Ellen's Doggone Nightmare

10/15/2007 1:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Talk show queen Ellen DeGeneres is caught in the middle of a doggy tug of war that has left an innocent girl in tears.
Ellen dog exclusive
Ellen and her girlfriend, Portia de Rossi, adopted Iggy (a Brussels Griffon mix) from Mutts and Moms, a dog adoption agency. But things didn't work out as Ellen planned -- her cats didn't get along with Iggy -- so she gave the pooch to her hairdresser, who has two kids, including 12-year-old Ruby.

Last night, a rep from the agency came to the hairdresser's home, claiming Ellen violated the contract by not informing the agency of the hand-off. The rep demanded to take the dog away. Ellen' s position -- yeah, she should have notified the agency, but she found a loving home and isn't that what counts? The agency rep stuck to her guns and removed the dog with cops present. Ruby is heartbroken; reduced to tears.

Ellen says, "I kept saying, 'If you want to be mad at me, be mad at me, but don't take it out on the family. Don't take it out on the dog.'"

TMZ has video of the confrontation at the hairdresser's home, as well as interviews with Ellen, Portia and little Ruby. You can watch the full story tonight on TMZ TV.

The Britney Spears Coffee and Gas Roundup

Britney Spears: Click to watchBrit was up to her usual tiresome tricks this weekend -- you'll never guess where she went!

Ding ding dang! If you said gas stations and Starbucks with her paparazzi entourage in tow -- you've won!

TMZ caught Spears in Malibu on Friday at her favorite coffee shop, where a chef from a Country Mart restaurant shouted, "Run 'em all over!" to Brit as she rolled up. She then hightailed it to a gas station, where she decided to read "The Chronicles of Narnia" as a photog pumped her gas. I's edumacated, y'all!

Britney hot -- click to launchBrit also stopped into a salon and was blinded by flashes on her way out -- once again shouting, "So over it!" ... but later asking for someone's hand to help guide her to the car. She even proved she still can sing, giving an operatic note before driving off.

Brit's Saturday was no less paparazzi-filled, with the popwreck sending a photog into Virgin Records in Hollywood to pick up a Justin Timberlake CD while she waited in her car.

All this and more in today's "Gimme More CS Lewis" edition of Spears Catcher.

Orlando the Hero? Puh-lease!

orlando goes off - click to play Orlando Bloom's reps are spinning his bad behavior following a serious car accident in the most ridiculous way we've seen in a long time.

Bloom was behind the wheel early Friday morning when his vehicle struck a parked Porsche, seriously injuring one of his passengers. Bloom's reaction -- he walked away from the car and his badly hurt passenger. Video from X17 tells the story -- paparazzi have to repeatedly tell Bloom that walking away constitutes hit and run. When it finally sinks in, Bloom walks back and pretends to be a hero, comforting the woman.

A statement released by Bloom's people on Friday said the star was "grateful that no one was seriously injured." We're no medical experts, but we'd call the FRACTURED NECK sustained by his friend, Cher Coulter, pretty serious.

And the cops are saying that Bloom was not drunk or under the influence of drugs at the time of the accident -- but they didn't conduct a blood alcohol test at the scene and none was ever given because, they say, because Orlando showed no signs of intoxication.

Was Orlando drinking? Watch him go off on a guy outside a club, minutes before the crash, and then decide for yourself.

T.I. Busted for Allegedly Buying Weapons

T.I. TMZ has obtained the affidavit and search warrant issued by The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) after T.I. allegedly had his bodyguard buy illegal machine guns and silencers for him.

Since T.I. is a convicted felon, he can't legally buy firearms, so, according to the ATF, he used his bodyguard to purchase them for him and members of his entourage. According to the affidavit, the bodyguard admitted to buying nine firearms for T.I. (real name Clifford Harris) and approximately 17 other firearms for people other than Harris.

He was charged with two felonies -- possession of three unregistered machine guns and two silencers, and possession of firearms by a convicted felon. A source told MediaTakeOut.com that "[The bodyguard] asked T.I. for an advance on his [pay] and T.I. gave it to him. ...Whatever he spent money on -- whether it be guns, drugs, or formula for his children -- T.I. had nothing to do with it."

TMZ spoke with Chevrolet this morning, which features the rapper in one of its biggest ad campaigns. When asked whether they planned to drop him as a spokesman, a rep for the automaker only said they are "reviewing the situation."

If Chevy does indeed drop him, there's always Smith & Wesson!

UPDATE: This afternoon, the ATF showcased the guns seized in the case (pictured below).

guns seized in T.I. case

COMMENTS

JaneLMW

It's all about greed and power, huh? Please inform yourself! Animal rescue requires a lot of money. In the last couple of months, the small, all volunteer rescue I foster for has had two dogs crash during heartworm treatment. They required supportive care to the tune of $4,200. I placed a Chihuahua last year that required $1,200 surgery on his hip to be able to walk normally again. I currently have a foster toy poodle who is blind. Just determining that there was nothing we could do to restore his sight cost over $1,000. All except the poodle were placed with adoption fees of from $175 to $300 each. Aside from the loss on vet care, we had to pay the shelter pull fee of $100 on most of them, place the reference and vet check phone calls, travel to the potential adopters' homes for home visits and/or delivery of the dog, and provide food, flea prevention, and heartworm prevention. That list leaves out the extras like cute collars for pictures, beds, crates, fences, bowls, toys, treats, etc. Sure there are a few dogs that we spend less than their adoption fee on, but they are the exception.

So it's all about power, huh? The only time I feel powerful is when I've made a good match for the dog and the family. More often, I feel inadequate. When I go to the animal shelter to pick the lucky few pups we can take, I have to leave any number of great dogs behind. When I try to catch a starving stray and fail, I feel inadequate. When I try to explain to a potential adopter why the dog they have set their heart on is not the best choice for them, I feel inadequate. There is no real power or glory in this work.

Sure, some of the people in animal rescue are good with the animals and not so good with other people. Sure, the placement of the dog previously adopted by Ellen could have been handled differently. But, the fact remains that Ellen agreed to an adoption contract and failed to abide by its terms.

Lasha

Yes, Ellen should have called Mutts and Mom and informed them she was giving up the dog to another family. But did the owner of the dog rescue has to come in like a stormtrooper and remove the pet from the little girl with the police in tow? I'd say no. Both parties contributed to this mess.

People who think Mutts and Mom is in the wrong and would like to e-mail them about it, here's their web site:

Alex

Okay - I agree with the above poster - I, too, support local Southern California animal shelters and, if I know the name of this shelter, I will stop supporting them and double my money to the other ones in LA and San Diego counties. This is shameful. There is always fine print that is supposed to be read, but, to carry this out when we all know that Ellen would be the last person to hurt an animal in anyway, with the police involved - NOT TO MENTION A 12 YEAR OLD GIRL WHO IS DEVASTED - is just plain dreadful. I am so sorry for the little girl and for Ellen and all the rest of us who have adopted these wonderful creatures into our homes. At the same time, most shelters are incredible places and deserve tremendous respect, but, instead of pointing fingers this time as to who is right and who is wrong - the shelter should do the right thing and give the dog back to the little girl.

Cody G

In my opinon, they shouldn't have taken the dog , myself I dont know Ellen personally, but I know her enough from television that she knew what she was doing and that she wouldnt have just given up her dog for any old sleez bag. I am pretty sure that the girl she gave it to would have taken very good care of her and would not ever mistreat the dog. Ellen is right, the shouldnt have taken the dog out of the middle of no where away from the girl because the lady did nothing wrong as it seems so why should she have to suffer the consequenses? And knowing Ellen and other people like you and me, I wouldnt have thought anything about giving the dog up. I would know better by choosing who I give the dog to and I know that I wouldnt give it to sombody I trust and im sure Ellen was doing the same thing. She knew she couldnt keep it but also probably knew that she couldnt drop it off at the animal shelter, so she had no choice I would assume than to give it to one of her trusted friends. Wouldnt you probably do the same thing if you had no other choice?

Hry

Boycott Mutts and Moms

moms2cool

#75 Penny that's a pretty far jump from Ellen rehoming a dog to a dog being "Free to a good home" and you are *WRONG* you are speaking to someone who's taken in dogs "free to a good home" & rehomed them! And yes I imagine some dogs given away for free end up in trouble but lets face it this dog was given to Ellen who had cats that would not accept the dog!

