Mel B's Man -- Scarier Than She Thinks?

8/21/2007 7:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Melanie "Scary Spice" Brown is proclaiming to the hills -- and Hello! magazine -- that her new hubby, Stephen Belafonte, isn't an "aggressive, violent, woman batterer" and that "papers" don't directly implicate Belafonte. But TMZ has obtained court documents that suggest otherwise.
Melanie Brown
According to the court docket from L.A. Superior Court from 2003, Belafonte was charged with -- and then pleaded no contest to -- "violnce [sic] used against spouse" as well as vandalism. The record shows that he originally pleaded not guilty, but then withdrew that plea to avoid jail time. The rest of the docket lays out a string of missed court appearances, arrest warrants -- and Belafonte's attendance in domestic violence counseling.

Still, Mel B's clearly giving Belafonte a free pass. "For him to seen as a wife beater," she tells Hello!, "is devastating for me because he's not -- he never has been." On the other hand, Eddie Murphy's baby mama seems to know that her new guy isn't exactly a paragon of virtue: "He hasn't been the best of people. I know everything that he's done. He went through group therapy and counseling, but he's fully aware of what he's done."

Stephen's ex Nicole Contreras apparently agrees as well. She issued the following statement this afternoon to TMZ: "Stephen Belafonte and I had a long relationship that ended mutually. Despite reports, there was never any physical violence involved in the relationship. We share a beautiful three year old daughter together and
are amicable."

huh

When will you bitches learn to shut your mouth and taste my pain!!

Desiree

Who cares, these two deserve each other, they are both low-life grifters. Melanie had a baby just to suck money out of Eddie Murphy (who deserves to be used like this, he is trash anyway) and the real innocent victim in this sordid garbage heap is Melanie's baby, and will probably be raised to be a low-life grifter just like her mother - that's how it works. Give it up Spice Girls, your big Skank Girl Reunion is already a dud. Besides, no one bothered with Skank Posh's trashy reality show, really think a reunion of old no-talent skanks is going to do any better?

weneedtostop.com

They are married now...so, so far no reports of abuse.

anonoymous

I read he's rumored to still be sleeping with his ex?! Now with her going on tour he would be entitled to those millions too which would funnel to the ex and his other kid. Sounds like a pay day for the ex too so why wouldn't she say he's respectable even ... if he didn't pay child support as you showed in your site last week? Prenups mean not entitled to money before their marriage but after?
Why would you get involved with someone with that kind of past so quickly and bring then around your children if you claim to be a good mother? When you have children they come FIRST before your love life. Who in their right mind would want someone around their children with past like that? Or at least date and get to know the real person instead of a rush marriage.
Who knows, maybe the honeymoons over and she's really "scared" spice into doing what he wants?

davis

sassy

I DONT CARE ABOUT HER! SHE THROWS HER BABY TO THE CAMERAS BECAUSE EDDIE MURPHY IS THE DAD! SHES RUNING WITH THAT BS!

SO WHO CARES.................

crymeariver

if i were eddie murphy I would ask for custody of the child based on that kind of history

sassy

THIS COULD MAKE EDDIE MURPHY LOOK GOOD.

HE CAN SAY HE DOESTN WANT HIS CHILD AROUND THIS AND TRY AND LOOK LIKE THE GOOD GUY!

She Looks Fabulous

Hi Davis #21,

I just looked at the UTube link you provided, this is wonderful.

I love the soundtrack music for this, very captivating. And the actress is attractive, on the plump side, but attractive. This seems like its going to be a good movie. When does it release to the theatres?

Hi all, I know this comment is off the subject but the link was great and I wanted to acknowledge it.

She Looks Fabulous

Eddie is trying to start his life with a new woman. Why would he bring another woman's baby into his new woman's life with all of this turmoil going on?

While I don't doubt that at some point he will see the child as he does the rest of his children, Eddie is probably well advised to stay out of this debalcle for the time being. Anybody can see that at this stage of the game, the baby is nothing but a trap for revenge for the Mel B.

Unfortunately, Mel seems to be a lot of trouble right now. I don't know how she is otherwise.

Besides, if there is a real problem, I am sure her mother will be right there to step in and take the child.

In any event, Mel B has a lot to be thankful for in this situation: Child support money, free publicity that she wasn't able to get before she met Eddie (I don't think she could get the time of day with the media before Eddie; free publicity for her new husband, free advertisement for her Spice Girl tour.

She Looks Fabulous

Actually Mel B and her new husband are getting their names established in this country, compliment of Eddie.

Who knows, they may also be getting their careers established as well, or killing their careers, whatever, the case maybe.

It would be good if she could have been introduced to the U.S. in a different way.

gwen

After my own experience with a spousal abuser, I am sure she is totally believing whatever crap he is telling her. She is probably hearing how the ex wife was actually the abuser and he was falsely charged by "the man" and rather then fight it..pled guilty. Mel is probably standing by her man and can't believe what a bitch this guys' ex is. That will all last until she becomes his next victim and then when she finally ditches the guy and this abuser meets someone else who will now hear about how abusive Mel B. is and that he is once again innocent...geez..I felt so bad for my ex and I couldn't believe how abusive his slut ex wife was and I was so impressed that this guy was raising his 3 teenaged boys by himself..it all seemed so wrong that my ex whose mantra was "hitting is wrong" (that should have been a red flag) could have committed such crimes..well guess what I didn't beleive it till he did it to me and those 3 teenaged boys are also as physically and emotionally abusive as their dad..so my point Mel B is don't be stupid, don't be naive..you have kids and it isn't worth the pain and suffering..

Terry

Something happened to bring the law into their lives regardless of what the Ex says now
Even if she didn't want to press charges the DA did so anyway.
Scary Spice has some pretty bad self esteem after her Eddie rejection, She was prime pickings for a predator.
She also brought all this on herself by going so public recently over Eddie's neglect of their child. The media is now snooping everywhere.

Terry

# 21 "Davis" I clicked on your link here and watched the
"Just Weight UTube Presentation"
I found myself wanting to watch more which is a good sign.
She ( the actress) was being abused then she turns wacko on me so now I want to know was it from the abuse or is there a twist to this movie. It looks good and I love movies based on a true story.

Terry

If EM didn't want anything to do with the child that is his loss and in time he will pay for his selfishness and callous manor in which he dealt with the issue. Can't force karma.
Mel should worry more about her own choices and what they could do to the child, Not about Eddie and his choices..The baby is not aware of the situration with her father but she is very aware of her present enviorment.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments