Pavarotti's Final Curtain Call

9/8/2007 11:43 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

World-renowned opera singer Luciano Pavarotti was large in life -- and his funeral, in his home town of Modena, Italy, was equally grand.

luciano pavaratti
The singer, who died Thursday at the age of 71 after a long battle with pancreatic cancer, is a mega-star in the opera universe. His private invitation-only funeral, held in Modena's main cathedral, was attended by fellow opera stars Andrea Bocelli, Placido Domingo and Jose Carreras, as well as U2's Bono and a slew of Italian dignitaries.

The funeral was broadcast in Modena's main piazza and watched by thousands of mourners as Pavarotti's vocal performances were played over the city's loud speakers. Luciano set a world record for the most curtain calls -- 165.

Ciao bello!

Hal

14 KIm
You have no class at all.

Tangie

oooh Natalie, the karma's gonna get me!!! LOL Don't worry about what I say F***tard.

Ann

Luciano, you had a great voice and will be sadly missed. I also lost my father to cancer. He was an Italian and a tenor. So we have lost two great tenors in my opinion. Condolences to your entire family.

Audrey Parker

When I read of Luciano Pavarotti's passing, I recalled the words of my late husband, an accomplished musician (he played the tuba in the Rifle Brigade after going through the Royal Military School of Music) ... we were listening to one of so many of Pavarotti's fabulous recordings. Bob remarked, "O, If I had a voice like that ... I'd buy the biggest old-fashioned bathtub (the ones with legs!) and spend my days just singing and singing." Most of us know the pleasure of singing in the shower. Luciano was blessed with a wonderful gift. He spent his life singing. That's what he wanted to do. He accomplished his mission in life. Now, I bet the angels are singing with him, Panis Angelicus, Ave Maria. CIAO BELLO! Don't rest in peace, Luciano, simply sing! Wherever you are, you're a joy! God bless you.

Sherry

The people making the nasty remarks... YOU MAKE ME SICK! There is enough hate in this world and for you to say the things you do on a day that a great man is being buried, shame on you! When you die I hope someone makes comments about your dyed hair and says who gives a crap about you! Have you no heart? No respect? No dignity? I can tell you have no class!

Luciano, may you rest in peace and may your voice carry with the angels of heaven.

fiorenza

il tuo regalo da god,will be missed,and so will you. fiorenza

huh?

Kim....you're what, 12 or 13 right? "F***tard" kind of gave that away. Maybe when you grow up you'll see how much of a skeezer you truly are. What goes around......I'm going to go out on a limb here....hip hop fan are you? Thought so....not surprised. Now go play on you My Space.

S. P.

Only someone with an insular mentality and/or total ignorance of the world outside his or her own country (unfortunately usually America) in terms of culture would make such blatantly vile or stupid comments. This might be the last time I post to the TMZ board because I do not want to be exposed to the filth and hate some of you espouse. Thankfully, most people are decent and open-minded. However for those of you ethically and culturally challenged, let's see, perhaps a highly general description such as the "opera world's Elvis, or the Beatles, or pre-child molesting Micheal Jackson" might convey something to you so that you may begin to even slightly understand. In any case, seeing Pavarotti live in concert was number 22 on my 100 Things to Experience list, right before seeing the Pyramids at Giza. What a lose of an immeasurable talent. My heart goes out to grieving friends and family.

Tangie

Cat girl--Who cares? Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

huh?

Catgirl...well said, thank you! It's scary when I think how our future appears bleak based on the morons who couldn't find thier state on a map. No doubt, the Kims of this world are blindly following multimillion dollar BUISNESSES such as hip hop, MTY, Jackass, etc.....they have no clue, taste, or education to realize real art. Just the act of disrespecting ANYONE who has just passed away is very sad and speaks volumes about the so called person. I'm with you regarding TMZ...it's becoming a magnet for morons.

T

GEEZ, TMZ... FINALLY! IT IS ABOUT TIME IN ONES PASSING THAT YOU GAVE THEM THE RESPECT THEY DESERVE. I HAVE SEEN MORE TACKY AND DISTASTEFULL COMMENTS YOUR REPORTERS HAVE POSTED THAN I HAVE DECENT ONES. THANK YOU. AND THANK YOU TO MR PAVAROTTI FOR SHARING YOUR TALENT TO THE WORLD THOUGHOUT YOU LIFE. GOD BLESS YOUR FAMILY AT THIS TIME.

Tangie

His hair was so gross, all that black dye, dripping, dripping into his soup!

Tangie

d---whose the moron? You can't spell.

Diana

Adieu le grand Pavarotti ! Ciao ! Arrivederci ! Et MERCI BEAUCOUP pour le plaisir que votre magnifique voix nous a procuré.

Spell Check.

Just sayin',

It should be "who's the moron?"

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments