Rev. Al Went Straight for Godfather of Soul

8/17/2007 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ever wonder where Reverend Al Sharpton got that silvery sleek, decidedly un-nappy coiffure? The good Rev. tells TMZ that it was an edict from none other than music legend James Brown, and that he's keeping the coiffure to honor the late Godfather of Soul's memory.

According to a source close to Sharpton, a couple decades ago, the Godfather of Soul asked Sharpton to "straighten your hair like mine so when people see you they think you're my son." Papa's giving you a brand-new 'do!

Thus, when rapper David Banner called him a "permed-out pimp" in a recent tirade, it struck a particularly sore chord with Rev. Al, who was so close to Brown that he stood by James' coffin throughout his public visitation at the Apollo Theater last December.

What's more, don't look for the Rev. to give up the look anytime soon. In fact, he says he'll never give it up. "That's my bond with James Brown," he tells us.

sandnsea

This has been public knowledge for years. You didn't break this story, unless you consider it journalism to repeat what lots of others have already said. Oh wait, you DO consider that journalism. Suckers.

Lein

TMZ - you are not allowing posts on this site...interesting.

Dwight

Did They ever bury James Brown???? They had him on ice for weeks.

Lein

One more try...

Mox - creditability is not a word. Get a new dicshunaree. Is that okay with you TMZ?

mangey

Sharpton is a joke. He ain't a Reverend and he's nothing but a cheap ass extortionist.

Ozepy

I LOVE REV. AL'S 'DO...BACK IN THE DAY IT WAS CALLED "FRIED, DYED & LAID TO THE SIDE" !!

v

This guy is an opportunistic schlep...what is his profession?

ringo

its a tupee

Joe Tyler

Hey Webster----My Webster's Collegiate Dictionary has the word creditability in it. Look under Creditable. You are welcome for the help!!!!!!!!!!!

Hal

Black folks - Al Sharpton is not your friend! Open your eyes and see that he is filthy rich all from using you. God help you all.

Lein

diddy puck: The word Mr. Moxley is looking for is credibility.
Main Entry: cred·i·bil·i·ty
Pronunciation: "kre-d&-'bi-l&-tE
Function: noun
1 : the quality or power of inspiring belief
2 : capacity for belief

Usage: Al ain't got no credibility no how.

Don't make me come down there and teach you!

susan

I'm sorry, do people actualy believe that this man is a man of God, a true believer. ???? He is nothing more than a commercial, glitrz, fun loving idiot who uses the bible as his own personal pocket book to being Mr Big Man on the Block - I would sooner believe the words from a junkie whore than what comes out of his mouth. So, do I care what he saysa, and what he does - ummm nope, not really, fakes have a way of being spotted very quickly and easily.

name

ug

MrsC

Can anyone tell me who Al Sharpton works for? Exactly who signs his paycheck?? Does he make big bucks??

Meme

Who cares how this maroon wears his hair? Doesn't change his so-called image. Between this "weird" Al, (NO offence to Weird Al Y) , Jesse (I am the baby daddy) Jackson, and oh the other moron - forgot his name right now Im so disgusted but I'm sure you know who, the black race has been on a downward spiral for years and continues to go down every time one of those three troublemakers opens their mouthes. Rev. Martin Luther King jr. is probably spinning in his grave at the damage those 3 yahoos have done to our race.(and I refuse to call those others Rev. - they are a joke) Yeah, his hair REALLY matters while he's among the idiots who killed a beautiful dream. RIP MLK and I apologize for the losers who killed your dream of peace and harmony among all men AND for this guy's hair. Tribute to James Brown..yeah okay.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments