Rev. Al Went Straight for Godfather of Soul

8/17/2007 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ever wonder where Reverend Al Sharpton got that silvery sleek, decidedly un-nappy coiffure? The good Rev. tells TMZ that it was an edict from none other than music legend James Brown, and that he's keeping the coiffure to honor the late Godfather of Soul's memory.

According to a source close to Sharpton, a couple decades ago, the Godfather of Soul asked Sharpton to "straighten your hair like mine so when people see you they think you're my son." Papa's giving you a brand-new 'do!

Thus, when rapper David Banner called him a "permed-out pimp" in a recent tirade, it struck a particularly sore chord with Rev. Al, who was so close to Brown that he stood by James' coffin throughout his public visitation at the Apollo Theater last December.

What's more, don't look for the Rev. to give up the look anytime soon. In fact, he says he'll never give it up. "That's my bond with James Brown," he tells us.

Joe Tyler

Hey Web---

You said the word was not in the "dicshunaree." I just stated it was. You did not say the first time it was not used correctly. Let me know if I can be of more help!!!!

SUPER-ficial

#32 - well perhaps you should relocate . . that way, you wouldn't have to be around racists or "n" word

TOMMY TWO TONE

He is a prejudce person against white people YET he will come up against anyperson that doesnt believe what he does----I CANT STAND HIS RACIST ASS>.......

Amanda

Al Sharpton told Anna Deveare Smith (during an interview for her "Fires in the Mirror" project) that the reason he wore his hair that way was because of James Brown. He called it "Me and James' thing." She performed her project (and retold the story) in 1993. Over 14 years ago.

dont lose sleep

why does anyone give this racist idiot, the time of day ? go figure !

Lein

diddy p - After having attempted 4 posts, which were shot down by TMZ, that is the one that finally got through. Apparently, I used a word they did not like. All the other posts were phrased differently. I'm sure Al the blackmailer has a lot of creditability (noun).

No help needed, really.

mari

This guys has been severely beaten by an unusually merciless ugly stick

Rev. Al Sharpton

I have Al Sharpton on my deadpool list. Help me out Al and drop down to room temperature, I got money on this thing.

InMyHumbleOpinion

I must have been asleep every other time that Sharpton's hairstyle was explained. Now I understand why he keeps it. But I still despise him...and his hairdo.

P.S. Love a good grammar fight. Keep it up, folks! (proofreading now...)

yeoq.com

wow tmz could be a lil politacally incorrect sometimes "unnappy" j/k non wrong with a lil contreversy that won't hurt nobody. what is he beefing with david banner for. we all love david banner more.

Loser O'Quinn

Just curious why TMZ would waste good news space on this idiot.... It grosses me out just to see this incredibly ugly man.... YUCK!

B-BUDDY

HEY AL WERE IS JAMES BROWNS COFFIN? ARE YOU AND MICHAEL STILL KEEPING HIM ON ICE,
IF YOU AND MICHAEL JACKSON ARE DOING THAT, IT IS A SICK THING TO DO, I KNOW M J GOT THE ELEPHANT MANS BODY,, THIS IS SICK,,,

Amazing

One minute my post is up the next minute it's gone. There was nothing crude, rude or insulting about what I said about Sharpton's hair. In fact, my post was on the light-weight side. TMZ is getting so politically correct that you feel like some big censor is hanging over you.

Go with the Flow!

Don Imus and Al Sharpton are both ugly freaks. Don Imus is goldie and Al Sharpton is
locks, together they are OLDIE MOLDY GOLDY LOCKS.

bill

Even though this story has been told a million times, I lied and said it was "never told", because an Al Sharpton story is always good to get my bigoted fan base going. Go forth, my racists!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments