Howard Stern's Cousin to "Bee Movie" -- Buzz Off!

11/2/2007 2:08 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Howard Stern's cousin Richie made a bee-line to sue the makers of the new "Bee Movie," claiming they ripped off his company's popular catchphrase used to sell their honey-based skin care products. Swat that away!
Breaking News
TMZ has obtained the stinging lawsuit, in which BeeCeuticals of Fort Lauderdale is buzzing mad at Dreamworks and Paramount, saying the "Give Bees a Chance" slogan used in marketing the film was their idea. The suit, filed in federal court by Stern's cousin, bee-lister Richie Gerber, alleges the slogan has been used more than 400 times on Stern's radio show, and was usurped by Jerry Seinfeld's new animated bee flick.

The suit also claims that movie companies approached BeeCeuticals about a promotional offer, but the deal was never struck. "Bee Movie" flies into theaters today.

Dreamworks did not return our call for comment.

Borage

Steven Spielberg and Jerry Seinfeld i also suspected of stealing - a swedish movie. It feels like a dark cinderella storie, says the creator Henrik Wallgren. Henrik Wallgren and Per Umaerus came up with the idea to do a animated movie about bees and theirs contact with humans, and Dreamworks showed an interest of the idea.

They claim that they showed a script and a pilot of their movie Beebylon to Dreamworks in 2002, who turned it down saying it was to childish for the american audience. A year later they and Jerry Seinfeld announce that they were making their own fairly similar movie. In an interview in the swedish tv Seinfeld completely dismisses the similarities between the movies:

"I’m trying not to laugh too hard because I find it very funny…. You know anybody who would make something about bees would use the look of the bee, with the stripes, so, yes, there is that similarity."

For some reason the reporter didn’t ask him about the fact that Dreamworks were shown Beebylon just a year before starting the promotion of Bee Movie. A coincidence? Now Wallgren and his collegues are planning a lawsuit against Dreamworks.

KRTY still Loves Ya

2nd

L.S

OCD

If Burt's Bees leaves them alone, then why the fuss?

Oh, yeah. Money. I guess Howard's cuz needs a little "nuisance" money to shut up and go away.

Bees. Imagine that. A flaming lawsuit over....bees.

L.S

What? who cares..it looks like a cute movie

IT IS WHAT IT IS!

WE DONT EVEN CARE ABOUT HOWARD MUCH LESS HIS FREAKING SURE TO BE LIKE LOWLIFE COUSIN!

BUZZ OFF WITH THE COUSIN BIT.
HOWARD ISNWORTH A BUZZ, HIS NO-NAME COUSIN SURE DONT!

NOT GIT!!!

IT IS WHAT IT IS!

okay, okay, okay, its these names that are so similar.
i apologize. i thought we were talking about the murderer HOWARD K. STERN.

HOWARD STERN, WE LIKE.
HOWARD K. STERN WE NO LIKE.
i apolozize!

IT IS WHAT IT IS!

what is this now?
first they sue Jerry's wife for stealing recipes
now they are after jerry for stealing bees

is this a mushroom trip?

Howard Rules!

I listen to Howard everyday and yes, his cousin's advertisements run ALL the time. I'm sure Howard will bring this up on Monday. It IS pretty shady!

Maynard

Very thing about this is that I have heard the Bee-ceuticals company advertisement on the Stern channel many many times and when I first saw the Bee-Movie add using it I immediately made the connection back. Those that say the lawsuit is just for money should know that this guy is already doing pretty well for himself. He's had companies purchase by whole foods and based on their success, I'm sure that there was some pretty good money in that sale. Some people are funny because they hear Stern's name mentioned and immediately they think negatively. Most of the time it is the people that haven't ever listened to more than five minutes of his show. "Buzz off...We don't even like Howard". Hmmm. Based on the continually growing number of subsribers and the success of his own privately owned television network, I would go out on a limb and say that he's pretty well liked. This lawsuit is between the movie companies and the Beeceuticals company. It has nothing to do with Howard.

Alana Joy

Idle lawsuits are the devils playground...

*click on my name to check out my fashion blog! xo

JustSayin

BOTH him and his wife are in lawsuits for ripping off other people's ideas. AND I BELIEVE IT! I'm not even in the cookbook biz, but I knew when his bee-snatch wife was on all the talk shows a couple weeks ago, I saw that stuff by some other lady before. NOW THIS!!

P.S. His wife was a rude snotbag to the the TV hosts I saw her with, i.e. Regis. Who on earth feels a need to be a snotbag to Regis?!?

DIANE T

TMZ seems to need a resident attorney on this site, - with all the lawsuits going on. Is Star Jones available?

Sharona

The game never changes......people that can not make money on their own try to take it away from the people that do know how to make money.....

whateveryousay

Hey, if his "sneaky" wife can steal from another's cookbook , he can follow along and steal too, hey it's only MONEY.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments