Cook's Condition Triggered by Brother's Illness

4/2/2008 1:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

David CookTMZ has learned what probably triggered the medical emergency with David Cook tonight.

As we first reported, Cook was taken to the hospital after his heart began palpitating and his blood pressure rose. We're told Cook, who has high blood pressure to begin with, has been under tremendous stress because his brother has been ill. We're told David's brother, who has cancer, suffered a setback within the last week, and it has really put David on the ropes.

David has been completely stressed out during the entire season. During one of the first shows, David broke down and said he couldn't perform that night -- and changed his mind at the last minute.

We're told earlier tonight, David began complaining that he did not feel well. After the performance, Cook reassured people he was OK -- but ultimately realized he needed medical help.

Story developing ...

movingforward

David,try to hang in there. Like your brother,I also have brain cancer. I'm always so worried about myself,I sometimes forget how stressful this situation is on my whole family. God Bless!

Hmmmmmm

BERLANTA

WHAT KIND OF CANCER IS IT.??? WOULD BONE MARROW HELP HIM RECOVER?

kchantel

David, you are awesome! I'm huge American Idol fan, and a David Cook fan. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. I stodd by my little sister's side while she battled cancer. I understand how you must be feeling, although, I am not aware of all the details. Stay strong and always remain optimistic....it will get you through each and every day. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. God bless.

NO1UKNO

Sounds somewhat PTSD. Going threw a family ordeal such as that, not to mention being on Idol at the same time. Good luck kid

Disgusted

"Hmmmmmm....can we say JOHNNY FAIRPLAY?????? It's a COMPETITION people, get it any way you can. He's such a drama queen.....not saying his bro may not be sick, BUT.......can you say "LEAVE THE SHOW"????? Oh, wait....let me see....he's gonna say it's his brother's "last wish" that he stay in the competition. If he's soooo stressed, whats more important.....the "possibility" of a win, OR his "cancer stricken" brother????? He's such a good little trooper!!!"

God, what an ass you are Hmmmmm...get a freaking life. Plenty of people have sick family members they worry about and still try to get on with their own life.

Angie

Don't believe everything you read...this is untrue. They have completely blown up something that was small and not such a major issue compiled other pieces of his life and created some hollywood journalistic story that is worthy only of the tabloids as a LIE. Again the key is DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!!! He went to a Dr. for an infection it had nothing to do with anything else. These people are just feeding on any little bit of info they get.

Blackminx

David, you are the BEST and have a great career ahead of you. Keep your eye on the prize. Whether or not you win AI, you've still got that special star quality (don't care what Simon says). You remind me of Daughtry--you are unique to the world and make every song your own. Prayers and love out to you and your brother. Stay strong and take one day (one minute, if necessary) at a time. Stay healthy, stay strong. You and your brother will both make it!!! Believe.

Andy

Hi David you are great I think you are the best that I have ever saw.
You did a great job with the courty music one. Keep it up
you should come up to CT sometime I will teach you line danceing you will love it

tequam worku

you are an awesome musician and i really hope yoor brother gets better

DIANE SELECKY

DAVID YOU ARE A GREAT PERFORMER AND I BELIEVE THAT YOU WILL BE THE NEXT AMERICAN IDOL. TRY TO BE STRONG FOR YOUR BROTHER- THE BETTER YOU DO THE BETTER YOU BOTH WILL FEEL. A DEVOTED AND CARING FAN.

Mother T

David, You show us all the great love that can be felt between siblings. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You have an amazing talent that God gave you, it shows he knows YOU, and I'm sure he knows what your going though. God bless you.

BEACH GIRL

GOD bless you & your brother, He is in GOD's hands.
As far as you are concerned, you are really going places after you win this whole show !!
I've told all my family & friends to remember the name "David Cook" because you are the most talented contestant
there. When you sang "HELLO" I thought you should be recording that on a DVD. I sure as heck would buy it & so would a lot of other people. I can hardly wqait to see your name in lights !!
Good luck & GOD speed.

juliette paskowitz

DAVID.. YOU CAN WIN IT ALL... YOU HAVE THE REAL TALENT THAT IT TAKES... YOUR BROTHER WOULD WANT YOU TO WIN. YOU ARE THE NEXT AI...NOT TO BE MEAN BUT IF YOU COULD JUST GET IN A LITTLE BETTER SHAPE YOU WOULD GET RID OF YOUR HIGH BP. YOU ARE THE BEST OF ALL!!!!

hda

keep ur head up, u can't do anythng about your bro except be there if needed. he prolly would tell u not to worry about him and do ur thing.. the reason i say this,... i am coming off my 6th chemo treatment with great hope. and it's all in the man above, stay strong! RELENTLESS

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments