Cameron Diaz's Father Dies From Pneumonia

4/15/2008 7:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE: Cameron issued the following statement: "My mom, sister and I are deeply appreciative of the overwhelming outpouring of love and support during this difficult time for us and all of our family. My dad was loved by so many people and his humor and spirit will always live on in our hearts."

TMZ has learned that Cameron Diaz's father died suddenly early this morning.

We're told the 58-year-old Emilio Diaz, a popular resident of Seal Beach, Calif., recently developed the flu which then turned into pneumonia. We hear his death was "shocking" as Emilio was in "terrific health." Diaz is currently filming her upcoming flick "My Sister's Keeper." A source on the set tells us production on the film was shut down today.

Emilio was a second generation Cuban-American who worked as a foreman for an oil company. He had a bit part in his daughter's film "There's Something About Mary" as "Jailbird."

A rep for Cameron did not return our request for comment.

Cameron Diaz -- click to launch

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Rick

Oh so sad
so young and so suddenly. I feel for the family, it's so painfull to loose a parent.
It takes years to get over it if at all we ever get over it. I have not.

BGZ

First! RIP Mr. Diaz

VS

Cami I am so sorry!

Steph

Shocking and tragic! Thoughts and prayers are with Cam and her family.

Anti-Society

Oh no. That hurts. :(

April Brewer

I send my love and prayers to Cameron and her family.So sorry for your loss.

BGZ

Prayers go out to Cameron and her family

THE TRUTH IS WITHIN ME BITCHES

My thoughts & prayers go out to their family! What a tragedy, R.I.P.

Brent Wermes

That is aweful to hear about anyone. His family is in my thoughts.

DMLady

my condolences to Cameron and her family.

Jenny

Doing First! is in very bad taste here, BGZ. That poor man.

Amber

TMZ, thank you for handling this respectfully and not making disgusting comments.

AlwaysHungry

Wow, thoughts and prayers to her and the family friends of Mr. Diaz

boxerdude

that's so sad. she seems like such a lovely, vibrant woman - i'm sure she has a strong support network around her. best wishes to her and her family during this difficult time.

nancy

So sorry. The loss of a parent is such a painful and terrible thing, and to lose a parent so suddenly....

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments