Michael Vick

Busted for Illegal Dogfighting

7/17/2007 7:57 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0717_michael_vick_bn_getty-1It's dog days for Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and others, after being indicted today on federal charges related to illegal dogfighting.

Vick was charged with illegal competitive dogfighting, which involves training pit bulls to fight against other dogs. When authorities searched Vick's property this month, they found 54 pit bulls and a host of brutal items including a "rape stand," used to hold dogs in place for mating; an electric treadmill modified for dogs and a bloodied piece of carpeting.

Graves of seven pit bulls were found inside "Bad Newz Kennels," a Virginia property owned by Vick. The dogs were allegedly killed after testing whether they would be good fighters. According to documents, dogfights would end when one dog died or backed down, and dogs were sometimes put to death by drowning, strangulation, hanging, gunshot, electrocution or some other method.

The indictment alleges that Vick and his co-defendants began sponsoring dogfights in early 2001, the former Virginia Tech star's rookie year with the Falcons.

Hal

Vick - you are a real f*** up - go ahead, mess your entire life up -- your choice.

anon

I can't believe that in this day and age people don't understand what animal cruelty is. Don't they understand that pets know when they are being hurt and abused??? They need love and care just like people do. I am so disappointed in this man. He should be ashamed.

lucky

Leroy get off the race card no one buys it anymore.

Hal

#2 jj - oh pleezzeee - get offa that racial crap -- stop feeling sorry for law breakers -- Vick makes his own choices -- now the consequences of those choices. Everyone has the right to make good choices - all ethnic groups. He did this to himself by his choice!

Hal

185 lose the key -- good message!

Run Jon run!

That is sick, all the money that guy has and he chooses to abuse those animals...I hope he rots in jail. Better yet I hope he gets raped like a little bitch in prison.

mona

why why does it always have to be an issue with the black and white thing? hmm when does this old saying end huh!!! Its not about color it is about dogs being mulled on by other viciouse dogs don't ya think that the animals don't hurt when they are being practically killed when dogs have been trained to do kill ?? Hmm lets see lets have someone mull on the person who made the comment of black/ white lets see if the their tune changes then its cruel with the dog fighting issue !!!!!!

Ellis

I'd pay to put a clip into this animals head

Leroy

185. Leroy get off the race card no one buys it anymore.
Posted at 9:26PM on Jul 17th 2007 by lose the key

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying the ALLEGATIONS are related to race at all. I was saying some of the comments here in reaction to the allegations seem to be racist. So if you don't buy it, help me understand how they're not. Why does this news about Vick stir up such a violent reaction when other stories/instances about animal cruelty don't? I'm not trying to be a wiseguy here, I'm asking honestly.

anna

I'm the owner of the most loving, gentle dog ever, and she's a pitbull.....People like this are what gives them a bad name. In my humble opinion, he should be put through the same treatment that he put these amazing, sweet dogs through....

tmazgal

I've already sent a note of to the Atlanta Falcons begging them to no longer play this fellow.
Honestly, when I heard the news about this I had no idea if he was black or white, it didn't even occur to me.
The news just made me feel like crying.

biscuit

You people are weird. Of course he should go to jail for a couple of years. Yeah...its wrong to torture animals but all this talk about him needing to be hanged or burned or eletrocuted is just as sick. Most of the people making the comments seem sicker than him. He killed a dog...you folks are talking about killing a person. God...get a grip...or at least some perspective. There's much sadder stuff in the world and I bet you're not ranting and raving about that. Weird people.

Gia

From foxnews:

If convicted, Vick and the others — Purnell A. Peace, Quanis L. Phillips and Tony Taylor — could face up to six years in prison, $350,000 in fines and restitution.

Let's hope he gets the maximum.

lucky

Leroy... Are you kidding me? are you telling me that after reading what this pig did doesnt upset you? Are you kidding me? Read the article again and then maybe you ca see why everyone is so upset... Get a Fricken clue

Gia

I agree Toni. I'm outraged at the crime, not the color of Vick's skin.