Hey Leno, How's This for "Gayest Look"?!

3/25/2008 2:46 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jeff Whitless vs. Jay LenoBroadway playwright Jeff Whitty is once again lashing out at Jay Leno -- this time for asking Ryan Phillippe to give his "gayest look" on the "Tonight Show."

During an interview last week, Leno made light of Ryan's first acting role -- playing a gay teen on "One Life to Live"-- by asking the visibly uncomfortable star to give him his "gayest look." Queer eye for the unfunny guy!

In a letter on his website, Whitty, who won a Tony for "Avenue Q" and is openly gay, calls Jay a jerk for "using the stereotype that we're laughable and really, all the same in the end." Whitty also links to various images and articles of "gay faces" -- like slain teen and hate-crime victim Lawrence King -- and asks Jay, "Which one's the gayest to you?"

After sparring in 2006 over Jay's relentless "gay-baiting" jokes, Whitty and Leno allegedly talked and, er, straightened out the matter. But with this latest incident, it's safe to say Leno and Whitty aren't exactly fishin' buddies.

TMZ contacted a "Tonight Show" rep, but have not heard back.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Gini

Yes, it's a shame that he made fun of "gayism"...it's better that it's not mentioned at all! Parts are parts folks and certain parts were meant to fit and others don't...if you get the drift. Just because people are becoming more and more immune to what is WRONG in the world doesn't mean it will ever be RIGHT. I don't believe in trashing/harming someone because of their lifestyle...but on the other hand, I don't believe in glorifying something that is obviously against nature and smearing it in other's faces.

Matt

Jay's an idiot anyway, and rips off other shows for content...

Ben

It's time for Jay Leno to step down. I have quit watching his show because of the jokes that he makes about the gay/lesbian community. It reminds me of what my grandmother said. If you put others down and make fun of them it is because you feel inferior yourself.

kerry

Good for him! Jokes like Leno's and others make it okay for others to laugh at homosexuality, which in turn dehumanizes gays and lesbians. This, likewise, sends a societal message that it's acceptable to bully, bash, or otherwise mistreat gays and lesbians. Bravo to Whitty for taking a stand, and bravo for a change to TMZ for writing about it!

Liz

Come on TMZ, GET RID OF THIS REGGIE PERSON!!!!!!!

He's just another Idiot

I watch Jay Leno every night. He always puts me in a good mood. He tells jokes, people, stop all the bashing. Hope he goes to ABC when that very unfunny, goofy, silly Colin what's his name takes over. He will ruin the Tonight Show. It's a shame since the show has been on so many years.

Jennie

I rarely watch Jay; I've been a Letterman fan. But if he's saying these things, it's atrocious and NBC should not allow him to stay on the air now or fight for him in the future.

Liz

Something tells me, Leno won't be loosing any sleep over Whitty!

lookinthemirror

Never liked Jay Leno , He was never funny and always a ripping on any one other than himself. He probably a closet gay himself since he bashes us so much. Afraid to be real.
JAY IS AN A-HOLE

He's just another Idiot

I've never disliked gays until I read the stupid comments that some of you are making on here. Gee, what dumb asses.

reggie

#4 Dallas, Your a sore loser ( can't take the heat get out of the forum )

Bash a Pap

Sorry M&M. Gay people are not the ones making stupid comments... that would be Mr. Leno... and I don't think he is all that gay. Much.

Johnny Lawson

I'm sure Jay Leno is giving Whitty the same exact finger gesture right about now....

annoyed

I am so sick of gay people whining about being mistreated. Everyone, straight, gay, white, black, Asian, male, female, Republican, Democrat, etc is so sensitive these days. Come on America, grow some thick skin and stop whining about every little remark somebody makes. Sometimes you may deserve an apology, but it's gotten to where you can't say anything to anyone without someone being offended and demanding an apology. We are the most offended country in the world. Alot of people here walk around with a chip on their shoulder, and it's time we stopped this foolishness and starting acting like adults.

crus

Do you think gay men get off from having a bile movement?? Just askin'!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments