Most Awkward Question Ever To Gayheart

12/12/2007 4:59 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Not a great idea to tell someone who caused a fatal accident to drive safely. Well maybe it is a good idea, but not if you're a photog trying to engage a celebrity.

So imagine the moment when a pap told Rebecca Gayheart yesterday to "drive safely." Remember, back in 2001, Gayheart was driving when she struck and killed a nine year old boy. She was prosecuted for vehicular manslaughter and pleaded no contest. She was placed on three years probation and settled a wrongful-death lawsuit out of court.

Watch the video and squirm.

pimp

in my book, if you killed someone and for some reason you are still walking free around time....it is everyone's duty to remind you what you did.

Connie

I'm sure the child would have preferred an awkward moment to DEAD. Poor her, NOT....shouldn't even be driving or breathing, for that matter.

HCat

Y'all are so mean! This woman has to live with the fact that she made a mistake and took someone's life every single day. She has paid her dues, monetary or other, and she is trying to live her life once more. I have read through these comments and not one of you has the right to pass judgement on this woman. You are not God. How many of you have driven while talking on your cell phones? How many of you have taken a corner too fast? I'm sure most of you have. What if a child was jaywalking in the street when you took a corner too fast? The same thing would have happened to you. You could be in her same shoes. So before you smart off in a comment on some website, think of what you're saying so you don't sound like a bunch of ignorant, judgemental, and cruel people.

d to the izzle

And she still drives around in a big old honkin' SUV which is more dangerous to others on the road. Hey Gayheart -- GET A SMART CAR!!!!!!

Rhonda Q.

It was a FREAKING ACCIDENT, you morons. And, not to say the kid caused his own death, but he WAS jaywalking....I am sure that not a day goes by that she is not reminded of the tradgedy.

MGS

I'm sorry, but I don't pass stopped cars using a turning lane to go around them. This is more than just a simple mistake. THERE WAS A REASON THEY WERE STOPPED!

Jack Schitt

To all the crap about Jaywalking. A pedestrian has the LEGAL rightaway no matter where they are on the street. She was at fault. I agree with #18.

Kitty

#25 is absolutely correct - while jaywalking is a ticketable offense it does not preclude the fact that a pedestrian always has the right of way.

The bottom line is that she swerved around stopped traffic because she was too busy jabbering on her cell phone to pay attention and it cost a 9-year-old boy his life. If Rebecca Gayheart is any kind of human at all she will carry the guilt of this act with her for the rest of her life. But for anyone on this site or elsewhere to try to place the blame for this horrific accident on the victim is reprehensible.

VICTORIA

REBECCA AND I GO WAY BACK-MANY YEARS. I AM A RECOVERING ADDICT-AND HAPPEN TO HAVE BEEN WITH HER THE NIGHT SHE KILLED THAT BOY. (NOT IN THE CAR, BUT WAS WAITING AT THE HOUSE FOR HER) SHE WAS HIGH ON CRACK COCAINE, AND ON HER WAY TO HER DEALER'S HOUSE WHEN THIS HAPPENED. SHE HAD ALSO BEEN DRINKING CONSTANTLY FOR THE 2 DAYS BEFORE THAT. SHE WILL REMEMBER ME-HAVEN'T TALKED TO HER IN ABOUT 5 OR 6 YEARS. SHE KNOWS THAT I KNOW..... VICTORIA

ebw

LOL @ #28.

mommyof4

#25 no they dont. My grandmother was jaywalking to catch the mailman. Was hit and went into the drivers windshield. Who was at fault. My grandmother. She was sited.

roughdaddy

i didnt squirm!!!! maybe her driving skills has improve,,,she wouldve blame this on the paps if it was a today event!!!!

CoolGirl2008

Hopefully, it will soon be illegal for news photographers to engage celebrities.

Shootingstar

It seems perverse to see her smiling on the red carpet because everytime I see her the first thing I think about is the child she killed.

Ha Ha Ha

It was an accident. The kid was jaywalking. Poor Rebecca. There should not have been any charges filed against her.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments