Dennis Quaid's Newborn Twins in Medical Nightmare

11/20/2007 6:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that Dennis Quaid's newborn twins are fighting for their lives after being inadvertently overdosed at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

Sources tell us the twins -- Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace -- were accidentally given a massive dose of Heparin, an anti-coagulant. Babies typically get 10 units. Our sources say they were each mistakenly given 10,000 units. The drug is used to flush out IV lines and prevent blood clots. We're told one dose was given on Sunday morning, another on Sunday evening.

We're told late Sunday night, both babies started to "bleed out." Both babies are now at Cedars in the neo-natal intensive care unit where we're told they are stable.

The twins were born to Quaid and wife Kimberly Buffington November 8 via surrogate.

A rep for Quaid did not immediately return our call for comment and there was no immediate comment from Cedars.

We're told a technician stored the Heparin in the wrong place, and when a nurse grabbed the medicine for the babies without looking -- it was the wrong dosage.

A source says the babies are now being given Protamine, which reverses the effects of Heparin.

UPDATE: We're told as many as thirteen patients at Cedars were mistakenly given the overdose of Heparin, but the effects are more critical because of the age and weight of the twins.

Story developing ...

CT

Oh, no... I am a big fan of Dennis Quaids... I really feel bad for him and his wife. This is a horrible thing to happen, and all because of negligence. His family is in my thoughts.

JarJarBinksIAmNOT

WOW! One of the "best" hospitals in our country has that many f-ups. Dennis Quaid is wealthy, but he and his wife should still sue the hospital for such a mistake. What type of nurse does not LOOK at what they are giving a patient? I'll tell you what type ... the type who are on drugs or are drunk.

I hope those babies will recover and be healthy the remainder of their lives, but that hospital should be forced to pay for their mistakes, and surely should not send the Quaids a bill.

Babylove

I do not understand ~Why can't the Nurse's use a UPC type method! Scan medicine to patients chart~that seems to be something that would cut down on mistakes! I believe when my son was at Stanford Hospital~that was the way they kept track of medicines and dosages! Such an important issue. We trust in our Nurses too much. Being the mother of a son with a TBI(he does not talk or understand) from a motorcycle accident 3 years ago~I have learned to ASK and OBSERVE the nursing staff VERY CLOSELY!!!!

dobban

Unfortunately this can happen anywhere, anytime. The first thing that I was taught in nursing school about giving medicine is ALWAYS check the patient name, drug and dosage 3 times. It doesn't take as long as you might think, but it does make you stop and analyze the situation closely. I presume that these babies were in the nursery when this happened and I can't imagine why adult dosage Heparin would be anywhere near a nursery medicine room. Stay with your loved one in the hospital, even alert adults. Question everything: medications, treatments, tests, potential side effects. You may annoy the staff but they WILL be more cautious with your loved one.

gootch

Stupid nurses. I realize they're overworked but this is very serious! BTW: I had a blood clot in '94 & was given Heparin in the IV along with crummy meds.
And WHY is this about race again??? I hope things are resolved. I thought Cedar's was a decent Hospital...Scary.

Tangie

hora--I've seen some of your comments. You're no more a professional social worker than these worthless nurses.

Kim , RN

Nurses make mistakes too! Exactly the reason to be extra, extra cautious when working with preemies. Hard to believe the nurse didn't catch it , with all the precautions in place to NOT make medication mistakes. My prayers go out for the babies and the families, as well as the nurse who will have to live (probably without her/his job) with this mistake for the rest of her/his life! This incident will pop up in my mind everytime I go to draw up a medication for my patients!

Jus D truth

My daughter, a legal secretary has worked for one of the largest 'Medical Defense' firms in the country- in their SoCal branch. And do you know who there Biggest/largest client was..is???? Kaiser,!!! next was a number of local hospitals then doctors. She was horrified by all the mistakes made in some of 'the best hospitals' & how blantant the mistakes are covered up, and files & charts are changed. She seen first hand how people are maimed & die & children unable to live a normal life. Thats why doctors pay high...very high insurance premium's...to shut up the patiences who they screw up on!!!

VS

To the person who keeps saying karma is what it is. Get the facts. Do a search.
Meg Ryan cheated on him with Russel Crowe! Get it! He did not cheat on Meg!

And what does that have to do with two innocent children? You are not human! I don't
know what you are. But, you are not right. Get the facts first! Again, this is not about
race. Leave it out. Focus on the facts.

Again prayers to the Quaid family!

delyn

Leave it to freaking fricking society these days. Nothing Is Safe No matter Where you are What you are doing. I am very sorry for such carelessness nonesence.Holiday season does not help matters. Take what you got in stride for remder 07. Best luck for/to kiddos momma & dadda rest their family. Sincerely Delyn

death on a cracker

I totally feel your pain Mr. Quaid.
The same exact thing happened to me last week. I took my car in for an oil change and instead of the mechanic using 5W30 oil, he replaced it with 10W40....

I dont think it will ever run the same again :( :(

pray for me Mr. Quaid and ill do the same for you... but only if you pray for me too. we need to stick together.

Gina

God bless these poor babies. Hospitals make more and more mistakes that cost lives.

Dreolin

OMG! I worked as a Veterinary Tech and I know in the medical fields (human and animal) mistakes can be terrifyingly easy to make, but anyone who has used heparin more than once should have been able to tell at a glance that the amount was WAY too much, I mean that is a huge difference! That's why you need to double and triple check your dosages! The only other thing I can think is maybe if they were using it to flush an IV that they had a heparin/saline solution and not pure heparin...? It's horrible that it happened...

Babylove

My prayers go out to Dennis and his family! ;-)

Mickey

WOWzers whatta mistake on the nurses part. Hope she is fired!! Pray for those little babies. The Quaids must be devestated.