Cedars Was Warned Months Ago About Heparin Dangers

11/22/2007 1:59 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that the FDA issued an alert last February -- warning of the dangers of mistaking the low and high dose vials of heparin.

In the safety alert dated February 6, 2007, the FDA and Baxter Healthcare Corporation, one of the pharmaceutical companies that manufacture heparin, warned of the dangers of switching 10 and 10,000 unit vials of the drug. The alert was issued after three infants died in Indiana after they were mistakenly given adult doses. The memo tells hospitals to double-check their inventory to make sure errors in dispensing do not occur. We're told a memo with this information was also circulated around that time at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Despite the memo, the dispensing mistake happened last Sunday and Dennis Quaid's twins and several other patients were accidentally overdosed.

The California Department of Public Health says they are investigating the incident.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Brit

Dont take the pills.

K

Alright, sick of this story already. We need Britney stories!

I laugh at other's misfortunes

People who post first and yell FIRST should DIE!!

magickat

Those poor little babies!

K

I WANT TO HAVE MAD CRAZY SEX WITH FLY ON THE WALL.

Just Wondering

OK Harvey,

I'm fed up with this story !!! Can you post about something more interesting Please??

windy

question all drs.

windy

watch out for da brown acid.

Connie

I'm not even in the medical field, but I knew the dangers. I've read of this mistake happening before. Although, it should be common sense to double check any and all medications.

windy

who is looking out for the children?

Peggy

I think this is tragic, but hopefully will have a happy ending for the twins. Hospital employee mistakes cost lives each day. Thankfully, the percentage of mistakes is low.

Connie

Why not make the newborn/infant dose with a pink and blue label or even a stork graphic --that would be obvious to most or all.

just wondering

..I can't post abt this story anymore, all been said. Happy Thanksgiving to all in the States, be safe!!!!!!....we have 8 inches of snow on the way here in Toronto...a special Happy Thanksgiving to the people I yack with and they know who they r, especially Fly and OCD who I don't see much of lately.

Just Wondering

To poster # 8 L:

You are a hate mongering right wing turd like Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and Anne Coulter!!!!!

too sad

cedars is to blame.
there is NO excuse to overdose in such a manner.

all doctors and nurses should double and tripple check the medicine they are giving out,
check the bottles and read what they say!!!!!!!!!!
no excuse!!!!!!

READ, AND WEAR GLASSES IF NEEDED..............

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments