"Idol" Is a Diamond in the Rough

4/29/2008 6:49 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Proving that "American Idol" is on the cutting edge of the music industry, tonight the wannabes will be singing the hits of ... Neil Diamond?! And you thought Andrew Lloyd Webber was lame! TMZ moles have once again obtained the song list, but we got some bad news -- the Taylor Hicks' in-training are singing two songs each. It's gonna be a long one, folks.
Neil Diamond

Mayu

At least Taylor Hicks can sing.

None of these one trick ponies can

jaye-caroline

You guys need to catch up! These songs were leaked earlier this morning on other forums, and the songs were all the same as from your mole. . . Soooo, POST THEM SOONER!

davey

I think ryan seacrest might be gay....

rockoff3

BORING. I don't like/know any Neil Diamond songs, and they are making them sing TWO of them. I don't think the ratings will be high tonight. They really missed the mark on this one. :(

howcome

how come david archuleta gets the two best songs?

Kat

I hope that crybaby beyotch Brooke White goes home this week. I can't stand her!!!!!

JM

Please! How much time is this wasting everyone?

joy

Could we please, please vote David Archuleta off the island? My god, his creepiness has made this show absolutely unwatchable. Only David Cook & my Tivo have kept me watching at all.

And Neil Diamond? what were they thinking? seriously wrong for this show.

Jenny

THANKS FOR THE SONGS!!!
David Archuleta will is GOLDEN!!
VOTE FOR DAVID ARCHULETA!

jack bauer

LOL! Thanks TMZ...They all suck esp david archleta! He acts all meek and kid-like its really annoying. However i cant wait to watch Neil Diamond night...im going to lmao!!!

jaye-caroline

I am crazy for Jason Castro. . . and I don't like Neil Diamond, but I have a feeling that Castro and Cook will make their songs good! But the rest. . . . not so much.

Me

Neil Diamond is distinctive in that "I'm just gonna sit here and write a song and then sing it" kind of way. He's incredibly talented, has had so many hits, but he's just wayyyyy too mellow to translate well for Idol. So all of this, according to AI Song Interpretation 101, will be B O R I N G. Brooke will be mellow. Syesha will be soulful. David A. will have the pit wavers doing their thing. Jason will try to warble his best and is out of his element again (and I like Jason, but it's true).

The only hope for any real excitement tonight...and I hope I'm wrong, or it's going to be a loooooooooooooooong hour....is David Cook, who may try some creative singing again.

Who in the heck comes UP with these brilliant artist choices? If it's Nigel, may I suggest we tie him to a stake and make him listen to William Hung albums.

Melissa

No way! The Andrew Lloyd Weber is the LAMEST!!!

JM

looking for reject idol talent - CALL ME!

sugar1967

And they wonder why their ratings are way down???? Mariah Carey, Andrew Lloyd Weber and now Neil Diamond?? Not sure what kind of crowd they are trying to attract but this is the first year that I don't make a point of watching. This just doesn't excite the norm. Someone PLEASE let them know that they need to get back to having the contestants pick what suits them from a large number of artists - not one artist. This is borrrrring........

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments