Keith Urban Blames Paps for Motorcycle Crash

10/1/2007 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Singer Keith Urban was involved in a minor motorcycle accident Monday morning in Sydney, Australia -- and he's hopping mad at paparazzi who he says caused the smash-up!

Witnesses told the Daily Telegraph they saw Urban riding his bike near his home, when he lost control and fell off. The witnesses claim they saw a photographer following Urban on another bike.

When asked about the crash, Urban, through his rep, issued the following statement to TMZ:

"Today's incident was the result of one person's desire to do his job and my desire to maintain my privacy. Some have already attempted to inflate the facts, but the reality is this; while out riding to an AA meeting, a time when my privacy is especially important to me, I felt myself being pursued. I sped up, and in an effort to elude an oncoming car, which was making an illegal U-turn, saw no choice but to drop my bike. In actual fact, my pursuer came to my assistance, without taking photos, and helped me from the road. I returned home, got my car, and continued on my way."

me

So many times I already thought I would cause an accident if I were a celeb followed by the paparazzi.

Some webpages are so respectless. I remember x17 once published the AA meetings Lindsay Lohan went to. Zero respect for an attempt to heal a disease, zero understanding what it could mean for someone else but the celebrity to be "outed" as an alcoholic.

9inch

Crappy Riders always fall.... and always blame someone else!!!

Your trying to hard to be cool ya dweeb!

Cindy

Where does it say anywhere in this story that he was drunk? I think you all need to read it again. Not all recovering alcoholics fall off the wagon. Two of my uncles stayed sober for a whole lot of years before their deaths. So just because you're hiding behind your friends' and spouses' backs and drinking, doesn't mean Keith is.

AllAmericanGirl

Hey #11....your spelling and use of 'slang' make you sound like the 'ignorant' one. (only 1 g, moron)

notaceleb

Ultimately, nobody causes another person to do anything. That's called, "personal responsibility."

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be slut-whores

"Just because he gets into a motorcycle crash it gives you the right to bash him?"

Actually, no. I bashed him because he said this: "I sped up, and in an effort to elude an oncoming car."

In other words, he CAUSED the crash. The police are allowed to speed up and "elude." Dumb, middle-aged guys on too big bikes ARE NOT.

Selfish people should take the bus.

bikerchick

Clearly none of you rides a bike. If you did you would know that everyone WILL drop their bike at some point. It's not of matter of if but when. It could be due to wet pavement or it could be to avoid a more serious accident like he said he was doing. It coild be for any reason. So if unless you ride a bike you shouldn't assume you know anything at all. Because clearly your ignorance is showing.

Indie

What a WHINEY WOMAN!!

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be slut-whores

"Clearly none of you rides a bike. If you did you would know that everyone WILL drop their bike at some point."

I understand that. The point is, it is ENTIRELY the fault of the rider if he was admittedly SPEEDING and ELUDING.

Blaming others only makes him look like a weenie boy who should not be on a bike in the first place.

That you, and your little biker friends, seem to be incapable of understaind such a basic point leads me to believe that none of you wear helmets when you ride.

Let's not forget that too many blows to the head will cause the IQ points to drop!

Puh-lease

Great, the paps almost kill somebody else. No surprise there. Chasing celebs like that should be illegal, given that everybody else on the road is placed in danger as well.

Terry

Something does not feel right with his story.
But If he is happy with it....stick to it.
Lohan used it for years.

Bland Ambition

Is he wearing lipgloss?

rocksan scatliffe

you people that are on this web site that are writing anything that is negative need to get a life ,i say before you say anything bad and negative about any one famous or not i say to you first look in the mirror then look at your family and friends,and know that each time you say anything negative or otherwise you are not only talking about that person you are also talking about yourself and your family and friends.

Terry

"I sped up, and in an effort to elude an oncoming car, which was making an illegal U-turn"

Was he attempting to get ahead of and use the car as a block for the following photog and failed?
(Caution, watch out for celebrity's who cannot handle their big boy toys)

Recovered

I think it is so irresponsible for people to write nasty things about recovering addicts that are trying to get their lives back on track. I for one am proud of Keith for going to AA and taking back control of his life. Not all people are like the Lindsey's and the Paris's in the world. Keep up the good work Keith. Rock on!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments