Ellen Breaks Down on Her Show

10/16/2007 12:48 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The usually upbeat Ellen DeGeneres was anything but on today's episode of her show -- stopping her opening monologue to give a passionate, tear-filled speech about her recent dog troubles.

After walking on to the usual applause, Ellen quieted the audience and explained that, "Today is a hard day for me ... I am not capable of coming out and pretending to be funny when things are going so terribly wrong right now."

Wiping tears from her eyes, Ellen went on to talk about her ongoing battle with a dog rescue group that took back a dog Ellen adopted after discovering the talk show hostess had given it to her hairdresser.

Tonight's TMZ TV has all the latest on the developing story. Watch today's episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" to see the rest of her passionate plea.

so so sad

The bottem line is a little girl and a dog are stuck in the middle of an adult issue....one must do what is best for all involved....Why does everyone judge so? What does Ellen sexual preferance have to do with this case? The issue is the DOG and the GIRL and the rule which was broken and oooo yeah a money hungry women who wants to collect on the misfortune of the first placement not working out.... people this is america it always boils down to dollars and cents. In case you have not noticed Ellen has quite a bit these days Muts and moms does not, so sad and unfortunate the two bystanders stand to lose the most.....

Meowch

You would have thought she was just delivered news that a loved one had died or was diagnosed with a terminal illness. Shall we say, over reaction, perhaps perimenopausal-

Babylove

Ellen
I too had to give up a puppy(Shi-tzu) that someone gave me and asked that I don't breed her or give her away!I had too!My 16 yr old house cat(Kaylee) hated the puppy and my son was tragically injured(does not walk or talk) so my life changed drastically because I became my son's 24 hr. caregiver and that cute little puppy didn't receive enough love~so I gave her to a friend that hads just lost her dog! She was so thrilled and happy. It was hard! You can't help but love'em!!! But, I knew she had a loving home! Good luck Ruby~I hope you can get your puppy back!!!

Tangie

That is ridiculous! She has other problems going on....maybe Portia is leaving her for Anne Heche. Maybe her dildo broke.

Kate

The rule that you must return an adopted animal if you cannot care for it is standard among reputable adoption agencies, and Ellen should have paid attention to the agreement she signed. However, there is no reason for the agency not to hold the dog and allow the hairdresser to go through the adoption process. Ellen would certainly pick up their adoption fee to set things right.

Bob

For all you a**holes on here who are saying it's just a dog. We just lost 2 good dogs after 18 years; they had to be put to sleep. Over the years we had them I found that dogs are better than a good portion of the people on this earth. Especially some of the idiots posting here!

LI

Everyone should email this company until the dog is returned! They took down their email off their website but I have it from yesterday. Please everyone,. this is wrong and shouldn't be tolerated!!

pawboutique@yahoo.com

Me

I got a dog from a rescue group (not that one) and had to sign a contact stating that I could not give the dog away. I feel sorry for her and the little girl but these were the terms that Ellen agree to.

Marni

Unless you volunteer (or have volunteered in the past) with an animal rescue group, it will be hard to understand why this was a problem and why the dog was removed. First, there are so many people out there that lie and abuse their animals, that the animal rescue groups HAVE to do home screenings and make sure that the animals are adopted into good homes. The reason that we require that people return the animal to US instead of rehoming it themselves is because the general public does not know what to screen for, what to look for, and how to weed out the liars. (Even we make mistakes and screw up with screening, and we do this everyday.) When Iggy was first rescued, someone fostered him. When he was adopted to Ellen, that is where the foster believed he was going to spend his life. Since it didn't work out, not only were they obligated to return the dog to the group, but it is the group's decision on where to adopt the dog after that. It is not Ellen's choice on where to rehome the dog- that decision belongs to the rescue group. I will hope that they will do a home visit on the hairdresser's family, and adopt the dog to them. however, if they do not adopt the dog to the hairdresser's family, then obviously there is a reason. Trust me, animal rescue groups want to place as many dogs and cats in wonderful homes. For them, especially after this has been publicized, to not adopt the dog to them speaks volumes. Unfortunately, it is not Ellen's decision where this dog goes, that decision belongs to the rescue group. She signed a contract indicating that she would return the dog if it didn't work out. She should have done so. I know there are people out there that think that dogs and cats are not important and that this shouldn't be a big deal, but I challenge those people to volunteer with a rescue group, foster an animal, and then have this happen to them, and I believe the opinion will be different then.

SuperStarSteve

I think it's great Ellen has a successful show and finds time to rescue animals. I think this pet adoption service should be happy the dog was with an appreciative owner. Instead of taking the animal back, they could've just popped in on the new owner and made an evaluation.
PR and other posters who aren't into dogs don't get it. If you're a dog lover you get attached and it's not just an "LA thing". Presumably the dog was in a rescue situation because I guess once the rescue service can no longer hold the animal it gets euthanized. They must know who she is and that the girl wanted a dog, so why can't they just use common sense and move on? "Mutt's and Moms" pet adoption service sound like they need to get a clue. Now that it's being highlighted, they need to do a PR move and give the dog back...otherwise they don't look too bright.

ohhhh Geeeeeeeeeeeeeze

This is just sad all together.

Some Rules should not be put in concrete.
This is an animal that was being taken care of
in a loving home it seems.

The agency is just NUTS in what it did.

Where was any agency when VICK was killing dogs?

Now today when someone asks you to help out such as these
dog placement agencies insist they do not do what this one did.

GET REAL they need to bring that dog back to that family and
issue a BIG OPPS we over reacted...

Eden

Ellen is a caring person and has helped lots of people as well as animals. I understand she broke the "rule" by not contacting the organization. The woman made her point but should have returned the dog to the family who loves him. Why can't the paperwork or owner name just simply be transferred. The organization probably saw this as a way to get free advertising. Hopefully, the attention will make others afraid to do business with them. Since I'm also an animal lover.....the important thing is a good, loving home for the dog and the organization seems more interested in the money and the "rules".

LI

Email them, thie is wrong!

pawboutique@yahoo.com

Jason Dottley

Hi,
I just adopted a chihuahua from Ashley Paige's non-profit Ruff Houzen and I'm a celebrity too (http://mavrixonline.com/mavrixonline/2007/10/yo_quiero_ty_guapo.html) If Ashley ever pulled what you pulled with Ellen, I'd hope she'd try to adopt a genuine heart and a less press hungry attitude. Luckily, Ashley's goal is to place her rescued animals in a good home. Ellen, I'm sure, shared her mission when she placed the dog she adopted from your organization with Ruby.

Your behavior is disgraceful to anyone who really cares for animals (or children).

Someone needs to rescue YOU!

jason dottlley

Deb

They took a dog away from a kid with the police to help them!You can't tell me that this rescue group was unwilling to work with the new family that Ellen gave the dog to.If that was the case, then the rescue group needs to be looked into!! Ellen and Portia WOULD never put an animal in harm's way. I think that the rescue group way over reacted. If they have proof that the family was abusive to the dog then more power to them, but to me it seems like overkill on the part of the rescue group. Isn't the point of rescues to place them in good and loving homes? Go Ellen-thanks for sharing your bad day! Behind you all the way!!!!!!!!