John Singleton Involved in Fatal Pedestrian Accident

8/24/2007 10:49 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

John SingletonJohn Singleton, acclaimed director of "Boyz in the Hood," was involved in a fatal accident Thursday night in Los Angeles.

LAPD officers tell TMZ Singleton was driving his 2001 Lexus SUV around 8:00 PM on a Los Angeles street, when a female pedestrian, not in a crosswalk, suddenly stepped in front of Singleton's car. Police say Singleton immediately stopped and waited for police and an ambulance to arrive. The 57-year-old woman, identified as Constance Russell of Los Angeles, was taken to a nearby hospital where she died Friday morning.

Police tell TMZ Singleton was not speeding at the time and was not under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Cops say their investigation has concluded and they've determined that this was a "very, very unfortunate accident."

Singleton will not be cited for any violation.

A call placed to Singleton's agent was not immediately returned.

Lysette

How tragic. My prayers go out to everyone involved and their families. Very sad.

LRT

I am sorry to hear this for the family and for John. Keep your chin
up John, you did nothing wrong but be in the wrong place whe someone
decided to cross in front of you. God Bless to everyone involved.

stan

Well maybe he should carpool with Brandy

tinkerbell

that was mean #3.... have you ever drove on CA freeways???? all involved will be in my prayers

jen

i hope he is okay, its sad,but i know how that is. its like people dont use common sense, its hard to see pedestrians at night. i've almost hit people simply because i couldnt see them until my healights were on them.

Robin

What a tragic accident. John I hope you don't beat yourself up over this. To Constance Russells' family and friends along with John and too all this accidents affects, I am so sorry and our prayers are with you.

just wondering

....STAY STRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...very sad for all involved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...I will pray for u tonite!!!...ALL OF U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jennifer from toronto

PuNkBrAt

OMG ,,,was the car damaged much??? lol

Robin

Jen, that is so true. Hard to see at night with ppl in dark clothes or even on bikes without reflectors. I hope noone will post anything insentive on this site. Even if it was not too dark outside. People do not follow the walking lights. If he had the right of way and she had the "do not walk" light, than unfortunately she would be considered "jay walking".

hurl

Wow! That's sad for everyone involved. I knew someone who killed someone who was riding a bike. The bike rider hit a rock in the road and turned sharply in front of this woman's car and the bike rider was killed.

It took her a few years before she could drive more than a few blocks by herself and she is still in therapy because of it.

L.A.Driver

This is an all too common thing here in L.A. There are so many Idiots here who think that they can cross the street anywhere they like and just walk into an intersection without even looking. I don't even drive that much, and I can't even count how many times I've suddenly had to slam on my breaks when one of these paste-eaters walk out from between 2 parked cars. It's almost like they WANT to get hit.

Keep in mind, I also do a lot of walking with my dog through residential streets here and I always stop at the corner and look both ways before I cross the street. Don't they teach common sense anymore?

Liserx

I bet her family will try to sue anyway.

itsme

this is very very sad. I pray for all involved!!!!!

itsme

#10 that could happen, u know how it goes!!lol.......................

ZXE

Another genus who's movies provide society with uplifting and thought provoking
stimuli. So many wanna be gangstas who can't even control their own vehicles.
If they had chauffers then they wouldn't be seen and they all want attention. I never did
like him anyway.