The *RATIONAL* solution was not to rip the dog from the loving home Ellen had found it but to just to a recheck of them! It's the jumping to conclusions of those like YOU & the IRRATIONAL acts of those like this angency that gives pet adoption agencies A BAD NAME! If I adopted a "free to good home" dog the owner would NOT come in the next week & take it from me! & if it didn't work out & I rehomed it to my elderly mom who really wanted that lap dog they wouldn't rip it out from her because she doesn't have a fenced in apartement! Let go of your power trip honey & truly put the best interest of the dog first!

suzanne

THEY DON'T AAKE KIDS AWAY FROM NEGLECTFUL HOMES, BUT YET THEY TAKE A DOG FROMA GOOD ENVOROMENT& IT'S PEOPLE?A LITTLE GIRL? SOUNDS LIKE THE ANIMAL POLICE ARE THE MESN ONES. CRUELLA DEVILLE. SOCIETY DOESN'T MAKE GOOD SENSE.

DFB

How stupid is this women???? She wanted to have Ellen give the dog back to the agency,so the dog could be put back in the kennel, and be subjected to all the illness and fleas and kennel cough, these animals endure during their confinement, while she tries to find another home. What if the animal was never adopted out again??? would they put it down??? It already had another good home. What a power monger!!! Oh you didnt follow the rules, which were put inplace to protect the animals from people who adopt animals for profit or other bad intentions, so I am going to be an idiot and remove the dog from this loving home and upset both the family and the animal because I am on a power trip. Good job, women, you need your head examined.

I THINK BRITNEY ROCKS

I love Ellen and think she's a wonderful person who did what she thought was right. Why send the poor pup back to an environment with so many unwanted animals? I can understand if she gave it to Vick, someone who simply hates dogs.

Doris

how awful to break a child's heart over this. Ellen never would have given the dog up to a family that wouldn't check out according to the standards of this agency. If all it takes is a background check.....couldn't that gestapo have left the dog there in the meantime and when they found out it was a good home with a loving family, they would have avoided all this heartache AND confusion for the poor dog!!! SHAME ON THEM.

moms2cool

#78 hisakojack Why didn't the agency work with Ellen?! THEY are the ones that are suppose to be doing the adoption! They are the ones asking all the questions! They are the ones coming in now throwing around their power to take this dog from a *good home* why didn't THEY ask her about the cats? Didn't they give any consideration as to these animals accepting the dog? THEY are suppose to be the *EXPERIENCED ones! Perhaps it wouldn't occur to Ellen because she's not done this before it isn't part of her experience but it WOULD BE the experience of the ADOPTION AGENCY! This is *their responsibility tha they have rehomed a dog properly & *they didn't*! Then to make THAT WRORSE they come in & take it from a GOOD HOME publicly giving adopting a bad name *AGAIN! These people SHOUL not be allowed to do any more adoptions because the *animals suffer* because of them!

Cheryl

This is ridiculous. If Ellen adopted the dog, then it was hers. She should be free to give it to whomever she pleases. It's not the dog adoption agency's any longer. I'm sure she paid something for it as well. They have no right to take it from her hairdresser. I'm sure the dog had a good home. Ellen is a real animal lover and wouldn't have given it to just anyone. She probably didn't want to give it up in the first place but felt it would be best for the dog. Absolutely stupid. They should give them the dog back. It's not theirs any longer to "adopt" out.

Clara

If Britney's antics are so tiresome (and I would agree), then just don't report about her. After all, YOU are the problem, not that she went to Starbucks or a gas station.

Pooch Lover

Ellen signed the contract not the girl who received the dog.

The agency should let the girl have the dog advising the family if they can't continue to care for the pet, to return him/her to them.

Ellen would only give the dog to good people and no harm should be suspected by Ellen giving the dog to someone without prior approval from the Agency.

Mrs K

Britany and the Paparazzi
Isn't there a better way of spending your time....poor women...how does she stand it??
Ellen .... is so high profile and such an animal lover and caring enough to concider the dog and her cats feelings that "OMG" she made sure the poor dog had a loving family and home.
Go figure.....
She thought of the animal....not that rep wasn't, but bringing in the law??? Pleeeezzz!Wanting her 10 minutes of fame....
Lets all go through our days looking for ways to hurt someones feelings, pull pets from truely loving homes, and follow a woman-mother-daughter doing her daily errands.....
What is this world coming too!!!!