"Lost" Diary -- The Shape of Things to Come

4/25/2008 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

LostHey, Daniel from TMZ here -- welcome to another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

My friend Chris has been great about IMing me the morning of "Lost" and giving me a good one-liner that really sets me up for this blog. Thursday morning he only sent me this: "I totally forgot that 'Lost' started back up tonight. That's like f**king Christmas." Couldn't have said it better myself.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. I am watching tonight's episode of "Lost" solo -- I needed to watch the East Coast feed so I wouldn't end up staying up all night. Gotta get my shuteye. Let's roll:

10:02 -- Previously on "Lost" has never been so useful. I almost forgot what was going on, it's been so long. So there was a plane crash, right?

10:03 -- I like when "Lost" ends chaotically one week, then starts off slow the next. Particularly when that slow start consists of Kate in a state of undress.

10:04 -- When you're hoping a boat is going to come and rescue you, having the doctor of said boat wash up dead on shore is probably a bad omen. Just a thought.

10:05 -- "Australia is the key to the whole game." -- Hurley. Fun fact: I have never played Risk.

10:06 -- Predictably, Alex turns off the super fence. Question -- is Rousseau really dead? I go with no.

10:07 -- "They're here." -- Ben. Carol Anne, is that you?

10:11 -- I managed to go this entire week without seeing one "Lost" commercial or reading a single spoiler. So the fact that this is a Ben flash-forward is a complete surprise to me. Color me excited.

10:12 -- Ben seems to have fallen from the sky and landed in the Sahara Desert, with a wounded arm, and stumbled onto a couple of guys on horses wearing turbans and armed with Ak-47s. Clearly someone slipped me acid during the commercial break.

10:13 -- I have to admit, Ben going all Jason Bourne on those guys was kind of a letdown. Ben is like the guy from "Princess Bride" -- he's all intellect. I don't like the fact he's got a black belt, too. It's inconceivable.

10:15 -- "When? When is kind of a relative term." -- Farraday. I missed that guy.

10:16 -- One of my biggest pet peeves about "Lost' is how there are dozens of random people running around who never say or do anything. Apparently the producers have decided to cut that number down by having some of them walk into gunfire. Natural selection.

10:17 -- "Lost" does gunfights about as well as Britney Spears sings. BTW -- did Claire just blow up? That would be anticlimactic.

10:20 -- Dean Moriarty is checking into the Tunisia Hilton ... but he's not 100% sure of the year. Nothing unsuspicious about that.

10:21 -- Sayid is on the TV, and apparently his wife is dead. R.I.P. Nadia.

10:22 -- Ben is planning a field trip to Jacob's cabin and it involves Hurley. Better pack an extra picnic basket.

10:24 -- Ding dong! Miles is at the door and he's got a walkie-talkie.

10:29 -- Yup, Nadia is dead and here comes Ben to pay his respects.

10:31 -- Ben has finally tracked down Sayid and we're beginning to see how he recruited Sayid to work for him -- by exploiting Nadia's death. Same way he always gets people to do what he wants.

10:36 -- Ok, I didn't go minute-by-minute during the Ben vs. Martin mercenary scene for a reason -- I couldn't. As someone who pours over the minutia of "Lost' every week, I have come to learn something. Since there are so many characters spread out over the island, "Lost" has a ton of scenes, usually lasting about a minute, maybe two in length. But when they decide to hunker down for a good five-minute scene, look out. I loved this scene, I really didn't know how it was going to play out. Have we ever seen Ben truly lose in a situation? Not this badly, that's for sure. A+ scene.

10:37 -- Oh, almost forgot -- R.I.P. Alex.

10:40 -- "He changed the rules." -- Ben. He's not taking this well at all.

10:41 -- Ben scurried off into his fortress of solitude and then snuck off into a Batcave. I literally couldn't make another comic book reference if I tried.

10:44 -- "Benjamin, who is next?" -- Sayid. Ben is pretty happy with himself.

10:45 -- Black Smoke Monster? Hey, it's Ben. Well, not so good actually. I was wondering if you could do me a favor. I am locked inside a house and these six mercenary guys are trying to kill me and they just executed my daughter right in front of me. Yeah, I know. Sucks, right? Do you think you could take care of them for me? Really? Oh, man I totally owe you one. Say hi to the Mrs. for me. Linus, out.

10:50 -- Bernard, who never ceases to surprise, exposed Farraday for lying about the Morse code message. BTW -- Jack looks likes grim death.

