Psychiatrists Slam Phil, Cedars

1/6/2008 8:25 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Eight psychiatrists tell TMZ they are shocked Cedars Sinai Medical Center let Dr. Phil go up to Britney Spears' room without her prior knowledge or consent.
Dr. Phil, Britney Spears
The shrinks had various things to say about Dr. Phil's visit to Brit's room, but the theme was unified -- that the hospital should not allow any doctor who does not have in-patient privileges into a patient's room, unless that patient has given prior consent. TMZ has learned Britney had no idea Dr. Phil was coming to her room and indeed when he walked in she became agitated and walked out. She eventually came back in and he pretty much did all the talking for around 15 minutes.

One psychiatrist called it "intrusive and inappropriate." Another shrink told us the hospital "is supposed to be a safe place. If the patient doesn't want to see someone, that person doesn't get in -- period."

Another shrink, who said he was "outraged and disgusted," added, "It is incredible that the hospital allowed Dr. Phil in her room. It's a total violation of her rights."

One doc surmised bluntly the hospital was "star struck" and let the TV doctor's profile override its judgment.

We're told early yesterday the show wanted to book Brit for a TV intervention that is being taped on Monday. We're told she wants nothing to do with it, and the show will not have her on. We're also told Brit's parents, who wanted Dr. Phil to visit Britney, had agreed at least initially to be on the program.

One shrink said splashing a private medical matter on TV and saying it's an intervention -- especially without the proper medical diagnosis -- is no way to run a railroad.

Sue

She needs help and everyone keeps saying so and complaining that her family isn't doing enough to help her; but, when her family asks Dr. Phil just to talk to her, everyone complains he was out of line. I see no harm in him going to talk to her. All she has to do is say no and that's the end of it. At least someone is trying to help her. ...and it was at the family's request. He wasn't doing it for rating or for spotlight. He wants to help.

John

Dr Phil has more skeletons in his closet than the anthropology department at Yale. Another CelebuFraud that can thank Ophrah for giving him a boost.

fringe dweller

If Dr. Phil really was a fine psychologist (or whatever he says he is), he'd be in private practice, not prostituting himself on TV. The media exposure he gets should tell you that Dr. Phil's in love with his celebrity more than anything -- and the fact that he's giving all kinds of in-depth advice on TV that others may blindly follow equates to dispensing medical advice to the general public.

Brit needs to be kept away from all the celebrity goo-ga and find her head. The only thing she seems to be doing these days is looking for ways to be noticed, and her attention-seeking behaviors and poor judgment need to be addressed.

Her mom is no better -- on TV, telling us how worried she is, or releasing press about how worried she is. If she's really worried, she's going to take a hiatus from the public view and focus on caring for her kids -- which I'm not really sure she knows how to do, anyway. Mommy'd better get a move on, too -- the money's going to dry up, even from tabloid news, eventually...

cherrie

Acc ording to Dr. Phil, he was asked to visit Britney by Britneys mother. Her mother is a close friend with his wife Robin. All he wants to do I am sure is perhaps help Britney to get better. And, I am sure with his knowledge and caring spirit, he would be able to do this. Dr. Phil, your wonderful

Spartacus

Dr. Phil is a quack, and as for brittney.....She will end up like Marilyn Monroe

coloradoron

Actually, Dr. Phil was there at the request of Britney's Mother, who called Dr. Phil over a year ago and has been keeping an ongoing dialogue with him ever since. But, whatever.........

teddykay12

It WAS wrong for Dr. Phil to go into Britney's hospital room ((or any other persons)) without their consent. But, I think the whole thing needs to be brought back to the MOST important issue....She needs help. Period. She needs mental, physical, & ,most of all, SPIRITUAL healing. I do understand that she's "famous" & that people want to know what's going on with her, but good grief, let the poor woman ALONE!!!! Give her some time to heal. She really needs people to PRAY that she recovers from ALL of her personal demons. She DOES have children & they WILL have to grow up hearing SO many awful things about their mom, that it's heartbreaking. None of us, as human beings, should want another person, much LESS little children, having to go through so much. Please, ALL of us, should stop & PRAY for this lady, & the ENTIRE world, to recover from ALL that we are going through!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

di31957

I find it hard to believe that NO ONE involved with Britney knew Dr Phil was stopping by the hospital. One article says she was already discharged, and if that is the case, she is no longer protected under privacy laws as a patient. Somebody needs to INTERVENE before it is too late. This story is now very tragic with a real concern for Brtiney's well being and her ability to straighten out her life.

Joyce

I for one am tired of Britany. You know there are so many under paid people to include my daughter with drug and alcohol addiction and no one gives or ever tried to help me find help for her. It was just throw her in prison, let her out with no medication or therapy which sends her right back to the same old cronies. I at one point when she was a teen went the to proscutors office and told them if they did not make a believer out of her she was never going to get straight. There are too many people (evil) that are getting rich off people like my daughter Penny. She is a good, loving person but she is not strong and when she gets down, depressed and one of her so called friends tell her one time wont hurt she is right back where she started. I know she is the only one who can do it. But try to get help, a job or a mentor for a unemployeed 40 year old woman and you are laughed at. I was a good mother, I never enabled her and made her responsible for her actions, yet some of the (free) Charter Vista type places try and blame parents and I refuse to fall into that trap. I was there for a long time. But I went to this group meeting when she was 14 called "Tough Love" and after talking, reading the book I felt a ton lifted off my shoulder. I did not do this,,She has Never seen me drunk, never have I done drugs and it was a great help for me to be strong and hold her accountable for her actions. It was hard, I did a lot of crying but I held on to my faith. Unfortunately her father would bail her out of what ever she got into. Send her money while incarcerated and now she is due to get out very soon and he has bought a house for her to live in. I just wish there had been a Dr. Phil there for Penny. God Bless people like Dr. Phil. Sincerely from experience, Joyce

Sue

I'm truly disgusted how people are coming down on Dr. Phil. He's not discussing any details of what they talked about. He just said she needs help and she does,desperately, before she does something really drastic and then everyone will be saying "that' so sad that no one tried to help her." At least he cares enough to try to help instead of sitting at the computer typing nasty things about her and her family or stalking her with cameras. Ever hear of compassion? People do strange things when they have a mental illness or other problems. ...so you kick them when they are down???? That's really helpful. Shame on you people!!!!

b. newmon

What happened to patient rights??? This is disgusting. Did Spears want Dr. Phil to broadcast her information to the world?? He wants to have her on his program???? This is supposed to be a woman who has very serious problems, according to Dr. Phil. Common sense says he has no sense of decency any longer. Need to pump up those ratings, Dr.????? I would rather get advice from my small grandchild................ So long..............................

Bobby

Dr Phil is a ratings grabing hack and he is a bully Has anyone ever heard of Woman Camp NO! Its man camp because he blames everything on the men even when the women are wrong. If someone comes on his show and challenges him he kicks them out. The true sign of a chicken chit bully
Its obvious to me that Brittanys problems stem from all the money she has and all the damn papparazzi who are in her face every second Am I the only one who watched her attack a car with her umbrella? She just needs to get away from everyone. especially her loser ex old man who wants hsi kids so he can get that pay check because his own career well for lack of a better word SUCKS and TANKED

Alan

but the freak psychiatrists want to drug your kids and pay for psychiatric drug sponsorship on tv

at least dr phil was trying something to help her

she needs new friends and environment

knowitall

Brit needs to see Sylvia Brown, she's the one that can tell her the REAL DEAL!!!

DEAN

THE DR. PHIL SHOW IS NO MORE THAN A JERRY SPRINGER SHOW WITH A TWIST. HE AIRS DIRTY LAUNDRY IN A DIFFERENT WAY. THANK YOU OPRA FOR BRINGING US ANOTHER LOST OF GOOD AIR TIME.

Previous 15 Comments | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments