It Takes "Different Strokes" to Sue the World

1/2/2008 5:56 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

An old-school bluesman is bringing the legal whammy bar down on Michael Jackson, Will Smith, and even Tupac Shakur, claiming they all stole his song "Different Strokes" without paying proper tribute -- or loot. The world, it seems, does move to the beat of just one drum.
Read the lawsuit!
Syl Johnson (real name, Sylvester Thompson), who played with Junior Wells and Howlin' Wolf, among others, alleges in the copyright infringement suit that Jacko's "Blood on the Dance Floor," Smith's "Who Stole the D.J.," and Tupac's "Peep Game" all borrowed from his 1967 hit "Different Strokes," -- not the TV theme song you're probably thinking about. Syl's claiming that he hasn't seen one red cent from any of them. What you talkin' about Willis?!

Johnson is seeking unspecified damages. Smith's rep tells TMZ they don't comment on pending litigation, while reps for Jacko, and Tupac's estate, didn't return messages seeking comment.

RedFox

Thanks for the good post very interesting

RedFox

Thanks for the good post very interesting

sammy

First.....booooooooooooyaaahhh!!!!!!!!!!

stud

ok tmz..you have some blacks up.....let the racist banter that you guys seem to encourage begin.... its a shame that this site is run by a jewish person who would seem to try to steer this garbage back towards entertainment, as opposed to bigot bloggers....the kkk hate jews as well as everyone else harvey wienberg or wienstien or whatever.....i think the 6 million would not approve of what you are building here....this media mis use can be dangerous....remember joseph goelbles and what he did....he could work and fit right in at tmz....do the right thing....dont give racists a voice

Mel

RANDOM!!!

roughdaddy

why now? tupac's gone, micheal is shun, krs one dont have any money!!! damn tupac needs a new album!!

Stick

I just listened to all those worthless songs and found no similarities.

White America

don hear my voice

ahem...

ahem...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

White America

Damn Don you just got owned by a racist (White America) on Jewish race stereotyping!!!! LOL

J

The raidical neoliberalists suing each other for no reason the neoliberals love those paydays & handouts.

DvonDman

I hope they don't plan getting any money from Cracko Jacko.

.....

Back in 1982, i lost my favorite pen. After searching for hours, i stumbled on it, literally. When this happened I exclaimed, "Whoop! There it is!" Am I entitled to any royalties?

Stick

My grandfather died in a concentration camp....

Fell out the guard tower. Poor bastard.

jackschitt

#5 Don, why is it you black folks always have to make it a black/racist issue? It's people like you that perpetuate racism and segregation. You don't see the white folks with a white prom or white music awards do you? Lord have mercy if I was to say I was proud to be white-because someone like you would say I was racist.

#15 is an *sshole

#15 I'm not surprised to see that Nazi *ssholes never let us down. You are such a disgrace to humanity. I 'm not Jewish but I'm human and you are disgusting for that comment.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments