Like a Juror!

2/25/2008 4:37 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ is at the Beverly Hills Courthouse where Madonna is doing her civic duty -- and showed up for jury duty!

Her Madgesty is wearing a dark brown velour Juicy Couture sweatsuit, sunglasses, tennis shoes and an oh-so-glam Juror badge -- sipping on Starbucks. She's busy texting on a red cell phone in the hallway and is waiting to be called in to court -- or excused.

Stay tuned!

Alex

Madonna looks OLD! Cyndi Lauper looks way BETTER!

Dr. Adams

A pip-pip and a Cherrio, Keep a stiff upper lip.....hey wait a moment!!...I'm Madonna ....I'm british you blody americans!! what am i doing on jury duty!!!....(((Taly-ho)))

Moose

#6

Not everyone owns a suit and not everyone can afford a suit. Unfortunately, jurors don't get enough respect. They ought to be able to wear what they want and to serve as comfortably dressed as possible. IMO, judges need to cut all jurors some slack and realize that jurors are there because they are required to be and doing the job that is requested of them. The least the judges can do is not concern themselves with some sort of dress code.

samisarat

#24 Madonna went to the University of Michigan for 2 years to study dance after high school, before she left for NYC to become famous. She was studying ballet. So don't act like you know!

kim

UM She lives in London but still American citizen so doing jury duty? Pleaaaasssse - excuse her for all our sakes & send her ass back over the pond =( America is DONE with her.

richard pierce

So much for being judged by a jury of your "peers" - what a C U Next Tuesday.

DS

Noodles - yes, it actually is VERY disrespectful to show up to court for any position in sweats. You wouldn't show up in your sweats if you were a defendant, for example. Neither should you show up in sweats as a juror. I agree that people should be applauded for performing their civic service as jurors and not trying to get out of it, but dressing respectably in court is part of that service.

casey0413

#7 I agree - I just did my jury duty a few weeks ago and the instructions clearly state that you are to wear business attire. But consider the source. They think they are the exception to every rule.

Jizy

I did jury duty two summers ago, there was no dress code mentioned.

DS

"Business attire" doesn't mean "suit." It just means "dress nicely." Sweatsuits do not qualify. And in any case, Madonna, for one, can't use the excuse that she can't afford business attire.

DS

Here we go, from the LA County Courthouse page:

Q: What should I wear to court?
A: Dress code should be casual in attire, but respectful of the court. For example, do not wear shorts, halter or tank tops, midriff clothing, beachwear, sandals, or t-shirts with inappropriate pictures or sayings.

There. No suits, but nice dress. Sweatsuits not mentioned here, but really now...they don't seem quite on par to "respectful of the court." I suppose that will all ultimately depend on the judge's mood that day.

DS

Here we go. From the Los Angeles County Court page:

Q: What should I wear to court?

There. Nothing about sweatsuits, but really...those don't seem on par with being "respectful of the court." I suppose it all ultimately depends on the judge's mood that day.

Moose

#35

A defendant is wearing a suit because he or she wants to put him/her self in the best light so that he or she doesn't go to jail. Not all defendants can afford suits either. They don't all wear suits. What if they can't afford one? What if a juror doesn't own one and can't afford one? What if a blue collar male juror can't afford a suit?

As I expected, the jurors don't get the respect they deserve. I expected my statement would touch a nerve and it did. It is about the law and getting the verdict right. Not about wearing a suit and not about the dress code. Respect for the law means that jurors who are asked to serve on juries do serve. That is the ultimate in respect. The disrespect occurs when potential jurors do all that they can to avoid jury duty..

It is tough enough getting jurors to serve.

Of course day time television and all of these tv judges, IMO aren't helping the court system any.

Moose

#38 I would imagine that the attire that a juror is expected to wear is at the discretion of the judge.

I do agree that Madonna could have worn different clothing, I just don't look at it as that big of a deal. I think it is more important to get jurors to serve and that the jurors issue the correct verdict and not be so concerned about what they wear.

#40 California IMO, is far more laid back than the rest of the country. I am sure the jurors at the OJ trial would have preferred to dress as comfortable as possible. Trials seem to last a very long time there.

tibreton

she just the best for all sitations !!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments