K-Fed's Lawyer Headed to Court

1/4/2008 12:31 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned K-Fed's lawyer, Mark Vincent Kaplan, will scurry to court this morning at 8:30 AM and ask the Commissioner to strip Brit of her visitation rights -- at least for now. We're told there may not be much of an argument and it's almost certain the Commish will see Kaplan's point. Attorney Tara Scott from the law firm of Trope and Trope will represent Brit -- awkward, since the firm has asked to withdraw as counsel.

As we reported, Britney is at Cedars-Sinai on a "5150 hold," meaning there's evidence she's a danger to herself or others -- others as in her kids.

Here's what's interesting. We've been reporting for several months now that Britney doesn't have a drug or alcohol problem -- that her instability is mental, not chemical. Well placed sources tell us what happened last night is not rooted in drugs, and that of late, her mental state has deteriorated to the point that what happened at her home was not unexpected.

Stay tuned
...

amom

I also think either bipolar disorder or postpartum psycosis she doesnt look drugged out she looks crazy i hope she gets help

SAD

I think this is awful..She needs help..I pray she will get it..She loves her kids, but is mentally mixed up. She needs support... not criticism over and over.

As far a k-fed..get real!!..He doesn't take care of his other children.. Brit has the money and he only wants the support...he's broke and everybody knows it. He parties too..anybody think about drug testing or monitoring his parenting skills...

Tangie

Nessa--I agree completely. Nobody is saying it, but I think she is gonna take those boys out with her. She would do that before she lets him win.

Bird

******************************************************

You have got to be kidding me. I read this site everyday several times a day and I have never read something stating that Brit doesn't have a substance abuse problem. The fact that you kept reporting on it had me asking repeatedly what drug she was abusing.

TMZ typically reports on sleazy stories, but I thought you were at least honest. With this and the Will Smith stories I'm wondering if I should take you even a little seriously. You're looking like Media Takeout right now. OK not that bad, but damn near.

sarah

i pray to god that them kids are saved from the clutches of britney. she has never been a proper mother to them. she does not deserve to have children, all she thinks about is her career (whats left of it) . them kids have either been with their father or their nanny. maybe this is another attention seeking plan to get into the news for the hundreth time beings she is out of the limelight and jamie lynn has stolen her thunder. i wish she would just crawl away under a rock somewhere

Krystal

Ugh, have you ever suffered from post partum depression? You sound like Tom Cruise. Not really trying to defend Bit, per say, but experts will tell you that people suffereing from any form of depression tend to self-medicate, so she just might have other stuff in her system, but hopefully now she'll get the help she needs and we don't have to see her anymore on TMZ!

spartan933

Brit's counsel, Tara Scott, is fine as hell.

just a thought

just because she may be suffering from mental/emotional conditions does not mean that she isn't a substance abuser too. You don't need to hide from urine tests if you are bipolar. She seems to have done that enough in the past. I actually hope she is bipolar as it is easily treated IF the individual will be responsible enough to stay with the treatment plan. Those poor children have seen way too much.

kingwilson

Well, they should obviously know what's up with her now. Being took to the hospital I'm sure every test imaginable was done. If she's on drugs, they'll know. If not, then it'll be obvious it's a mental problem.

Lets just be thankful that her children weren't harmed and go from there. She won't have much choice but to get help now.

Kate

Has anyone found out the status of the court-appointed monitor in all this? Was the monitor present during the 'stand-off'? Has the monitor been filing reports since her last known report to the court? Was the monitor and/or court aware that her mental state had deteriorated to this extent?

The thing I find unsettling is that people may have been aware that this type of situation could happen and did nothing to prevent it. Ask Andrea Yates husband.... it doesn't take long to drown toddlers in a tub. Or throw them off a balcony or smother them with a pillow, etc. etc.

Perhaps Ms. Spears "rights" should have come after the rights of her children. Had one of them been seriously harmed (what is the status of the youngest child who went to the hospital anyway) and others knew it was likely to happen ("well placed sources tell us (,,,) her mental state has deteriorated to the point that what happened at her home was not unexpected" ), who's going to be held to account?

debv

She needs treatment, please, please court ordered treatment. Take those kids away from her for now!!! As a former addict who spent time in rehab, it was the best thing I did for myself and my children. I hope to God that she goes into rehab, a real rehab and learns from it this time!! I have been clean and sober for 17 1/2 years....the best years of my life and my childrens lives!! Please Brit, go to rehab!!!!!!!!

geezlouise

If someone doesn't step in and take charge - I mean really take charge of her and get her help (extended help that takes months) we will be reading her obituary by the end of the year. A visit from mom and pregnant sis that lasts a week doesn't count as help, either.

Angela

This stupid BITCH is doing just what it takes to lose her kids to that money hungry idiot.

GG

To those of you who ask where Brit's family is - hell they are all down Louisianaway getting ready for Jamie Lynn's shotgun wedding. I am surprised her Dad was able to make it to CA - he must have already been fitted for his polyester powder blue Tux. Yeeeeeeee HAW!

youngmiss

thanks for stating the truth for once tmz..it's a first... yes brit has mental problems..she lost her kids..that would drive any mom crazy duh!