Celebrity Endorsements: No Thanks!

9/22/2007 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Celebrities are clearly able to convince people to drink a certain soda or eat a certain food, but when it comes to politics, their word carries little weight.
Oprah, Donald, Kanye, Bill
According to a telephone survey of more than 1,000 people, conducted by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press, several celebrity endorsements would actually cause people NOT to vote for a candidate. For example, when asked whether an endorsement from Kanye West would make them more or less likely to vote for a candidate, 4% said it would make them more likely , but 15% said they'd be less likely. What are those 4% thinking?

Other celebs who had a negative impact included Donald Trump, Jay Leno, Toby Keith and -- shocker -- Bill O'Reilly. The endorsement Barack Obama got from Oprah Winfrey was a wash -- 15% said an endorsement from Oprah would help -- and 15% said it would hurt. Looks like Oprah should stick to recommending books!

buzbeech

The first time I voted I voted for Richard Nixon. Simply because at the time Connie Francis recorded a song for him "Nixons the One". Admiring Connie Francis as much as I do I voted for Nixon. What a heartbreaker when I just heard on 60 minutes that Nixon was very Anti-Italian. And Connie Francis is 100% Italian. How do they say Politics what strange bedfellows you make. I like Obama but I don't like Oprah and the idea of her spending one night in the White House turns me off to Obama. Jesse Jackson went so far as to say Obama was acting too white? Talk about racial profiling.

KAT

COME ON PEOPLE MAKE UP YOUR OWN MINDS AND NOT LET RICH CELEBS MAKE THAT DECISION BECAUSE THEY ARE POPULAR

nonnie

it seems like the celebrities who get involved in making negative political comments or endorse certain candidates do it more for a 'power' play than anything else. Rosie O'Donnell's and Sean Penn's comments on the Iraq War and our troops to name a few.
Oprah endorsing Obama is her right and I am considering voting for him myself -but, the idea of her not allowing any other candidates on her show--announcing it publicly that she would not, to me is 'power' play. Ronald Reagan, Arnold S. (not even going to try to spell it) Sony Bono are a few of the celebrities that truly devote and devoted themselves to our country. Most of the high profile celebrities of today need to keep their narcissist and inane statements to themselves and stay out of the political ring.

Funny Answers

If anything, I vote for someone else, just because the power people push their own agenda. Oprah is smitten. She has so much money, and has come to believe she is more powerful than God, has never back anyone before so openly. But then, this a the first black man, and has none nothing to hide her crush. Trump is so full of himself, that whomever he wants will sign contacts over to him, the same will all the other actors/actress, television talk show people, and game show people. Now, I may be way off on all this, but that is how I feel. They was you show your support is to vote for this person. Not use your "power" for your own needs, but then this is America and greed is well and alive here. Many look out for number one. So, no, no one should vote for the people these power people are pushing. You can, but only after you have done your homework, find out what they stand for, If you like what Obama stands for, vote for him, not because Oprah has the hots for him. The same with Guiliani, or McCain, or Hillary. Your vote is yours, use your own mind and brain power to figure out who you like.

notaceleb

AGAIN, TMZ.COM POSTS HORRIBLE PICTURES OF NAME DROPPERS IT DOESN'T LIKE. NOT A GUY HERE WITH HIS EYES OPEN. GO FIGURE. THOUGH, IT SEEMS THAT EVERYONE WANTS TO SCHMOOZE WITH OPRAH. WONDER WHY?

piuntigailydnas

I don't buy or vote for someone just because of a celebrity. I think It makes us look stupid by having a celebrity endorsing a product Its like we can't make a decision on our own. I certaintly would never buy or vote for anyone that Trump or O'Reilly promotes They are not nice people at all.

annie

I never listen to anyone who tells mewho I should vote for especially celebs. they have no clue how the real world lives or thinks or needs. Its our kids that go to war & nomatter what anyone else thinks our troops believe in what they are doing and that is all that counts. No one in their right mind wants war but when celebs start taking sides with the enemy & putting our country down thats treason as far as alot of us are concerned all they do is help our enemy kill our brave sons and daughters and yet people keep buying their crap and make them richer and that makes them just as dangerous as our enemys. So when I go to vote I'll look at what party our enemies want in, then vote the other. All I keep hearing the terrorist rant is the democrats should be voted in looks like the dems are the party of choice for our enemies and that scares me. I's so funny to hear celebs give their opinion I wonder just how many really take their own advise????

Something smells fishy...

Celebrity input, if anything, would negatively affect my vote because I feel that they are so egotistical or subjective that they run their mouths without really knowing anything about politics or the platforms a particular politician endorses. I don't consider myself a liberal or conservative, I listen to the person and make my choice based on what (or who) sounds good to me.

Dark Knight

You really can't believe anything these "stars" say because most of the time when they are being quoted they are just trying to stay in the news. That's why Kanye says that George Bush doesn't care about black people and whines and cries at every awards show. He knows people will write about that and other than that there really isn't much to him. I wouldn't take his advice on what toilet paper to buy, much less politics. There's enough information out there these days for people to form their own, honest opinion. Don't look to "stars" for this.

Lara

First of all, thank you TMZ for actually posting something with some sort of intelligence.

As for celebrity endorsements, I don't listen to them, and I will sometimes not listen to their music/movies if I hear they support a certain candidate. Not only does it hurt the candidate, but it also hurts the celeb. People don't want to hear it from them. Just make your movies where you get paid a disgusting amount of money and hush. I don't care who they vote for or what their opinion is.

I will admit that there are a few celebrities whose opinions I'd take to heart. People like Clint Eastwood, Sally Field (only people I can' think of at the moment).

WHAT?

Thanks for the info. I will now turn on my own brain.
Jessie is only spreading racism in America to fill his wallet, not the gospel.
Oprah should open her mind back up. Non-biased is how she got to be so successful in America.

A persons occupation does not sway my opinion. Doing damage to my country only changes my opinion about them. They lose my respect & and ALL financial support within their chosen occupation.

FireEmAll

thank GODDDDDDDDDDDDD somebody finally put in in print!! Shaddup Hollywood, and stick to entertaining us!!!!! Thank you TMZ, hopefully they will pay attention and STOP insulting our intelligence - we the "lowly masses" are quite capable of casting our own votes.......no matter which bonehead-politician is running :)

CELEBRITIES

One of us has worked for years doing political, consumer and news telephone surveys.

Having spoken with tens of thousands across America over a period of decades, What they tell the pollsters and what they mean are often quite different.

They will say something so as to NOT appears shallow out of pride. But there is no way to discover what subliminal effects things have on people.

If the hi profile supporters present their reasons for supporting in a clear and convincing way - it may have an impact. It is advertising - just like any other media advertising.

WHAT?

Clinton can move on . org
That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it

tba

At least rhino face Oprah can't influence presidential races with her "stepford" like followers.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments