GLAAD Unhappy with CAAN

11/15/2007 6:47 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

GLAAD and CAANAfter viewing TMZ's story about nepostar Scott Caan's anti-gay slur toward a paparazzo, GLAAD pumped out a statement chastising him.

"While Caan's anger at being harassed is understandable, responding with that kind of vulgar, anti-gay slur is simply unacceptable," said Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation President Neil G. Giuliano. "We've reached out to Caan's representatives and called on him to apologize for his defamatory, dehumanizing remark."

UPDATE: Scott Caan issued the following statement to TMZ: "I am sorry for using such a derogatory word. I was being harassed by a paparazzi, and unfortunately, the word slipped out. I don't ever condone the use of that word and I deeply apologize to anyone whom I may have offended."

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

hot_homo

You guys should go check out the GLAAD site. It has a tally list of all the "naughty" things, the jokes, the jabs that everyone has ever said about gay people. Im gay and Im but before that, I am a human being!! Where was GLAAD to intervine when I was growing up in a small town and getting my face and self esteem smashed in the dirt because I was homosexual and black. Oh wait! Im not white..sorry, my bad!! They are just as bad as Al Sharpton and the NAACP and all these "special" interest groups who whine about what they will never change. Go away!! Pick another battle.

Levin's gay!!?? Who knew!!?? Maybe we could send some TMZ cameras over to his pad and catch him getting an "adjustment" from that hot chiropractor boyfriend. That would be something to go on the classic TMZ video reel, huh Harvey??!!

R.Zimmerman

GLAAD, Al, Jesse, and all of the other assorted media bullies, blackmailers, and hucksters:
SHUT THE F**K UP. NO ONE CARES. NOT REALLY. JUST SHUT THE F**K UP AND GO AWAY ---PERHAPS TO FRANCE. DO IT NOW!!
Thanks

mary

Does GLADD not have anything better to do then go after every person that makes one bad comment. Homophobia is never going to go away no matter how much they bitch and moan about it...

Glee (I'm baaaaack)

Pam the highest disparity in pay occurs with College Professors. You are showing your ignorance again - perhaps I suggest you go back to school and learn it first hand. But I doubt you really are a woman.

Glee (I'm baaaaack)

Does anyone else see the irony that first 'arrow' gay people sling is "come out of the closet?" how funny that they insult themselves - because if one actually were gay it shouldn't be a big deal to them but nooo they uses it as an insult. LOL!

mary

This is so messed up. Grow up people!! We are in America where we should have free speech - this means EVERYONE. You can say whatever you want, good or bad as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's rights. (As far as I know a word cannot hurt you!! Remember kindergarten?) This guy (I don't even know why he's on here) said something - get over it! The world is cruel, that's just how it is. The only thing we can do is try to raise our kids to ignore that stuff and not say it. That's the price of freedom and I'll defend it til I die. People need to grow up and stop being insulted at every little thing anybody with half-a-brain says. I'm offended that you're offended.

LuvTMZ

Mary,

Are you saying the same thing to all the other rights activist's or are you just a homophobe?

de de

GLAAD is the gay mafia. Every script that has a gay character or or anything said about gay people has to br approved by GLAAD. these wimps in hollywood are afraid of them.

glaadispointless

I am proudly gay, and concerned about anti-gay sentiment, but c'mon GLAAD needs to grow the f**k up. It is amazing to me the amount of energy and money that GLAAD uses to follow celebrities around and call them out on minor blunders that can occur to anyone. Why don't they focus on getting marriage rights or haye crimes legislation, not being glorifed tattle-tales.

Comming from a gay man

I’m a gay man and I call F**A**G**G**O**T**S all the time. There’s a difference between a perverted sexual predator “F**A**G**G**O**T**S” and a Gay Man with morals and standards. Personally I hate all F**A**G**G**O**T**S. They act like one they should be labeled accordingly.

Comming from a gay man

GLAAD you're such a F**A**G**G**O**T ... GET A LIFE!!!

Rob

What good is an apology when GLAAD contacted hm and demanded it ? If Caan doesn't ever condone the use of that word, he probably wouldn't have said it...words that we never use rarely just "slip out".

But we can't start trying to control what people say. When did we all get so sensitive? What did our parents used to say when we complained "He called me a name"? Just ignore him.

Deron

It's true, many gay people don't agree with everything Glaad does, just like some black people may not agree with the NAACP or not all liberals may agree completely with the ACLU. I'm gay and there is no real method of polling all of us to see if we are offended and if Glaad should act on it. As a matter of fact, I think some of their work can be good, but it is overshadowd by stupid "demands" like this one. Make no mistake the word can be very harmful, but until idiots stop saying the "n" word, the"f"word is definitely gonna be around. If we're saying these or using them in a public way, as some sort of example, then that's a problem. If you're not, then really......like it or not.....it's your business and you can obviously say what you want.

We should all just be more respectful on both sides, whether someone is saying something toward us or we are saying it about others. Just respect each other, no matter what......

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6