Psychiatrists Slam Phil, Cedars

1/6/2008 8:25 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Eight psychiatrists tell TMZ they are shocked Cedars Sinai Medical Center let Dr. Phil go up to Britney Spears' room without her prior knowledge or consent.
Dr. Phil, Britney Spears
The shrinks had various things to say about Dr. Phil's visit to Brit's room, but the theme was unified -- that the hospital should not allow any doctor who does not have in-patient privileges into a patient's room, unless that patient has given prior consent. TMZ has learned Britney had no idea Dr. Phil was coming to her room and indeed when he walked in she became agitated and walked out. She eventually came back in and he pretty much did all the talking for around 15 minutes.

One psychiatrist called it "intrusive and inappropriate." Another shrink told us the hospital "is supposed to be a safe place. If the patient doesn't want to see someone, that person doesn't get in -- period."

Another shrink, who said he was "outraged and disgusted," added, "It is incredible that the hospital allowed Dr. Phil in her room. It's a total violation of her rights."

One doc surmised bluntly the hospital was "star struck" and let the TV doctor's profile override its judgment.

We're told early yesterday the show wanted to book Brit for a TV intervention that is being taped on Monday. We're told she wants nothing to do with it, and the show will not have her on. We're also told Brit's parents, who wanted Dr. Phil to visit Britney, had agreed at least initially to be on the program.

One shrink said splashing a private medical matter on TV and saying it's an intervention -- especially without the proper medical diagnosis -- is no way to run a railroad.

angel

As I recall, Dr Phil stated on TV that he went to see Britney at the request of her family & that he and his wife were personal friends of the family. Maybe, just maybe he went to see her as a friend not a Doctor. Get all the facts.

Quitoxe

I dont know what is worse for Britanny being talked to by Dr Phil or being in the hands of Psychiatrist who will definitely screw her up worse than she already is. In fact she acts like she is on psych drugs now.

Q

Richard

I wonder if Dr. Phil would be so quick to run to the aid of a regular person in the same situation! I think not.....CANCEL his program!

Rick T

I'm a counselor from Michigan and I've always has a problem with the good old T.V. Dr. Phil; But this takes the cake what a sensationlist......My hearts goes out to the Spears and the family; their in a crisis mode and that's no joke.

Bea

Dr Phil is behaving like an ambulance chaser

TexicanPastor46

Where did " dr " Phil get his degree from, a Crackerjacks box ?

cheri

This is so unethical. Who wouldn't be agitated and walk out. Especially when that loudmouth know it all came in. I'm surprised he didn't bring a camera crew.

bob

who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue

Since when does TMZ report all the facts accurately or ALL the facts? It's tabloid. Please use your minds people. I'm sure there are pleny of psychologists who see nothing wrong with the fact Dr. Phil just went to talk to her at the request of her family since she isn't' getting the help she needs. She wasn't forced to talk to him. If she didn't want to talk to him, she didn't have to. Her "patient rights" weren't infringed upon. He wasn't there to be paid for an official psychological evaluation. His wife is friends with Brit's mom.

bored with it all

personally,i'm bored with the whole britney thing. we all know she's f***d up. as for dr. phil, he needs to mind his own business and quit playing god.

stackemuptexas

its good that someone intervened with brittany because she was on her way out she didnt need any children anyway but thats what she gets for trying to have that ferdeline guy only because he had a child with that black chick and sher was stupid jumoing on the wagon trying to take someone that she didnt love for her stupid mistake the children will suffer but who cares right as long as you got the money its okay to ruin lives i feel sorry for the children brits crazy as hell she is not the only young mother out there struggling and she aint even struggling and our people in the hood raise a better child

DR. WHO?