10:52 -- After a bit of a pissing match, Hurley agrees to go with Locke and Ben. Of course he does, he has to find the cabin.

10:54 -- Ben is heading up to the penthouse suite of some building in London. Any predictions on who is there? I am going with Penny, and Ben kills her.

10:55 -- Close, it's Charles Widmore. That was the safe bet.

10:56 -- Why can't Ben kill Widmore?

10:57 -- "I know who you are, boy, what you are. I know that everything you have you took from me." Widmore to Ben.

10:58 -- "I'm here Charles to tell you I'm going to kill your daughter. Penelope, is it?" -- Ben to Widmore. I was close!

10:59 -- "Sleep tight, Charles." -- Ben

I used to judge an episode of "Lost" by what we learned that week. Lately though, I feel like we're learning less each week than ever before (as if that was possible). Yet, I still find myself enjoying every week, even though every episode fails my "What did we learn?" test.

This week is no different; we learned a few things (Ben can control the smoke monster, for example). But how many big "reveals" have we really had this season? Can't say I have ever been totally blown away at any point.

Tonight though gave us a handful of new questions, which on "Lost" is the far more common occurrence. How does Ben control the smoke monster? How he did land up in the desert? Why can't he kill Widmore? Why does Widmore think the island was once his? What happened to the boat doctor and why did the boat people think he was fine? What are the "rules" Ben spoke of? Why did "Lost" start at 10:02? Did America really need two extra minutes of "Grey's"?

In the end, I found this to be another solid episode of "Lost" -- I enjoyed it the whole way through, even if it never gave me that "OH MY GOD!!!!" moment, though I loved the Alex execution scene. Solid B from me.

I am bringing back an oldie but goodie for my question to you this week -- if you could have one "Lost" question answered next week, which would it be?

Johnny_No_Name

This EP Rocked always so many questions and Answers to be heard and found. I agree with camibaby0217 you love ben but hate hi at the same time.

The big Question? I think anyways is that BEN is he the devil and CHARLES god and are they just playing a game with the lives of everyone in the world and on the island who knows great ep though

Docster

I dont know why when watching this episode at the end when Ben was talking to Widmore, yes i definitely got a sense of sibling rivalry BUT it was more than that, much more stronger, i felt like i was watching 2 sides of the same person changed by different events. Could it be that Ben IS Widmore and Widmore IS Ben? lets face it this season has covered a lot about time anomolies, we have Faraday stating that reality and time etc are relative, we have Ben confirming that IT IS 2005, obvioulsy he has some means of travelling through time, he didnt seem bothered about the month just the year, again why?
I am wondering if sometime before perhaps when they first stumbled across the island or the device if Ben/Widmore became split from one another the same person in different times, and that is why Widmore is stating it was his island and he wants it back, just like Jack in one of the first flash forwards we had was desperate to return to the island, why? perhaps he finds out about the device and thinks that he can change things? again these are just thoughts running through my head, but i love how this show can do that to you!

Laura

I thought this was the 2nd best episode after The Constant.

My question to be answered: Who the hell was in the casket at the end of last season? If I get no other Lost question answered, it needs to be that one!

Loved the telephone conversation - that was great!

Shannon

i always read your blog, and look forward to it every Friday morning when I get to work. I don't know if it was the hiatus, but you seemed to miss the whole episode. It was fantastic, and your assessment was lackluster. I am disappointed, and I hope you will realize that tonight's episode was amazing. You are great at what you do, I just can't believe you were so off tonight.

CC

Am I the only one who felt like I was watching the Heat Miser and Snow Miser have a spat in Widmore's bedroom? My first guess in watching the scene was that they were estranged were brothers of some sort. Cain vs Abel?

G.A.R.

When Ben landed in the desert he was wearing a parka, the island is in the tropics, no need for a parka, the parka also had the name Halliwax a.k.a. Dr. Marvin Candle (the guy in the Dharma videos), why? Ben and Whidmore may be brothers (The Bad Twin). as far a the polar bears goes, I think that Dharma used them to test the time and or the travel machine. they ended up in the desert just like Ben did. I wonder if Ben might be Tovard Hanso, and Whidmore and Hanso have had a long family frued going?
The question I'd like answered is "What is kate's phone number?" Just kinding

Michelle in Clwtr

Whats in the batcave is....His portal to travel off the island! He leaves the island and re-enters there in private so noone else knows what his capabilities. He went in the room and came back dirty. I think he left the island at that moment, and then returned a few minutes (island time). Time moves super slow on the island, so when he zipped out of the batcave to who knows where, he was probably there for a few hours.

peachy16

The reason the ship answers that the doctor is fine is that time is all screwed up. The present is the past and the future is the present. As in, "when is a kind of relative term."

