Peter Strauss Bitten, Dog Bites Dust

4/24/2008 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

peter straussActor Peter Strauss was viciously attacked by a pit bull -- and the attack was so bad, the authorities put down the dog.

Here's what we know. A 30-pound pit bull mix escaped through its owner's fence late last month and attacked 61-year-old Strauss ('memba "Rich Man, Poor Man"?), who was on his property outside of Ojai, CA. We're told the ferocious dog found Strauss in his orchard and attacked him. Strauss was eventually able to escape by climbing up a tree.

A struggle ensued, and the dog eventually went on the hunt for fresh skin, attacking a neighbor. The Ventura County Dept. of Animal Regulation came and subdued the dog with a dog-catching pole.

The dog's owner surrendered the animal to the VCDAR and requested it be put down ... which it was.

We know Strauss was bitten in the legs. He was taken to the hospital and treated.

Lolita

#37, you say that because your dog hasn't mauled anyone yet. That's what E-V-E-R-Y pit bull owner says BEFORE their dog kills a child. This is what they say after, "But he never bit anyone before...But he's so sweet with MY kids...." Feck off, you selfish jerk.

my3pittys

pk3palm beach you are an idiot

me

brenda should be the new president for peta since she seems to have the mentality that pets come before people. put the owners down....what a moronic statement. and gee, my terrier and my in-law's ugly little poodle are so vicious that we if look at them the wrong way, they attack. gimme a break. the terrier and the poodle, along with my sister-in-law's 150lb lab have never, i repeat, never bit another person. and they also don't need 24/7 supervision to prevent them from attacking a human being. too bad pit owners can't say the same. if it hasn't happened yet, it will. and you'll be kicking yourself in the a$$ when it's your kid's arm that gets mauled by your "sweet and innocent pit". why do you think these types of dogs need such special, constant and very cautious treatment.....BECAUSE IT'S IN THEIR NATURE TO BE VICIOUS!

BJ Rocks

Thats funny I made 2 comments and they were removed. Mine being the 2 that made the most sense.. Its the closed minded people that think every Rottweiller, PittBull are ferious that made this breed banned along with the owners that do not respect and treat the breeds with gentle care and kindness... We pay extra homeowners insurance due to these irrisponsible pet owners.. We need legilature to where these people will be prosecuted to the fullest extent that is humanly possible. Get responsible or do not own an animal!

Liz

Now A Believer ~ why did you have the dog euthanized? Dogs like people can be rehabilitated!!!

BJ Rocks

ha ha #43 go play with your terrier

Lolita

TMZ, don't you know when you post a pit bull story you are going to cause a war between the sensible people (like those who know the truth about this vicious breed) and the redneck idiots who own them? Lol.

L.S

Peter is so handsome hope the dog didn't get the face.

Liz

Lolita, I do not own a pitt bull and I am certainly NOT a redneck so, you might want to look at your comment again! Just an animal lover who loathes ignorant pet owners!!!!!

Loooserrr

This is a very serious matter...In 2007, the 'artist' Guillermo Vargas Habacuc, took a dog from the street, tied him to a rope in an art gallery, and starved him to death. For several days, the 'artist' and the visitors of the exhibition have watched emotionless the shameful 'masterpiece' based on the dog's agony, until eventually he died.http://www.petitiononline.com/ea6gk/petition.html
Please help animal cruelty

Lolita

Lmao @ #49!

Lolita

#50, you should probably go out and get yourself a pitbull. That's the only thing holding you back from being all the redneck I know you can be!

Kat

Two pitbulls escaped from there enclosure here in Spotsylvania, Virginia, and they killed and elderly lady and her Yorkshire Terrier. They ripped them both to pieces. It was so sad. I think I will personally pass on the breed, because I have children. No thanks!

me

with pleasure miss brenda. and i can do it knowing that my husband, myself and our 2 kids will never be in danger of being mauled or even killed. now go play with your pit. hopefully you won't need stitches.

Lolita

#54, I thought you were about to tell us a joke..."Two pit bulls walked into a bar...."

Just kidding. That really is terrible, and yet not at all surprising from the breed.