« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Vick: I Found Jesus

8/27/2007 12:41 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Speaking in a quiet, contrite voice, former NFL stud Michael Vick faced the media outside of a hotel in Richmond, VA -- and accepted responsibility for his role in a dogfighting ring.

"I will redeem myself" said Vick, "I have to."

Vick wasn't specific about the acts he was sorry for, but declared, "Dogfighting is a terrible thing. I reject it."

Between apologies to everyone from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank -- to all the kids who used to look up to him, Vick declared that he's found Jesus and has turned his life over to God.

"I was ashamed and totally disappointed in myself, to say the least. I want to apologize to all the young kids out there for my immature acts. What I did was very immature, so that means I need to grow up."

Vick also dropped part of his apology in the third person saying, "I totally ask for forgiveness and understanding as I move forward to be a better Michael Vick the person, not the football player."

During the presser, Vick made it clear several times that he never "pointed the finger" and is prepared to face the consequences of his actions.

After speaking for nearly five minutes, Vick left the podium without taking any questions.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned that the judge has accepted Vick's plea.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

me

I didn't know He was lost.

SoulWithoutShame

VICK~YOU did NOT "FIND" GOD. GOD was never LOST. IT was you who was lost~you lost the game my brother~you had ALOT going for you, THINGS that GOD helped you accomplish~but you turned the OTHER cheek~so now, you must reap what you sowed. May your harvest NEVER be bountiful again. As the saying goes~AN EYE FOR AN EYE~
What you send out comes back to thee~X's 3!! Maybe one day, God will have mercy on you soul.

Heather

sure he's SORRY, SORRY HE GOT CAUGHT..........Coming back to football, I hope not, not that i watch football anyway. Just because he says he did not bet, well that is most likely another lie. Found Jesus, -------didn't know he was lost..
People should never forget what he and his buddies did to those poor dogs and cats and whatever other animal he tortured and killed. They are the Vick-tims not M.Vick. Pete Rose got banned from baseball for life and so should Vick.

Daisy (pitbull) and Prada's (Rottweiler) MOM

I will never pay money to see another thing that anyone who has come out in support of Michael Vick does. Any person that supports Vick or any other person that abuses innocents needs to find out what happens when they are judged for their actions too!!!!!!!

Jbo

People "believe" him and it was "heartfelt"... BULL JIVE!!! He's embarrassed b/c he GOT CAUGHT! He's sorry b/c HE GOT SUSPENDED! I do not for one minute believe he is sorry! You can't do something so vile and evil and turn around so quickly and be sorry!

He's just sorry he got caught - that's all!

Stanley Resnick

I commend Vick for finding Jesus BEFORE he went to prison. Usually Jesus is found after the FIRST step into prison.

Losing Jesus is usually the first step AFTER leaving prison.

chorlette

Sometimes it takes alot of diffrent things to make a person realize what they have done is wrong he realizes it now give him a chance he may come out of this a better person. I will keep him and the mistreated animals in prayer.

terry

he is just saying that so he may get out of going to prison, because his attorney told him to do so & he also wants every one to feel sorry for him &say he is genuine. you are a dog killer ahole & you would do it again, you are just sorry you got caught.

pat

He's ahamed and disappointed with himself

cuz

He got caught.

cat man

as glad as i am for his sake i sure did not know jesus was missing or i would have helped look for him.

Dick Smith

Jesus was never lost.Only Michael Vick was lost .Vick could repent and be saved ,if He is truly sincere about inviting Jesus into his life.

Hillman

Flip Wilson's character Geraldine used to say it best 'The Devil made me do it'. Now Mike Vick says 'God let me do it'. Far too convenient for him to "find" God at this particular moment. The whole speech was mechanical and rehearsed. He needed to get a speech coach to sound more sincere.

Get a life

To #100 Klansman: Um, so what do you have to say about your fellow brethren in KY, AL, backwoods of Mississippi, etc. who participate in dogfighting? Dogfighting started with southern rednecks. Slaves didn't own dogs 140 years ago, genius. Stop being a keyboard racist. You guys are the biggest cowards. And learn how to spell your racial slurs, moron.

Buck Ramone

I sure as hell pray that if MV were convicted of abusing children that all you people worried about the animals would be just as adamant in your condemnation of him.

What are you that Stupid?

He should have thought about what would Jesus do when the dogs were killing each other for sport.