JP

Widmore can't die for the same reason that Michael can't die...it just seemed like he couldn't get back to the island and he continues to spend his wealth trying to find it.

JP

Michael is in the coffin!! He's the only one that fits the profile.

LostBaby

To start - Bens mom died giving birth to him. Janitor dad never mentioned having another kid so I think that blows the Ben Whidmore good brother bad brother theory!!!
OK - Thought this epi an A+++!!!!! It had more OMG moments then any other LOST epi I can remember!!
Not sure how - but love theory of Whidmore Hanso & Paik (Suns dad) being in cahoots!!!
Whidmore claiming Island was his was AMAZING!!!! BUT Bens answer was even MORE AMAZING!!!! And it was one of those Ben moments that make every words utter out of his mouth so Creepily Amazing!!! You'll have to find it first!!! Which tells us this - even though his freighter stumbled upon island either non of them survived or Islands whereabouts were never clear to them!!!

LOSTinCT_LookinForBoston

Hey everyone, I have read this Blog for awhile but this is my first time posting..

I want to say after having the Lost hiatus, i LOVED this episode. Every espisode gives more questions of course but I liked the few that were answered.. Knowing how Ben was able to get Sayid to work for him.. Ben can control the smoke.

I only read the first 15 comments.. To the person who made the post for the number ten comment about the name Ben gave as his alias. I must admit I'm not so into Sherlock Homes, howver DEAN MORIARTY is hugely famous from the book "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac. It was name he used for his real life friend Neal Cassady because he did not want to use the real names in his work. I was the only person who recognized the name at all from the group that was watching it. Does any one know why Ben would pick this name? Does the character from Sherlock Homes use Dean as the first name too? Just curious.

The question I would most like answered is "who or what exactly is Jacob?" I doubt very much that would get answered in one episode.

I did find it really interesting that Jack is sick when the island is known for healing, The only oher person who get that sick was Ben right? Ben needed to know what year it was in his future flash.

Also.. and this is just a theory.. when Widmore & Ben were arguing and Widmore said "this is my island "IT HAS BEEN FOR YEARS" why has it been for years? Is it because he is the head of the Dharma Initiative and was the power behind this research team? I think it is. And I think his war with Ben has been going on since Ben had all the workers executed many years ago. When Ben took over as "leader". Now Widmore wants to reclaim what is/was his? This is probably not an original theory but it's what I think. I wonder if their war has any other "rules"?

And finally I thought it was shocking the way Alex was executed.. I did think Ben had something up his sleeve. Even so.. I really really hope Ben does not get to kill Penny!! I really like her and Desmond. Thanks for readin my post :) - Lisa

scott

Kerouac's MORIARTY is constantly searching for his father. Is it possible tha Linus and Widmore are locked in a son versus father clash? I know the janitor was presented as Ben's father but maybe it would explain the janitor's open hositilty (other then his wife dying during childbirth) toward Ben. The ability to time travel does take a little of the supernatural aspect out of many theories. However there is still Jacob and the smoke. The only questions should be;

1. Why did only six get off the island?
2. What happened to the rest?

Jacky

I'm disappointed that you made a remark about Hurley and bringing another picnic basket...I know he is a fictional character...but he's a really cool one...I enjoy reading your Lost diary because of your intelligent humor...I think this particular comment should have been either way more clever or just not said at all...it's ok to be sarcastic and cynical...but it's better to be silent than be generic, common or boring.

jfar

Great episode. I LOVE Ben, what a great performance! Theory ... Ben can't kill Widmore because "the island won't let him." Just like with Michael.

Jack's father is a KEY mystery figure in all of this. More to come I'm sure ...

Also ... as Ben released Smokie did anyone notice the door he went through? It looked ancient. I'm wondering about that? The black stick Ben held in his hand is also key. It could be a tracking device that allows him to travel space time.

The biggest question for me is ... why doesn't Ben or Juliet talk more about the mystery powers of the island???? Why is everyone SO GUARDED???

LOVE THIS SHOW!!!