PETA to Morrissey: To Sirloin, With Love

4/16/2008 2:01 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

PETA is full of bull -- or at least they like hangin' with people who are full of it.

The animule rights organization called us out for calling Morrissey out yesterday. You see, vegetarian Morrissey, who wrote the song/album, "Meat is Murder," chowed down at STK -- a hip steakhouse in West Hollywood. PETA says it's ok for hard-core veggies to eat at a steakhouse because -- and we quote -- "Steakhouses have some of the best vegetarian food around." Oh yeah, gotta love that Kobe cauliflower! Maybe Morrissey gets a pass 'cause he's a believer.

PETA big cheese Ingrid Newkirk tells TMZ she's got no beef with steakhouses -- she's been to the STK in New York herself.

We're wondering if it's ok for Pam Anderson to shop for spandex at Fred the Furrier...

UPDATE: Michael McGraw from PETA just called us to say he was upset by our story, adding, "PETA is fine with vegetarians dining at steakhouses. It's just like shopping at stores like Whole Foods that also sell meat, because it's good to show proprietors they can make money by selling veggie options." Um, OK. What about getting mashed potatoes at KFC?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

fathead

bunch of psychotic hypocrites. why not focus your energy on HUMAN RIGHTS.

PinkGargoyle

Lame.

No Excuses

There should be enough people on this earth to fight for human AND animal rights. If you go to a Steak House and order a salad, that does not make you a hypocrite. Just because I don't drink alchol, doesn't mean I can't sit in a bar with my friends and order ice tea. It's a personal choice. And if TMZ thought they got some fantastic story here, once again, they are delusional.

Hyde

I don't care if a steakhouse has a mile-long salad bar. For PETA to not look like the hypocrites they are, they have to be consistent and condemn steakhouses for serving meat. Saying steakhouses are ok because they have vegetarian food completely misses their point. How stupid.

ME

I'm a vegetarian and I go to steakhouses with my friends. It doesn't make me a hypocrite as I am still not eating the meat. TMZ is just fishing for ways to insult those they do not agree with on this one.

Popsmart

PETA is hypocritical bull, no matter what they do or say. Check out Penn and Teller's episode about them. They've got members who use insulin tested on dogs, they freeze animals in those big storage meat lockers. I'm no animal activist, but if I was, I'd never pick PETA. I'd rather focus on abused and neglected children than animals that can reproduce faster than humans and can care for themselves, unlike kids.

kim

I may be in minority but I see nothing wrong or hypocritical about a vegetarian eating at Steakhouse. As long as they arent eating meat they arent being hypocritical. I think it must be hard for vegetarians to eat out anywhere since most every restaurant serves some type of meat/there arent ot many vegan restaurants around.

Jennifer2000

PETA

P - - - - - PEOPLE

E - - - - - EATING

T - - - - - TASTY

A - - - - - ANIMALS

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ! ! ! !

Joy

SORRY PETA, I SIMPLY CAN'T STAND YOU ALL. YOU CARE SO MUCH ABOUT ANIMALS, AND I'VE NEVER HEARD YOU GUYS STANDING UP FOR HUMANS. THEIR ARE CHILDREN DYING ALL OVER THE WORLD AND YOU LOSERS SPEND ALL OF YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON ANIMALS AND THEIR RIGHTS. I DON'T HAVE ANY RESPECT FOR YOU AT ALL, ITS MINOR COMPARED TO WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW TO THE HUMAN RACE.

Amanda

This isn't surprising coming from the group that violently proclaims animal-human equality while slaughtering stray dogs and cats. See www.petakillsanimals.com.

ME

J - #9 - what are you doing to help anyone or anything? The organization isn't anti-human, it just focuses on helping animals, who are incapable of standing up for themselves.

Area 51

You know their phony positions are transparent when even TMZ can see through them.

Lori

#3 AND 5 ...YOU ARE WRONG. This is not some nice group of vegetarians. PETA has been a fanatical group and have even handed out gory pamphlets to unsuspecting children about the slaughter of animals. They have thrown blood on models at fashion shows and pretty much acted like a bunch of loons all in the name of animal rights. They have campaigned against KFC , which also serves salads!

So giving your dollars and helping to financially support a steak house which buys animals that have been, per PETA inhumanely cared for and slaughtered, is not hypocrisy?

ME

Dang, I hate when they mess up the order of the comments. Anyway, Clue4U, please show me where PETA specifically says this steakhouse (STK) treats animals inhumanely. I looked, but I couldn't find it. Please show me oh great knower of all.

Brandy

I'm vegetarian. I agree with PETA on most things.
I agree it's a little odd to say it's ok to support companies that abuse animals (ie - KFC) & giving your money to a steakhouse is not the best... But, you can go to a steakhouse & get a salad & you shouldn't be called out on it.

PETA in my opinion is majority good. There are some bad parts I don't agree with. But, you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments