Dan Would Rather Sue CBS -- For $70M!

9/19/2007 4:41 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Former CBS anchorman Dan Rather has filed a $70 million lawsuit against the network, Viacom Inc., and three of his former bosses.

In the lawsuit, Rather claims CBS and its execs tarnished his reputation and made him a scapegoat for a discredited report on President Bush's National Guard service. He also says the network violated his contract by yanking him off the air after the story's fallout.

In a press release issued today, Rather says that if he wins a judgment, he will donate a majority of the money to "causes that will further journalistic independence."

A spokesman for CBS told TMZ, "These complaints are old news and this lawsuit is without merit."

Rather will be a guest on CNN's Larry King Live Thursday night discussing the lawsuit.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

jed

Why? For reporting unsubstantiated news?

I like him. But why does everyone sue?

Dawn Day

Is he gonna live long enough to even cash in??

Simone

I don't blame him. I never watched CBS news anyway, but he did get a raw deal and was made the scapegoat.

Win Dan!

FABIO

He's nothing but a dis-graced low-life journalist whose career is over....

Winky Vitalic

Go Get 'Em, Danno!!

Wtf

Wow, that's a lot of money for someone who doesn't need it. He might croak before they go to court.

Uatu

F-Viacom I hope he wins!!

L.S

you go dan!!

memyself&I

He's still alive? These rich bastards are greedy as hell!

Mary

Go for it, Dan Rather, you have many in the public in support of your efforts!

BC

Yawn....Wonder if he will doctor up some more evidence for this lawsuit? Oh, that's right.... this is a $$$$'s lawsuit not his personal vendetta against the Repubs....Good luck...I am sure you will win lots of money....like you need it.

Inger Trudelle

Dan Rather should go quietly into that good night...he became irrelevant when he inserted his personal views into his newscast. I had watched CBS New when Doug Edwards anchored a 15 minutes spot, and watched Walter Cronkite until he retired. But after just six months with Rather at the helm I switched to ABC and stayed there. He is more focused on his personal fame and less interested in pure journalism. I went to college on a journalism scholarship and what Rather finally ended up doing to his newscast was the editorial page without the disclaimer. He should stay off the airways...I switch channels the minute he comes whining on the air. What a self-serving blowhard.

craig

the man should be shot as a coward...he is a pig that could not even finish marine corp. boot camp...had he come to my foxhole in the first gulf war, i would have fragged his lying ass.

c1rodz

Dan is suing for what? He scapegoated other people while he walked away scott free. He already has enough money to retire. He has already blemished the world of journalism. He is making himself look worse by filing this lawsuit. IDIOT! I am ashamed he is from TX!

kim