The Late Late Tom Snyder

7/30/2007 10:27 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tom SnyderTom Snyder, the stentorian voice and never-overly-serious face behind "The Tomorrow Show" and "The Late Late Show," died yesterday after a battle with leukemia. He was 71.

Snyder did famous sit-downs on the late-night "Tomorrow," which followed Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show," with such figures as John Lennon, Charles Manson, and Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols. The always verbally dexterous Snyder used the same catchphrase to begin "Tomorrow" every night: "Fire up a colortini, sit back, relax and watch the pictures, now, as they fly through the air."

He came back to late-night TV to host "The Late Late Show with Tom Snyder" on CBS, following David Letterman's show until 1998, when Craig Kilborn took over.

denbob

Hey- what is a colortini by the way? I cannot figure out his catch phrase or why it was catchy.

joe ponda

Loved watching Tom through his program years and then listening to him on the radio,,,Always..Always loved to hear him tell of the visits with or to "Mama Snyder"..She must have been a hoot!.....What a class act...sorry to hear of his passing...RIP

me

So sorry

anon

This is such sad news. Another classy guy from a classier time-gone. They just don't make them like that any more.

kadengirl

I loved his show and his character. He added to my life. Thank you and G-d rest your soul.

Lenn K.

A very intelligent man with alot of class. Was always second fiddle to Johnny Carson who was great!!

Jemima Puddleduck

What a shame. I always loved him and his show. Rest in peace, Tom.

zekedog

Snyder was always entertaining -- and memorably mimicked by Dan Ackroyd. He was the first guy to put rockers like Patti Smith and Johnny Rotten on US network TV and actually talk to them.

sylvie

His wit, intelligence and elegance will be missed. Television could use more people of his calibre. He was truly unique and thoroughly enjoyable to watch and listen to with that wonderful voice he had and that twinkle in his eye. Tom was equally comfortable with politicians, comedians, anyone he spoke with on air. It's unfortunate he was on so late in the evening that not everyone was able to him. I'm sure his friends and family are suffering a great loss today and I'm sure they will have some amazing memories to help them through their grief. He was loved and respected by many.

scott

You will be missed, Tom. Enjoy a drink with the Big Guy! ....

Curtis Morton

He was my favorite host of a late nite tv show . I missed him when he when off the air .
God Bless Him , Curtis

Runaways Fan

I started watching him in the 90's and loved him. He was great! I'm sad he's gone.

BufSolja

Tom Snyder had a wonderful voice. I remember when he anchored KNBC's news in Los Angeles. He always looked liked he really enjoyed what he was doing and never took himself too seriously. He also was a great interviewer. The TV screen isn't as bright with his passing.

cari

Hey TMZ, not the most sensitive/respectful title for a post about such a wonderful human being. Thanks for your tribute nonetheless. Mr. Snyder was a class act!

kim suck

lets have a pity party--one two three ahhhhhhhh!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments