Cameron Diaz's Father Dies From Pneumonia

4/15/2008 7:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE: Cameron issued the following statement: "My mom, sister and I are deeply appreciative of the overwhelming outpouring of love and support during this difficult time for us and all of our family. My dad was loved by so many people and his humor and spirit will always live on in our hearts."

TMZ has learned that Cameron Diaz's father died suddenly early this morning.

We're told the 58-year-old Emilio Diaz, a popular resident of Seal Beach, Calif., recently developed the flu which then turned into pneumonia. We hear his death was "shocking" as Emilio was in "terrific health." Diaz is currently filming her upcoming flick "My Sister's Keeper." A source on the set tells us production on the film was shut down today.

Emilio was a second generation Cuban-American who worked as a foreman for an oil company. He had a bit part in his daughter's film "There's Something About Mary" as "Jailbird."

A rep for Cameron did not return our request for comment.

Cameron Diaz -- click to launch

matt

Why arent you making fun of it like you did with Elliot yamin???
Yeah...whatevs.
MW

FlBiker

Say hi to Tookie and Barbaro from us.

FlBiker

Did he see Cameron without her make-up, that'd do it.

A Stranger

Peace be with you and your family.

LJK

Oh gawsh, this is terrible news! No matter who you are, losing a parent is heart wrenching...R.I.P. Mr. Diaz....Cameron, we are so sorry for your loss. :(

ginger11

I just lost my mom a year ago, my heart is out to you and your family.

Black Teef

Cameron, such a terrible loss, you must be feeling such grief. If you need some comfort sex, please call me.

splash

my dad worked with him at unocal 76 way back when cameron was a young teenager. used to see them at company picnics. my deepest condolences to the family.

sandra weisz

rest in peace camron diaz's dad. i didn't know he was cuban, i'm also considered cuban, as my mother was born there. he must have been so proud of his daughter. saw her recently in "being john malkovich where they made her look like a geek. i really have hair like that lol. anyway my sincerest condolences. vaya con dios.

Jingabella

My deepest sympathies to Cameron and her family. I know she is in shock and needs a long time to grieve, so much more difficult when it is completely unexpected.

.Also, Cameron seems like such a funny, sweet, lovely, real person... I wish people would quit saying such mean things about her.,,,give her some respect.

1st

Who is the Dude not wearing the sunglasses?

MACCAPONE

MY condolences OUT OUT TO HER FAMILY IT VERY SAD DAY.......

susan

So very sad. My condolences.

Robert

Condoleleces from the Robert fam, may Mr Diaz RIP, Cameron,prayers go out from our fam to your fam and may you find peace in this time of anguish.

Lenn K.

Thoughts and prayers to Cameron on the loss of father at such a young age.