ABC Suffers From Promophobia

5/8/2008 4:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

ABC had no problem throwing Isaiah Washington under the bus when "Grey's Anatomy" was doing big ratings -- and they have no problem using him in promos now that the show is in a ratings freefall.

Promos for this week's episode feature Isaiah's mug -- and his character is even part of the storyline this week. One problem -- he ain't in it! Isaiah is actually down in New Orleans shooting a new movie with Forest Whitaker.

We're told Isaiah is pissed at the show for using his pic, after they 86'd him from the show because of that whole despicable "faggot" thing.

Isaiah's rep, Howard Bragman, tells TMZ, "Isaiah has no plans to go back to 'Grey's Anatomy' ... That being said, we were more than a little surprised that ABC used his likeness in a promo for the show, and indeed advanced his character's storyline. Mr. Washington's attorney has contacted the Screen Actors Guild and ABC as to the appropriateness of that action."

A rep for ABC could not be reached for comment.

Frisco

ABC is surely going to pay him right??? They are using his personal image. not just the dr.'s name...idiots...

Grateful she's not my mom.

I CAN'T HELP IT. I HOPE GREYS ANATOMY TOTALLY FLOPS AFTER THE BS THEY CAUSED ISAIAH AND THEIR OWN SHOW! THAT IS WHAT IT WAS . . . PURE BS, ISAYA!

Always stand up for who you are Isaiah, and everyone should too.

mes

I'm so glad to see that people are sticking up for Isaiah (finally)

L.S

They should of kept Isaiah and got rid of the F**. sorry but he does NOTHING for the show.

moneyman

ha ha that show sucks without ISAIAH i hope they cann the the show for low ratings ant they deserve everything they get for treating him the way they did!! young black men have no reason the watch that show its so outta touch ha ha ha!!!

tba

This is a story about NOTHING.

Jackiemichele

Good for Isaiah. I'm not a fan of that word or any type of derogatory remark but I do believe ABC did the wrong thing for their show. I think I've only watched a couple of epis since then. It just hasn't been the same for me.

lise

Krisee3113AL

I stopped watching the show the moment that they made a big deal out of this. Some people watched the show just because of a particular character. I happened to enjoy Isaiah and could not be a loyal viewer after they threw him out the way they did. I am so glad that McDreamy. McSteamy, Iggy, and all the other Grey's Anatomy cast realize that the viewers have a say at their jobs. I hope the cast member that did not stand up for Isaiah feel the pinch when they have to look for another job. The show was so sure that they could afford to loose him and the laugh is on them.

HARDY-HAR-HAR

The show OWNS the character "Dr. Burke." They're using the character in their show because he was a big part of the story. Big deal. They can use him for the next 20 years of they want. It's THEIR show and THEIR character and they OWN the character and the rights. Period.

They owe Isaiah absolutely nothing. He got himself fired. He can blame himself for that, no one else.

rachel

Grey's Anatomy is still on the air? Who watches that crap?

L.S

Grey's stinks now it's so boring.

fg

I used to watch Grey's every week, but it's gone downhill. It's kind of funny that George has slept with almost all the females on the show. It's just too soapy for me ! I thought Christina & Burke were so good together! Burke had a strength & arrogance about him that made the whole hospital thing seem real. I stopped watching after Isaiah was fired. Read something on HN that Burke was coming back !!! - ticks me off that its only a picture of him :(

Liz

ABC owns the "Burke" character! Why is this a story??

Bird

8. Actors do not own a character; the show does. Many soap opra characters are played by multiple actors. Isah needs to get on with his life and let it go.

Posted at 3:30PM on May 8th 2008 by lise

They might own the character, but no way to they own Isaiah's likeness. So sure they could have talked about Dr. Burke, but just like the soaps they need to be using a differant actor not someone they fired and are no longer paying for his likeness. I hope he sues their butts and I'm glad the ratings dropped since he was fired. That's what they get for being sneaky.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments