Heath Had Substance Abuse Problem

1/22/2008 7:43 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Heath Ledger had a substance abuse problem. A Ledger confidante tells us he had been clean for a year.

Contrary to several published reports, we're told Ledger had not been in rehab.

Joanne

I feel sorry for his daughter. I feel sorry for his daughter to have such a horrid name. poor thing..

AMBIEN SCHMAMBIEN

HOW SAD FOR HIS BABY, MICHELLE MUST FEEL SO MUCH ANGER AND SADNESS. SHE MUST HAVE KNEW ABOUT HIS SUBSTANCE ABUSE PROBLEM. EITHER WAY ITS NOT HER FAULT , HE CHOSE DRUGS OVER LIFE.

BARB

Ok TMZ - enough with the posts.... why don't you just put a live feed outside of his apartment building.. better yet - the morgue! - it's what you do best.

antonio claiborne

I'm so sad hes dead. I cant believe of all people HL is dead. My heart goes out to his family friend and fans. A death is something to be joyful about not sad.

AMBIEN SCHMAMBIEN

CONFUSIOUSE SAY "BRITNEY YOU ARE NEXT"

Bobbie

this is my first time here. what is up with all the "first" comments.
and this is very sad. his poor little girl

Kim

Such a waste of life and talent, it is just so tragic. Why does all news have to race to break the news, he was found at 3:30 and it is on the news at 4:30, it is sad to think that those that knew and loved him had to find out about his passing on the news or tmz. i doubt thier was time to notify his parents or even Michelle for that matter, the mother of his child. God bless him and his Matilda and may he rest in peace.

rowie

Heath just spent Christmas in Perth, with his family. What a sad situation.

Good Luck Redmond !!!

I am so sad, I couldn't believe it when I first heard of his death. Gone too soon. :(

Jamie

Heyeveryone, this is sad but true. Everyone has prolems, maybe just had an accident. Body did not lik what it got. m TY or theMovies Heath.

kate

he was a known heroine addict - that's why his old lady dumped him. RIP anyway though.

I love it!

29. is anyone elses prezhilton.com crashed or down or broken or somethin??

Posted at 5:52PM on Jan 22nd 2008 by fal
YES! DLISTED TOO!

THANK YOU I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST ME!!!!

barbarab

What is happienng with all these young actors????????????????????It seams they are all males??????????????

iamshootingstar

I have wondered about him and possible drug use. He had gotten thin to the point of looking gaunt. The last photo of him, he looks like he's aged a lot. It's a shame. So many of these people get into acting because of self-esteem issues. And so many end up as drug abusers or alcoholics after they've become famous, and it STILL didn't fix the underlying self-esteem issues.

AJ