Martha's Dishes Made My Kids Sick!

1/17/2008 12:02 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

A Pennsylvania couple is suing Martha Stewart Living and K-Mart, claiming the domestic diva's "Everyday" dinnerware -- with the lovely name "Flowers and Buds Border" -- contains lead and is responsible for poisoning their children. Get the lead out!

In the lawsuit, filed on behalf of their two kids Michael and Matthew, Sandra and Raymond Dombroski allege the boys were poisoned by lead in the dinnerware, which caused the boys to suffer "mental, emotional and cognitive impairment, learning disability" as well as speech problems and physical impairment and a host of other problems. That's not a good thing!

Flowers and Buds dishesThe Dombroskis say that the lead problem is a result of "negligent, reckless, intentional and outrageous conduct of MSLO..." (that's Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia), and they've served up a heaping lawsuit asking for compensatory and punitive damages.

A spokesperson for MSLO told TMZ "We take consumer product safety very seriously. We do not comment on pending litigation."

Brooke

If i was in the parents place i would have contacted her and tried to make sure that filing a lawsuit was the right thing to do. I mean i'm sure that martha would have maybe looked into it to see if her dishes really had lead in them, and if so, probably done something about it. If not, then they should have went forward with the lawsuit.

aSiF

Really, is that what their problems came from? You sure it's not that poluted gene pool?

Mike

It's always somebody elses fault, isn't it?

JulesWatanabe

Eh? Bleah! People do anything for money!

Tired and Ready for A Nap

WHAT THE ???? I'm a parent but I smell a frivilious law suit here.

Brooke

It sounds to me like the parents are a bit crazy!!!!

me

Back to jail for Martha.

ScienceGeek

Lead is a serious contaminant that can cause irreparable neurological damage. Children are especially sensitive, and, therefore, if there is actually lead within the plates, this is certainly a serious issue that should be dealt with immediately.

HB

If there is lead in the dishes then that is really bad and I hope they do a recall quickly.

Questioning

I wonder why in all this time there is only one family that has be affected. Could it be that this just be a way for this family to get some big bucks? Seems so in my opinion.

diofghdiogv

Something smells fishy here.
IF there was that much lead in these dishes where are all the other people that began having problems from them????
No way these are the only two people anywhere that had problems form them.

All sounds fake to me. These parents are just out to gain from something else that might be wrong with these children.
Who knows, maybe the mom looked up lead poisoning and self diagnosed and thought "hey, lets sue the maker of the plates"

rminva

Seems to me they would be recalling the dishes if this really were the case....smacks of a frivelous lawsuit!

tess

I'm going out and get me one of those lead test kits!!! I'm testing everything in my house. I'm going to be RICH, I tell ya!!! RICH, RICH, RICH!!! (Insert maniacal laugh here...)

carol

There are US laws regulating lead levels in dishware. Lead poisoning CAN occur from dishes, usually produced in poorly regulated countries such as China. Children are especially susceptable to lead poisoning, and this case may be valid. Tests of lead levels in the dishes should be performed before anyone calls the lawsuit frivilous.

revolver

Well, Mattel seems to think it's okay to poison American children with lead in their toys and it's acceptable. Martha Stewart or ANYONE for that matter should NOT be using lead in manufacturing. It's not healthy for ANYONE. Any action to prevent big business from thinking it's ALRIGHT TO POISON AMERICA is okay in my book. WAKE UP PEOPLE! Calling kids dumb or insulting the parents only shows your intelligence and maturity. You should feel ashamed of yourselves. Would you make fun of a kid with down's? Yeah, you probably would. Maybe you should all know what you're talking about before you comment. Lead poisoning is serious and causes brain damage and learning disabilities. I see nothing funny about that. I hope your family knows the pain of this preventable affliction.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments