Dennis Quaid's Newborn Twins in Medical Nightmare

11/20/2007 6:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that Dennis Quaid's newborn twins are fighting for their lives after being inadvertently overdosed at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

Sources tell us the twins -- Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace -- were accidentally given a massive dose of Heparin, an anti-coagulant. Babies typically get 10 units. Our sources say they were each mistakenly given 10,000 units. The drug is used to flush out IV lines and prevent blood clots. We're told one dose was given on Sunday morning, another on Sunday evening.

We're told late Sunday night, both babies started to "bleed out." Both babies are now at Cedars in the neo-natal intensive care unit where we're told they are stable.

The twins were born to Quaid and wife Kimberly Buffington November 8 via surrogate.

A rep for Quaid did not immediately return our call for comment and there was no immediate comment from Cedars.

We're told a technician stored the Heparin in the wrong place, and when a nurse grabbed the medicine for the babies without looking -- it was the wrong dosage.

A source says the babies are now being given Protamine, which reverses the effects of Heparin.

UPDATE: We're told as many as thirteen patients at Cedars were mistakenly given the overdose of Heparin, but the effects are more critical because of the age and weight of the twins.

Story developing ...

LAME

According to the recently released report it was just a little bump - they'll be o.k.

marlene leonard

Every nurse knows that the Golden Rule of drug administration has the 3 R's Right drug, Right dose, Right route, Read the label 3 times...when you take it off the shelf, when you pour the drug, and when you put it back. This Never would have happened if this was done, it doesn't matter how closely the doses looked, she should have looked harder. Bet she graduated in the last 10 years.

ggtime

Very sad. Will pray for them

Very stupid and preventable mistake from the nurse. However, let's not start bashing ALL nurses and hospital personnel for that matter. I'm sure no one would say this to them when they need them.

Lastly, it's really sad in this country when we hear terrible news like this, the first and/or only thing some ppl post is "lawsuit". Everyone is only about the money. Let's concentrate on human life before wanting to see the big bucks. I don't see how we've become soooo materialistic to the point where that is all we think about! Rightfully a lawsuit could be filed, but C'MON!

sandy

It's appalling to me that the nurse didn't check the dosage. That seems like such an easy, basic protocol to follow. I checked my math by, at most, 5th grade....but Nurses aren't checking the dosages of meds they're giving? That's beyond negligent. That person should lose his/her job and not be allowed to practice. Checking, checking, and re-checking has to be the name of the game in medicine...otherwise, it's bound to end up in tragedy.

Kathleen Judy

Dear Dennis and Mrs.Quaid ,I don't care if you are famous but my heart goes put p you and your family I cant imagine what you are going through. I worked in the ICU and PICU and it kills me on cover ups I have seen and complied about. I was also a firefigher for 8 years I am female and have a daughter myself. Truly I would right you if you wernt famous I dont write people. I have worked in themedical field for years and this isn't right. I have seen mistake and people are sloppy. I have said prayer for you guys and my daughter and I she is 14 light candles for you. I truly hav never felt so storng about the wrong that has happened to you. Again my prayer are with you and you lovely wife. I truly believe those seem to be srtong beatulful kid and they will come thfrough. I live in Santa Barbara and we do have a excellcent NICU. Ypur twins will survive and be so strong fomr this. My love to you guys .KJ from Santa Barbara

Kathleen Judy

My heart goes out to Dennis and Kimberly I worked in the PICU and ICu in a hospital I have seen mistkes and it has killed me they are sloppy nurses out there. whenver you see 10,000 units get a clue I was a firefighter for 8 year and new differenent drugs . I am so sorry for them. If that was my dugheter I would just be devasted. Truly my prayers go out to you and I dont care if you are famous I am 43 I dont write to stars but you arent to me you are to loving parents for your sweet baby twins. I go to church on Saturday and will light a candle for the 4 of you. my prayers are wit you. Kathy fro Santa barbara

aniamalover

race has nothin to do with this ! or the fact that she cheated on her husband! what it have to do with is the fact two nurse gave the wrong doses to these little babies from heaven thy r little mircles given to us to take care of to love and charish and to protect.the nurses should be fired along with the tech.
i dont care if you r poor or rich .you should sue the hospitial for every penny thy have and for god sakes please get more nurses to work.some nurses and doctors and tech people work 16 hrs per day 5 days a week no wonder mistakes happen i for one will pray to god that all 13 people survive this alfull forsaken mistake doesnt have any side affects on any of them.

