Why FBI May Have Seized Copperfield's Stuff

10/23/2007 5:44 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

David Copperfield is under the FBI microscope, and now TMZ may know why.

Last week, the FBI raided Copperfield's Las Vegas warehouse and seized digital camera equipment and a hard drive to a computer -- this, after a Seattle woman accused Copperfield of sexually assaulting her in the Bahamas.

Sources now tell TMZ Copperfield designed part of his show around "a system for picking up women." During his show, David goes into the audience and chooses women to come on stage. We're told that if David likes a girl, he'll use code words with assistants like "mama" and "secrecy." The assistants mark the women on a map of the inside of the Hollywood Theater at MGM Grand. After the show, the women are brought backstage -- and that's where the profiling begins.

The women are told that David may use them in his show when he comes to their hometown. They are then photographed with a digital camera, asked questions like, "What is your favorite men's cologne?" and "Where do you like to vacation?" We're told one of those vacation spots mentioned by staff is the Bahamas, where the accuser claims she was assaulted. Copperfield owns a cluster of islands in the Bahamas -- which he bought for $50 million.

This may explain the FBI's interest in David's camera system and hard drive. If the accuser is a woman who was brought on stage, the FBI would be interested in a possible M.O.

Copperfield's attorney re-issued his earlier statement in response to this story: "It is important these allegations be put into perspective. An unidentified woman has made serious allegations against David Copperfield. Although authorities have not revealed her identity to us, we know these allegations are false because David Copperfield has never forced himself on anyone."

HotShifter

Wait just a dang minute.... Whatever happened to "Innocent until Proven Guilty"??? Some of you already have the guy convicted and what evidence do you have? Isn't that the same thing that happened in the Duke Rape case? I guess you will be taking out an ad in the paper condemning the man before you have even heard what really happened. Have you even heard from the woman accuser or a response from Copperfield? You should be ashamed of yourselves as much as I am......

He's Boring now

Hotshifter, he's guilty of being a Cad. But that part isnt usually part of the court proceedings.

I'll never look at the guy the same way after learning of his "methodology" for using women, whether he raped them or not, he's an A #1 CAD.

Ashamed you say? The ones who should be ashamed is his own Family for probably already knowing of this rouse and not stopping it. See what it can lead to?

So maybe he'll get his day in court and he can get cleared of rape charges. But his Reputation will be forever tarnished with his audience selection antics.

dtabb

So an extortionist from Seattle claims she was violated in the Bahamas last summer and brings it up in October? What does the FBI do, extradite him to the Bahamas? This was not a crime (if any) committed in the USA.

Where is the evidence? Obviously long gone. It's a he-said...she-said issue now.

What he does in his performances may be sincere...recognizing the women when and if he performs in their home towns. Seems businesslike to me.

This kind of accusation is what makes it so hard for real rape victims to get their day in court without being villified. The unidentified woman from Seattle is who should be on trial.

DT

He's Boring now

That stage audience chirade sounds one shade short of being sexual harrassment. Like the woman outlined with her own experience, its creepy and so apparently is he.

How tacky and antiquated. And he's the guy who was so worried about that mystery magician some years back giving away magic secrets. Glad to know this secret is now public. May no unwilling women fall for his bump and dump routine again.

Guess theirs a reason he cant have a real relationship. He's hollow inside.

2million$woman

Hey,,, you coulda just bought me ;)

2million$woman

I'm magic.. I can make 9" disappear.. how about you Dave?

GTX88

Now they will be coming out of the woodwork! Look Out...

reel story

THIS APPEARED ON CRAIG'S LIST NY
***************************************************************************************
What am I doing wrong?

Okay, I'm tired of beating around the bush. I'm a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25 year old girl. I'm articulate and classy. I'm not from New York . I'm looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City , so I don't think I'm overreaching at all.

Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a business man who makes average around 200 - 250. But that's where I seem to hit a roadblock. 250,000 won't get me to central park west. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker and lives in Tribeca, and she's not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right? How do I get to her level?

Here are my questions specifically:

- Where do you single rich men hang out? Give me specifics- bars,
restaurants, gyms

-What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you won't hurt my feelings

-Is there an age range I should be targeting (I'm 25)?

- Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the upper east side so plain? I've seen really 'plain jane' boring types who have nothing to offer married to incredibly wealthy guys. I've seen drop dead gorgeous girls in singles bars in the east village. What's the story there?

- Jobs I should look out for? Everyone knows - lawyer, investment banker, doctor. How much do those guys really make? And where do they hang out? Where do the hedge fund guys hang out?

- How you decide marriage vs. just a girlfriend? I am looking for
MARRIAGE ONLY

Please hold your insults - I'm putting myself out there in an honest way. Most beautiful women are superficial; at least I'm being up front about it. I wouldn't be searching for these kind of guys if I wasn't able to match them - in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping a nice home and hearth.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 432279810
THE ANSWER
Dear Pers-431649184:
I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament. Firstly, I'm not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said here's how I
see it.

Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a cr@ppy business deal. Here's why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here's the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity...in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won't be getting any more beautiful!

So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation accelerates! Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35 stick a fork in you!

So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold...hence the rub...marriage. It doesn't make good business sense to "buy you" (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease. In case you think I'm being cruel, I would say the following. If my money were to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It's as simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage.

Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So, I wonder why a girl as "articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful" as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to believe that if you are as gorgeous as you say you are that the $500K hasn't found you, if not only for a tryout.

By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then we wouldn't need to have this difficult conversation.

With all that said, I must say you're going about it the right way.
Classic "pump and dump." I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of lease, let me know.

*****************************************************************
Copperfield should have had the lease "signed and witnessed" in advance.

Thought provoking

The fact that David Copperfield has a " system" to pick up women is nothing new in the entertainment business. This has probably been going on for a long time.
The real issue here is the involvement of Federal Agents to probe a celebrity of David Copperfield's status and confiscate and rade his home. I don't think they would waist their time unless there was some serious evidence to back up these allegations.
In any case, time will tell as the information continues to "leak" or come out. David Copperfield's attorney surely can not be surprise this information is getting leaked to the press.
It appears it is damage control on the side of Copperfield and the longer this drags out the greater the chance of this harming his career.

Logic Dictates

Kathy Johnstone

Gimme a break!!! Whatever happened to "Innocent Until Proven Guilty?"
Did she not go to the Bahamas alone (she is married right?). To me it's just a line. Show me the proof.

magicfest

I cant beleive this. He is a single man and an entertainer. He has a right to invite any consenting adult to spend time with him. He is a magician / rock star. Bands have been doing this for years and no one is complaining. If he raped someone then he is accountable but if he is guilty of using his celebrity to meet ladies, the we better look at politicians, actors, musicians and all celebrities alike. If you were able to use fame to meet ladies, wouldnt you ?

sparekeys9

Wow, He's so cute to me. I don't think he needs a gimmick to be with women. I think this is a trick. He's not desperate for women. He has boat loads on his island.

TINA

WOMEN SHOULD KNOW BETTER BY NOW THEN TO JUST TAKE OFF WITH SOMEONE KNOW MATTER WHO OR HOW FAMOUS HAVE WE NOT LEARNED ANYTHING YET.

Lori

I met David a few years ago while vacationing with my family in Vegas. He brought me up on stage at his show, I ended up having dinner with him the next 2 evenings. He was very clear that his show is how meets women and seemed to have no problem with the fact that I was 23. I declined an offer to go back to his suite as it was too werid.

Rico

i dont believe it at all. seems like the duke thing all over again! davi is a good with lots of money!