Robbie Williams ... Who That?

10/4/2007 9:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Robbie Williams is a big star in the UK, but his popularity across the pond was tested last night when a passerby had no clue who he was.

TMZ caught the "Rock DJ" singer outside the El Rey after the Mark Ronson concert, where after getting into his SUV, a man on the street started asking our cameraman, "Who is that?"

Even after being told "Robbie Williams," the guy was clueless. Guess he's not a Take That fan.

Lenn K.

Never heard of him?????

dingdongdan

I've heard of him, but have no idea who the hell he is. Robin William's gay young brother?

Who cares about this thick browed loser anyways. Go back to London.

bustedcelebrity

Hey could be worse Robbie. Guy could have been like - Oh wait I know that dude. He owes me 30 bucks. Quick get my gat

cheers,
bustedcelebrity.com

ck

I remember a very funny quote from Robbie Williams where he was lamenting his total lack of success in the US, the country in hich he now makes his home. He said the only way his albums were going to show up in music stores was if he brought them in and put them on the shelves himself.

Dawn Day

I would have asked the same question!

jen

Robbie Williams sings Beyond the Sea at the end of Finding Nemo, as the credits roll, and does a good job at that!

dingdongdan

If a credit song at the end of Finding Nemo is his biggest claim to fame in North America, no wonder no one knows who the hell he is.

Gawd, he looks like Bert from Sesame Street.

zekedog

Get your head out of your arse, America!

The more you focus on the Thirty Mile Zone, the more you're destined to know only Britney, Paris, etc.

If John Lennon came back, you'd probably ask him who he is!

wa wa waa

Who? Robbin Williams? Who dat? I FIRST NOTICED ROBBIE ON PBS OR SOMETHING..HE WAS PERFORMING W/ A BIG BAND, AND THE CROWD WAS ESTACTIC! HOWEVER, I THOUGHT THAT HE ACTED PECULIAR..SOME OF THE THINGS HE SAID TO THE AUDIENCE WERE QUITE WEIRD..I COULDN'T FIND ANY CLIPS OF THIS PERFORMANCE..I THOUGHT THAT HE MUST BE SOMEBODY FAMOUS IN THE UK OR POLAND OR AMSTERDAM.

Team K-Fed

He's a nobody

Peter

He is one of the world's biggest pop stars outside the USA. So I doubt he really cares that a few americans don't even know who he is. There are plenty of american "stars" that the rest of the world wouldn't know or care about.

Mariah

#9: What you saw was his concert at The Royal Albert Hall ( a tremendous honor to be able to perform there). No wonder Europeans hate we Americans so much. We can't seem to think "outside the box" anymore. Anyway, he was performing songs from his swing album. It was a fantastic success. This isn't meant as a dig against you, but his humor would be lost on people who aren't familiar with his history/ and his sense of humor. Trust me, the audience got him. People need to Google his name. They'll see how big he really is. Yes, just not in America. I wish people would research their music more. There are so many great acts out there who haven't "made it" in America. That doesn't mean they are not good or successful. When did America become the standard-bearer for who has become successful? (Sigh....)

Mariah

#11: You're right. He has said himself that at one point he did care about cracking the U.S. but now he relishes in not being famous here. This has become the one place he can walk around "unmolested" as he humorously put it. He gets to be a rock star everywhere else and then come back to his house and lead a semi-normal life. Sounds like a good deal to me.

DJ MARCUS

ROBBIE WILLIAMS ....TAYLOR HICKS..... NEED I SAY MORE

DJ MARCUS

wickedspice83

hey #9 I think you are talking about Robbie Williams live at Albert Hall. He performed on the MTV Music awards YEARS ago. he has had like 2 songs get semi-big here. Millenium and Angels. He is crazy talented and funny. He did a duet with Nicole Kidman, 'Something Stupid', check out the music video, so hot.

He should go onto Dancing With the Stars, then everyone in the US would know him and love him.

He was also the only person to be on MTV's Cribs twice (I think) the first house wasn't his, he was housesitting for Jane Seymour and used hers. Anyways Robbie is cheeky and sexy as all hell.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments