yeah, that's Capote in the background.

Standards are badly needed.

Mel, seven hotties, and an onlooker guy who WISHES he were Mel. Yup. That's life...