Kathleen Judy

Dont make excuses to these nurses a baby shouldn't receive 10,00 anthing GET a clue they are sloppy I was a freifighter for 8 years and worked in the ICU and this needs to be addressed you read the label , check the orde and double check. My heart goes out to this family famous or not this is WRONG dont make excuse for this.

Kathleen Judy

Whover posted 407 quit making excuse this was NICU children get a cllue if you are over worked DONT WORK IN THIS PROFESSION and dont make excuse be accountable!!

Karen

Lets get those nurses!!! string them up--oh wait--I'm a RN--oh how the public turns on nurses with their own "horror" stories. its really sad--but then you will want us there to take care of your elderly parents they are unable to manage. Listen, I work with adults with mulitple VAD lines(venous access devices). One short term line uses the lower heparin flush(to maintain patency) --the long term one where patients go home with--uses the higher heparin amt. We have both on our floor--but its all adults--it seems to me that in children/baby areas some changes in how they store the two heparin flushes should be made--to prevent accidentally grabbing the wrong one. you do try with all your might not to make a error--but so much is going on when working --

anonymous

This family has my thoughts and prayers and when I say why does it take a celeb to bring "all" of these tragedies out in the public,I think these sort of things should be told when it happens to anyone as it should,anyone ?? God bless all families who have lost loved ones due to negligence.

elizabeth

well - i hope they have their LAWYERS lining up in front of the hospital steps in hopes of terminating that IDIOT Technician who 'accidently' put the medicine in the wrong place. EVERY EVERY EVERY single time a nurse comes into your room, if you are in the hospital, ASK her to check her dosage and the med she is giving you. double check. triple check, evidently that is something that doesn't happen with 'ms. techy' and nurse HACKETT at Cedars......oh, i PRAY by now, that BOTH these brain dead wanna be 'nurses' are a million miles away from ANY hospital and are getting grease all over their new shirts because they are NOW flipping burgers!!
DUMB BROADS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~how can they sleep at night. i hope they don't. and.........don't come at me, ANYONE, and tell me that they are human and people make mistakes. 10 is a LONG LONG LONG way from 10,000. and if the manufacturer is NOT brilliant enough to have a visible, labeling system to tell those two dramatic drugs apart....then you'd better be damn well sure that the hospital had better devise one!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
are these people just lazy and dumb?
oh, when will this stop? the dumbing DOWN of America?

Mimi

This should be a wake up note for all concerned citizen's in this regarding the state of emergency that exists in the medical field due to hte shortage of nurses in this country. As the shortage exacerbates and the working conditions degenerates more nurses will be lost. There are thousands of RN's like myself who choose not to work because of the dangerous working environment created by the shortages. If anyone out there thinks that a government controlled healthcare program will fix the medical care problem in this country then you obviously are not a member of that community. The problem in this country begins with the Giant Insurance Companies and their lobbyist. However in my opinion the most pervasive and deadly environment that is going to continue the degradation in this country is the attitude of Isolationism, Materialism and "It's all about Me and Mine" that prevails. Professional Athletes, Movie Stars and CEO's get paid criminal amounts of money, while as a Registered Nurse I get paid @24 per hour and am typically assigned more patients than it is safe to care for which creates an atmosphere for errors. Not stating an excuse, simply a fact. Too bad that all of the Megabucks earned by all of the Professional Athletes, Movie Stars ,CEOS etc can't take a leaf out of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's agenda and aim their energies toward helping their fellow Americans and the professions and professionals who chose to help other people, not just feed an unsatiable ego and amass gluttony. A warning for all Americans do not leave any family member in the hospital unattended by another family member and ask questions. Hospitals are understaffed, overworked and underpaid for their services by the Insurance Moguls who are interested in the bottom line not your welfare. Lastly, it is not up to the Federal Government to take care of our basic needs, that is up to us as caring individuals to help each other. Concrete block churches are sufficient for worship, the millions spent on lavish surroundings could help eliminate the homeless and Oprah Winfrey's sponsors supply her audience with her Favorite things, not herself. Soapbox carping over. A non working RN by choice.

looie

my heart goes out to the private Quaids. No one should have to bear this kind of weight.

Welcome to the corporate world of health care as the ugly head of capitalism rises.

Looie

toiki

WTF I am astounded by this mistake!! GET IT Together you hospital personal whom we trust with ours and our families lives!!

Previous 15 Comments | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments