Dr. Adams Allegedly Lied About Credentials

11/13/2007 2:50 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has turned up yet another medical malpractice lawsuit against Dr. Jan Adams, and this one is eerie.

Bonita Hovey claims in December 2005, Dr. Adams and other doctors performed a tummy tuck on her and botched the job.

According to the suit, filed in Orange County Superior Court, Hovey claims Adams and the others "negligently failed to possess and exercise, in both diagnosis and treatment, that reasonable degree of knowledge and skill that is ordinarily possessed and exercised by other physicians and surgeons ..."

The suit claims the defendants "failed to give the plaintiff proper preoperative and postoperative follow up care ... " resulting in a "postoperative infection" that caused her to undergo two surgeries to remove sutures and revise her scar.

The suit claims Adams made a "false assertion that he was a board certified plastic surgeon" and she relied on that representation in choosing him.

KARASI

MY THING IS THIS WHY DO EVERYBODY WANT 2 SPEAK UP NOW ABOUT WUT HE HAS DONE 2 THEM WHY DIDN'T THEY SPEAK UP ABOUT HIM BEFORE???ESPECIALLY AFTER HE HAD BEEN ON THE OPRAH SHOW & YOU KNEW OF THIS MAN..YOU HAD BAD EXPERIENCE WITH HIM..I MEAN HER LIFE COULD HAVE BEEN SAVED NOW THEY TRYING 2 SAY THAT IT WASN'T SURGERY RELATED..OK THEN MY QUESTION IS THIS..IF SHE WOULDN'T HAVE HAD THAT SURGERY WOULD SHE HAVE PASSED AWAY ANYWAY WUTZ IT HER TIME?????? I GUESS NOW WE WILL NEVER KNOW NOW I JUST THINK THAT HOURS AFTER SHE HAD THIS SURGERY SHE PASSED AWAY, IT HAD 2 DO WITH COMPLICATION FROM THE SURGERY..THEN YOU HAVE ANOTHER PLASTIC SURGEON THAT REFUSE 2 DO THE SURGERY UNTIL SHE GOTTEN A MEDICAL CLEARANCE..SO MZ. WEST NEVER WENT BACK 2 THAT SURGEON, BECAUSE THE SURGEON SAID HER HEALTH PROBLEMS COULD CAUSE A HEART ATTACK..I KNOW ONE THING SE WILL BE GREATLY MISSED A BEAUTIFUL PERSON..MY PRAYERS GOES OUT 2 KANYE & HIS FAMILY @ THIS TRYING TIME ..

KARASI

HAVE ANOTHER PLASTIC SURGEON THAT REFUSE 2 DO THE SURGERY UNTIL SHE
GOTTEN A MEDICAL CLEARANCE..SO MZ. WEST NEVER WENT BACK 2 THAT
SURGEON, BECAUSE THE SURGEON SAID HER HEALTH PROBLEMS COULD CAUSE A
HEART ATTACK..I KNOW ONE THING SE WILL BE GREATLY MISSED A BEAUTIFUL
PERSON..MY PRAYERS GOES OUT 2 KANYE & HIS FAMILY @ THIS TRYING TIME

14america

I also had an experience like Bonita Hovey. After surgery performed by Dr. Jan Adams I ended up with an infection and a second minor procedure to to try to reduce the scar, the scar is still very obvious and ugly. I also did not end up the size I requested. I ended up with a lump of scarred tissue.

pipiwood68

My mom is Bonita Hovey & I can assure you that she would have never went to this Dr. had she known that he was not CERTIFIED & would have had the terrifiying results she had. I watched my mom be in pain! If you love your mom then you know how hard it is to watch her & know you can NOT help! As I am to understand there was in fact another woman that went to the media to tell her story and NOONE would listen. We all know good and well that this is not unusual. We hear or see nothing until it is a famous person at the center of it all.

I think that Dr.Adams is not well. If you look at his very now public history he has taken a turn for the worst in his personal life as well as profssional life. Shame on the other Dr.'s that have worked side by side with him. They saw him do wrong, they heard him say un professional things. How about their character??? They took an OATH TOO! Look his own Uncle won't practice with him by his side. THE MAN HAS ISSUES PEOPLE!!!!

The real tragedy is Dr. West's passing!! My mother and I have NOT lost site of that!

Kanye, my heart aches for you! When I heard the news I wept. I know that could have been my Mother. God blessed you with a loving family. I know you are not alone. Your Mom will be with you always and she will be on that stage singing her heartout right along with you. She is a strong woman and she gave you her strength and knowledge. You have every bit of her in you. I wish you well and I will continue to listen to your music.
Sissy

Buster

George BUSH hates plastic surgery.

katie

And to think, all of this could have been avoided...

totellthetruthiseverything

To all the women getting lipo'ed, suctioned, gastric bypasssed,

Forget about the nip & tuck...Just go out and buy some Spanx underwear (one size smaller than your regular size) and you'll be good to go !!!

DARK MEAT ONLY

Why is this information avaiable now, but no patient was aware of his professional status prior to their operation? None of this will help Kanye's mother.

Indifferent

No one probably asked to see proof of his credentials. It's so easy just to believe what your doctor tells you as truth. As far as people commented who think TMZ shouldn't engage in "character assassination" on Dr. Adams, they apparently didn't have to go far to find proof that this man was not qualified to perform the surgeries that he was doing, and the facts are apparently littered in publicly-accessible records. Deal with it!

omofmom

ENOUGH!
Isn't Britney awake yet?

Someone died people. This guy is a sleaze. Lets let this go until professionals can put it to trial.

MH

Anybody ever heard of a referral for Christ sake. If you are going to have someone slice open your body out of vanity to make your self look better, you should check out the person who is doing the slicing.

Jean

This man had a show on the Discovery Channel, been on CNN, NBC, The View and others....how is all of this coming out now?

Wow, TMZ already convicted this man.

ANNOYED

EVERY DOCTOR GETS SUED 1000000 TIMES. HOW MANY LAWSUITS FOR MALPRACTICE HAS HE LOST IS THE QUESTION

Charlene

The more serious awakening is that we as people need to be satisfied with what God has given us. We are always looking for a quick fix unstead of doing the obvious, stop eating and work out. We would much rather do it quickly and that is just not right. Be happy with what you have given by God and if you can't change it naturally just leave it alone. A friend of mine was taking diet pills to lose weight last week and has fallen into a coma. Enough people

LH

Doctors with professional ethics, professional skills, and busy calendars don't need to go on television. Television is for entertainment and you are a fool if you pick your doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants, etc. from your TV instead of reliable referrals.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments