Oprah Faces Press in School Scandal

11/5/2007 10:37 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Oprah Winfrey just told the press that the recent abuse charges at her South Africa school has been "one of the most devastating, if not the most devastating experience, of my life."

The talk show queen just gave a live press conference, apologizing for the alleged sexual abuse at The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls, but O remained positive by saying, "No one can destroy the dream I have held, and each girl continues to hold, at the school."

A dorm matron at the Academy was suspended on October 17 and was later arrested on assault, indecent assault and soliciting under-age girls to perform indecent acts. The matron, Virginia Mokgobo, was released today on bail.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

koko

Well I have said it before and will again, just like the others before me, it's all about Oprah, whoa is me, unless she is #1, she can't handle it.
The thought behind the school was good, whether it had been her or some one else, but like others have said, with all the kids in this country in need of a good education, why not here were she could have had a better hands on hand experience. Her comment on that questions was, Why should I, they wouldn't use it or appreciate it.
So we'll just hand out cellphones to the needy, give me a break.
Far as I'm concern she just felt the need to have more recognition, is she going to have them come over here and live in one of her big mansions after they finish there schooling? What about all the others that need food, medicine, clothing in that country.

Barbara

#85 Yes, it was on the news clip that the girls call her Momma Oprah or Mother Oprah out of respect. I wonder if that is not what she dictated in her private Academy. Not school, but Academy. I guess that is a word with "class" - that thing you either have or don't and can't buy. If you pretend you have it, everyone still knows you don't "Lady O". What next? Queen of all Africa and America? Seems as though Africa is the new fad. Adopt children from there, go there, etc. The most ignored, abused people are the Native Americans (their politically correct name). They were treated rather badly to say the least. They were here, they were rounded up into encampments which appear to be illegal and "awful" for Japanese who were here during World War II, but it is OK for them to still be in the same situation. If you want to take a look at people who need and deserve help, you don't have to go far beyond the borders of this country. Maybe black American children would see through her pomposity (they are not stupid) and not fawn all over her and call her Mother Oprah. They would call her on her bull and she couldn't take that. Queen of all realms. Good lord.

Daddy wants some of the pie too.

Oprah should have been more careful. I, as well as my adult daughters thought that she would have to be extremely careful when we first heard about her plans for the school.
My dad got sued for 300,000 once because a plumber lost his life on one of my dad's apartment building sights althou the subcontractor was the one who violated the law by not having shoring for the trench being built but my dad had to pay because he was responsible because he was the "general contractor" and was responsible for everything on all his job sites. Same thing with Oprah. Sure it was a great thing she did but I don't side with these "Poor Oprah---so hard on her" fanatics. I side with the poor girls who got molested because they trusted Oprah. Get a clue---Oprah DID NOT get abused at that home--a lot of young girls under her care DID! With all the child abuse going on these days to open a school for girls and think that, because you're Oprah Winfrey, your school is impervious to it is simply STUPID and IRRESPONSIBLE. Oprah chose the people herself huh? Since when is she an expert on hiring staff for a children's home? Simply being a talk-show host doesn't make someone superior in everything!

Daddy wants some of the pie too.

SHE NEEDS TO BE CHARGED WITH CHILD ENDANGERMENT. IF IT WASN'T FOR HER SCHOOL THOSE GIRLS WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN MOLESTED. ANYONE WHO DIDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW STUPID SHE IS WHEN SHE FELL FOR THAT PHONY BOOK SHE PUSHED ON HER SHOW AS NON-FICTION SHOULD KNOW HOW STUPID SHE IS NOW! OPRAH FANS NEED TO WAKE UP. SHE'S NOT ALL THAT. SHE'S A BIG PHONY.
SHE BUILT THAT SCHOOL, NOT FOR THE GIRLS, BUT TO FEED HER EGO AND NOW, ITS BACKFIRED AND INSTEAD OF GETTING THE PRAISE SHE EXPECTED TO GET SHES GETTING WHATS DUE TO HER FOR USING CHILDREN TO FUEL HER PATHETIC AGENDA. "ME ME ME"

Daddy wants some of the pie too.

Oprah supposedly personally hired the woman who did those terrible things to the girls.
They should investigate Oprah and everyone she hired. Imagine if it was you or me who hired a pedo--do you think we'd get any slack? I agree with the others who say Oprah needs to be held accountable for this. She should never have put herself in the postion of hiring anyone for that school and left it to professionals. Probably hired other pervos too! Is Oprah that clueless?? The parents of those girls should file charges against her. If one of them were my girl Oprah would be spending more than 30 minutes crying and feeling sorry for herself!!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7