Ledger's Death Doesn't Look Like Suicide

1/23/2008 11:07 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Multiple sources in the NYPD tell TMZ, although it's too early to know, it's looking like Heath Ledger's death was accidental and not suicide.

There have been numerous reports suggesting that Ledger took his own life by ingesting a boatload of pills. Contrary to initial reports, the pills that were "scattered" around Ledger's apartment were actually in containers. We're told the containers were not littering the apartment. Rather, some were in the medicine cabinet and some in other rooms. As we reported, one container was on Ledger's nightstand. Cops found sleeping pills and an anti-anxiety drug in the bedroom.

A rep for the family tells TMZ that detectives have been in touch with Ledger's next of kin and the cops told them that so far there is no evidence suggesting suicide. Of course, until the toxicology reports come in, no one knows for sure.

A well-connected source in the NYPD told us this morning the "operating theory" right now within the department is that it was an accidental death, not suicide.

It's unclear if Ledger's health was a factor. As we first reported, he had pneumonia at the time of his death.

Yardie

guys come on! this is heath we r talking about. he is NOT one of those actors who is constantly in the spotlight for the wrong things. the guy deserve to be remembered for who he is : a quit intellectual who gave a heck of a performance in all his movies.

i feel the pain of his baby's momma and the rest of the family. GOD SPEED HEATH!

WHAT

heart and prayers go out to him and his loved ones ..wow ..how sad ...

zoso

I know this will probably end up being futile, but I hope not. I would like to respond to the people who are stating negative and even twisted comments about Heath after his death. As a savy blog reader, I understand, as many other savy readers do, that the vast majority of people making these demented comments don't really mean it. They are attention starved individuals who are doing it for shock value to see what kind of responses they can get. That's all fine with me; I have learned how to "scan" over these comments and write them off as insignificant. However, for those of you doing this, please remember that Heath's family and close friends may be reading these comments later. Forget about us, we know what your agenda is. But remember that Heath's family is going to mourning for a long time, and your comments could have a great, adverse affect on their healing process.

SLM

I'm deeply saddend to hear of yet another Hollywood tragedy. This poor man had everyday issues just like the rest of us, and he did not deserve this fate. My heart goes out to Michelle, little Matilda & the rest of Heath's family, there are good people in the world who are thinking and caring for you. I hope the ignorence and judgement surrounding this event will be forgotten so that the world can remember Heath as a inspriation as well as a professional and talented actor. RIP Heath, Matilda now has a special angel watching over her.

diddlywop

Posted at 9:24AM on Jan 23rd 2008 by Taffy Titz"

Then don't read the article or comment on it, d*ckhead.

Am I the only one shocked by how vicious and inconsiderate some of the comments regarding the death of another human being are? You people need to stop all this. How would you like it if someone called the death of your brother or father, "BORING!!!!!?"

Like people did to Kanye west's mother? People may not have liked Kanye but that was his mother, not him. True hypocrisy!

Patty

I take Xanax daily prescribed by a doctor and never more than I should. Last week, I was sick with the flu and took two Tylenol PMs. I slept for 17 hours and my heart rate was almost undetectable. I am lucky someone was here to get me help. I wasn't trying to commit suicide - far from it. I just wanted to sleep peacefully. This scares the heck out of me and I will never take any kind of sedative with Xanax again.

My prayers go out to Heath's family and his little daughter whom he cherished. He was a phenomenal actor. Pay him tribute by seeing his last film when it comes out. It's going to be great anyway and the part he plays is said to be fantastic.

RIP Heath.

amom

as a nurse you would be surprised at how many people have adverse reactions to med combining taking an over the counter along with a prescription medication even in normal doses can lead to allergic reaction respiratory complications decreased kidney function the list goes on Unfortunately it was a gifted young man in the prime of his life and there is no reason to think it was anything other than a tragic accident. I feel bad for his family and friends

#82--can you OD when you take Ambien and Zanax together? If so, then why do doctors prescribe them together? Since you are a nurse, I thought you might know--thanks!

hillary

Taffy Tiz and VLad - Seriously, keep it to yourself. I would love to see your sources on Heath being a "junky", or "cocaine and heroin addict", either way your insults are completely contemptible. Attention? Is that what you want? You guys need a hug.

Heath Ledger was a successful actor with so much promise. He loved his friends, family, and his beautiful baby Matilda. The autopsy results aren't even out yet, and you have the audacity to judge. Pathetic. My heart is with heath and his family.

darcy

THIS IS VERY SAD INDEED, MY CONDOLENCES GO TO ALL HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS AT THIS SAD TIME. I FEEL SORRY FOR HIS LITTLE GIRL, WHY CANT ALL THESE PEOPLE WITH NEGATIVE THINGS TO SAY KEEP THEIR SAD PATHETIC OPINIONS TO THEMSELVES, THEY DISGUST ME.

RIP HEATH, YOU WILL BE SADLY MISSED

DesertChildAZ

#82:

Common Xanax side effects: drowsiness, fatigue, light-headedness, or speech problems.

Less common Xanax side effects: abdominal cramps, constipation, dry mouth, hyperventilation, blurred vision, nausea, chest pain, change in sex drive, confusion, headache, change in appetite, insomnia, unusual dreams, change in salivation, low blood pressure, racing heartbeat, fainting, nasal congestion, difficulty urinating, sweating, weight change, skin irritation, twitching or tremors, nervous or anxious state, sun sensitivity, respiratory infection, memory impairment, menstrual difficulties, and loss of coordination. Speak to your doctor about any of these effects; your dosage may need to be adjusted or treatment discontinued.

Rare Xanax side effects: difficulty concentrating, slurred or unusual speech, double vision, fear, altered sense of taste, lack of inhibition, muscle cramps or spasms, urination problems, tingling, incontinence, warmth, weakness, change in muscle tone, or yellow eyes and skin. Speak to your doctor if you experience any of these effects; your treatment may need to be discontinued.

Do not take ketoconazole (Nizoral) or itraconazole (Sporanox) during treatment with alprazolam without first talking to your doctor. • Alprazolam may increase the effects of other drugs that cause drowsiness, including antidepressants, alcohol, antihistamines, sedatives (used to treat insomnia), pain relievers, anxiety medicines, seizure medicines, and muscle relaxants. Tell your doctor about all medicines that you are taking, and do not take any medicine without first talking to your doctor. • Antacids may decrease the effects of alprazolam. Separate doses of an antacid and alprazolam by several hours whenever possible. • Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with alprazolam. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines, including herbal products.

sammi

WHOAAAAAAAAAA. #69 And #73 I'm Sammi And #68 I would appreciate if you read my comment again i said nothing negative except to the stupid a******* that did

amom

combining two meds both with sedative effects can exponentially increase those effects even with the right doses. tio that combination add one beer or you add to it add an over th counter sleep aid all with dipenhydramine (benadryl) and tylenol which destroys your liver in even moderate doses you just stop breathing, very peaceful, the respiratory control centers in your brain stem just shut down basically. It happens all the time.

kr4prez

I just got over pneumonia and wonder what kind of meds Heath was on because there were days when the prednisone was cranking and the antibiotics were raging that I was paranoid, couldn't sleep, dizzy, blanked out, crazy stuff. I was given codeine for sleep, so if he was taking some other sleeping pills in combo with the pneumonia meds, I can see this tragedy happening.

#86--Thanks, Kelly. Very Interesting.