I TOO AM UPSET WITH DR. PHIL'S ACTIONS. WHY THE RUSH TO AID A CELEBRITY WHO CAN AFFORD ANY MENTAL THERAPIST SHE WANTS. DR. PHIL HAS CHANGED HIS FORMAT IN THE LAST FEW YEARS, AND IN MY OPINION TO THE WORSE. I HAVE WRITTEN SEVERAL TIMES FOR HIS HELP AND DIDN'T EVEN GET AN AUTOMATIC RESPONSE. ONE WAS TO TRY AND GET MY SISTER ON HIS WEIGHT LOSS SHOW (CHALLENGE), ANOTHER FOR THEM TO TALK WITH MY SON AND FIND OUT WHY HE TREATS ME THE WAY HE DOES (NO COMMUNICATION). AND IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN, HAS DR. PHIL HELPED ANY SENIOR CITIZENS....THEY HAVE THEIR PROBLEMS TOO! BUT AS DR. PHIL SAYS: IS IT WORKIN' FOR YOU?

stackemuptexas

with dr phils history of tv and talkshows its a wander he even get to talk to real people

Sally

HONESTLY I CANT BELIEVE WHAT I HAVE READ. DR PHIL IS DOING NOTHING SHORT OF TRYING TO HELP HER, REMEMBER BRITS PARENTS CALLED HIM! PHIL N ROBIN HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT HELP PEOPLE. I AM MOST DISGUSTED WITH THE HOSPITAL LETTING HER GO! I HOPE THAT DIDNT COST HER < HER LIFE? SHE WAS WERE SHE NEEDED TO BE PLAIN AND SIMPLE. SOME OFYOU PLEASE QUIT BEING NASTY, ITS NOT OUR LIVES. TO BE HONEST I A WEEK AGO WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BIPOLAR AND HAVE MY 2ND APPT TOMRORROW, ITS SCARY AND A VERY DIFFICAULT THING TO DEAL WITH, BUT I WILL FOR MY 2 GIRLS AND HUBBY, FRIENDS N FAMILY, SO ARE YOU GUYS GOING TO CALL ME A NUT JOB? GO AHEAD DO THE SAME FOR BRIT, WE BOTH KNOW WE DO HAVE PEOPLE THAT LOVE US TO DEATH
TAND SHE WILL PULL THREW AND DR.PHIL MAYBE THE ONE WITH THE TOUGH LOVE APPROACH THAT FINALLY WILL BREAK THE ICE ( I HOPE SO)
411- HER PARENTS CALLED DR.PHIL, THAT SHOWS THEY CARE BECAUSE HE IS THE BEST OF THE BEST AND IF MY DAUGHTERS WERE IN TROUBLE HE WOULD BE THE FIRST ONE I WOULD CALL PERIOD. SHAME ON YOU FOR TALKING TRASH ON ROBIN GEEZE, HOWDESPERATE ARE YOU.
ANOTHER 411- IF YOUR SICK OF BRIT GO TO ANOTHER BBLOG PAGE STOP WASTING YOUR PRECIOUS TIME, AS FOR ME AND SOME OTHERS WE DO CARE ABOUT HER ELL BEING AND I PRAY SHE COMES THREW THIS SAFELY!
BRIT LET YOUR MOM IN AND FAMILY THEY LOVE YOU!
I WILL PRAY, GOD BLESS

PS DR PHIL PLEASE CONTINUE TO HELP HER OR REFER HER TO YOUR WONDER COLLEGUES! YOU HAVE THE POWER TO DO IT- GOD BLESS

Kathy

I think Britt's family truly care , Ever had a kid act like this and not be able to help ? I have . You just pray someone can reach her, That she will listen to someone before it is to late .But i don't approve that the minute Dr Phil walks out of the room he starts talking to the media , What a Dr hears should be private , unless Britt were to give consent . I thought he showed up because he was really concerned and might be able to help , not to use for a tv show . She does need help and her mom and sister are always usually there when she will except there help , I think most of you have it wrong about Mom . and being a parent you will do anything to help your child even if they are an adult , worse part is most kids would talk to a stranger before sitting down and listening to a parent , That is why they get in more trouble , The more you talk to your kid , the more they will do the opposite in many cases .

Previous 15 Comments | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments